the delphic expanse

A Fond Farewell

For all things relating to Archer and T'Pol as a pair.

A Fond Farewell

Postby EntAllat » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:56 pm

It's time.

The Delphic Expanse has had a long and remarkable run as a fan forum dedicated to Star Trek: Enterprise. But as we all know from TNG, "All Good Things..." Activity in our little community has fallen off considerably in recent years, as has new membership, and volunteer time to maintain the site. So, we're bidding you a fond farewell (and invite you to check out Star Trek: Discovery!) before we archive the site. You'll still be able to visit the site here, click around and read past public posts, but there will be no ability to login.

The Delphic Expanse fiction archive will remain available for the foreseeable future, and we encourage you to continue to write Enterprise fanfic and post it there, or leave reviews for our fantastic authors!
EntAllat
Site Admin

Re: A Fond Farewell

Postby jespah » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:26 am

Thank you for everything.

I think Trek discussion is down unless it's a larger site like the Trek BBS or AO3 or on Facebook. But that's kind of what Facebook has done. It's swallowing forums left and right. Anything that's left is large and more generalized. Niches are being filled by Facebook pages and groups (and not too well, I might add).

This has been a fun and supportive place. I met my podcasting partner here. :)

I hope we can all connect in the future. My username is my domain (one of a few, actually; I also own my real name as my domain). That might be the easiest way to find me if you don't know my real name - which I don't mind giving out. Of course I would love to hear from all and sundry via a contact page or Facebook or even Twitter @shrinkingjes

Godspeed to all, wherever you may fly.
jespah
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:23 am

Even though circumstances forced me to move on, it still hurts to see it go.

BTW, jespah, you're absolutely right. However, add reddit to that. Can't say I participate in either,though.

Goodbye, all.
crystalswolf

Postby Aquarius » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:27 am

Hello, everyone.

It's been a long time. My participation here slowed down and then came to a screeching halt during my master's program. I kept having good intentions about coming back here especially since I was one of the founders, but I suppose that even when I did have time, guilt kept me away. I'm now more than halfway through a Ph.D program - hopefully in a little more than a year, I'll be Dr. Aquarius. 8-)

I think of many of you often, and I would like to stay connected. I don't know if our mail domain will continue to work after this, but for now, if you want to stay connected, please reach out to me at Aquarius@thedelphicexpanse.com, and I'll give you my real-life contact details.

We had a lot of good talks here, a lot of support, and honestly, I am so, SO grateful to Enterprise for bringing me the decade-long friendship Honeybee and I have had and all of you who became my real-life friends as well.

As Jespah said, it does seem that Facebook groups have swallowed up fandom...and that makes me sad, because just the other day, I was lamenting the lack of thoughtful, insightful discussion - like what we always had here - and how that's been replaced by repetition, thoughtlessness, and just plain cruelty - the latter of which we created this place in order to escape. This is particularly true now that, for some fans, Star Trek: Discovery has replaced Enterprise as the "redheaded stepchild" of the fandom - the divisive vitriol in the Facebook groups, even the ones that purport to be positive, makes me long for a place like this where I can talk about it and people know how to behave.

Just know that I love you all and I'm proud of what we built here, and I'm glad it'll still be here for us to revisit, even if we can't add to the conversation. Thank you all for being such a big part of my life for all those years. I was going through some awful personal stuff when I found the Enterprise and Trip/T'Pol fandom, and this place was instrumental in helping me to get on a good path where I'm happy and can say that I'm living up to my potential.

Keep in touch.

-Aq
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Reanok » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:43 pm

I just want to say thanks to the Moderators I really liked the message boards. I'm still glad you'll still be posting stories from New Authors. :cheering :woohoo :happydance :happydance :waveit :waveit :greenguy :greenguy :vulcan
Reanok
Captain

Postby Cap'n Frances » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:20 pm

I'm very sad to say goodbye. I came to Enterprise fandom late, but I really enjoyed this site. I hadn't spent much time here lately, but I'm retiring from my current job in about two months. I'm hoping to have more time for my non-professional pursuits, including fan fiction. I know I'll have other places to read and to publish my writing, but I'll miss this one.

Many thanks to the moderators for all your hard work over the years and to everyone else who contributed to this site's success. I've only had the chance to meet one person (Jespah) in real life and that was only briefly. I hope I'll be able to keep in touch with many of you and perhaps eventually to meet in real life.

Take care.

Frances
Cap'n Frances
Lieutenant

Postby Cap'n Frances » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:35 pm

One other thing - if you'd like to get in touch with me, you can e-mail me at capnfrances@gmail.com.

Please keep in touch and as we say in the Navy, fair winds and following seas!

Frances
Cap'n Frances
Lieutenant

Postby T'Arwen » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:49 pm

If anyone is looking for a Facebook group with polite discussion, The Babel Conference is it. It has moderators and many members says it's one of the few places they feel comfortable. Mainly it's the Facebook page for Trek FM podcasts, which means more ways to waste time.

Although I wish I found the site in its heyday, it's how I learned about Trek FM. I fell down a wonderful rabbit hole through podcasts that opened my eyes in ways I could not have imagined. I returned the favor by recommending this site and Semantic Shenanigans to TBC.
T'Arwen
Ensign

Postby Cap'n Frances » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:09 pm

One question (hopefully) before you go. If I understood correctly, we can continue to post fiction in the archive. How does that work? I was planning to post a WIP, but I don't want to post what I have so far if I won't be able to post the rest of the story.

Thanks again for everthing you've done here. I hope our paths will cross again soon.

Frances
Cap'n Frances
Lieutenant

Postby EntAllat » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:50 pm

Cap'n Frances wrote:One question (hopefully) before you go. If I understood correctly, we can continue to post fiction in the archive. How does that work? I was planning to post a WIP, but I don't want to post what I have so far if I won't be able to post the rest of the story.

Thanks again for everthing you've done here. I hope our paths will cross again soon.

Frances

Yes indeed. Your current login should still work there, separately from this forum site. (http://www.thedelphicexpanse.com/archive/)
I and the other admins will still be maintaining and moderating the archive, so fiction will still go through the validations and posting process, and the latest fiction will still appear on the sidebar of the archive's front page. It just won't get announced here anymore.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Next

Return to Archer and T'Pol (Het)