the delphic expanse

(1x04) Please Don't Smell the Daisies: Strange New World!

Moderator: EntAllat

Re: (1x04) Please Don't Smell the Daisies: Strange New World

Postby Brandyjane » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:28 pm

I think they were setting it up so that T'Pol could be believably put together with either Archer or Trip down the line.

I like your observation about the first names, Entkayjay. I hadn't noticed it before, but you're right. I like the familiarity these people have with one another. They're a fairly small crew and they aren't really military (or are they?), so it does seem believable that they'd be on more of a first name basis at times, even between ranks. And I love the baseball caps, too! I don't wear hats, but I'd like to have one of those.
Brandyjane
Lt. Commander

Postby paulinem » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:51 pm

Hummingbird2 wrote:Paulinem, I believe the story you're thinking of is The Omega Training Mission (I think that's the title) by Erin Chase aka Wired Witch, rated G. Posted on W5C and ff.net.

WOW! You've got great knowledge, Hummingbird! Thanks for that! Yes, that was the story!

Entkayjay wrote: • I'm glad we got glimpses of their hallucinations, as well as hearing the voices. Has more impact.

I’d have to say that this had me wondering, right to the very end, if they were indeed hallucinating!?!

Enterprise S5 Website
The continuing adventures of a show that ended too soon...
paulinem
Captain

Postby Hummingbird2 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:06 am

You're welcome, Pauline! Glad I could help. :)
Icon by TwilightProwler.
Hummingbird2
Commander

Postby tish » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:07 pm

This is a delightful one, with good range provided by the actors....I think that so early in the series, to have this level of naturalness from the actors, that is a good indication that the cast was very solid in their craft....lucky us!

Some of my favorite scenes.....

TRAVIS: It's beautiful all right, but I couldn't call a place home unless it came with a pair of warp nacelles.
TUCKER: Boomers.

T'POL: We've identified several nocturnal marsupials. I'd like to keep crewmen Cutler and Novakovich with me overnight to study them.
ARCHER: I'm glad to see you're getting into the spirit of things. Pick you up in the morning.
TUCKER: Captain, if it's all right with you, Travis and I'd like to stay as well.
TRAVIS: We would?
TUCKER: When was the last time you slept under the stars? There's plenty of camping gear in the pod.
T'POL: This isn't shore leave, this is a research mission.
ARCHER: Why can't it be a little bit of both? Research isn't the only reason we're out here. Pitch your tent, Commander.
TUCKER: Thanks, Captain. (to T'Pol) Don't worry, we'll keep out of your hair.

TRAVIS: Are we allowed to squash alien life forms?
TUCKER: If they're inside your sleeping bag. (T'Pol is watching from her tent) There it is, wait a minute. Where'd you put the phase pistols?
TRAVIS: You wanna shoot a bug?
TUCKER: I'm just going to stun it.

TUCKER: Challenge you preconceptions or they'll challenge you.
T'POL: Commander?
TUCKER: That's something Mister Velik used to say. Tenth grade biology class. He was a Vulcan scientist (who came to teach us about life on other worlds. I'd never seen a Vulcan before, not up close. He scared the hell out of me.
T'POL: Perhaps it's not too late to follow his advice.

^^^These are some of the moments that I found that gave insight to the characters and developed the lighter notes of dialog that makes all Trek stories so much fun, keeps you on your toes when you watch them the first time and makes you laugh in delight when you revisit the episode.

And I do agree that Kellie Weymire as Elizabeth Cutler was a gem, so very refreshing and lovely. There is a wonderful blooper moment with her, Blalock and Billingsly in the scene in 2D2N in Phlox's quarters when they are trying to wake him up.....she has such a wonderful laugh, it just draws you to her so appealingly, it was so sad to lose her too early. The bloopers are on the last DVD in each season.

And a picture that represents the chemistry between Blalock and Trinneer....WOW!

TRIP: Hold on. You never said anything about feet.
T'POL: Is that a problem?
TRIP: Well, for one thing, I haven't had a shower since this morning, and I know how sensitive that Vulcan nose of your can be.And I'm a little ticklish.Maybe more than a little.
tish
Commander

Postby EntAllat » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:09 pm

Bumping this post up! Will be doing this to all the old re-watch posts until we reach the point where we stopped. Then it's re-watch time again!
EntAllat
Site Admin

Previous

Return to 2011 Rewatch Party