the delphic expanse

What's the best Archer/T'Pol episode?

For all things relating to Archer and T'Pol as a pair.

Postby Bineshii » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:19 am

Hey, Twilight was not in the list for voting on. So I selected "other". I thought Twilight was the best Archer/T'Pol story.
Bineshii
Cadet

Postby Honeybee » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:43 am

Duh! My bad. I love Twilight - I need to now psychoanalyze myself as to why I would overlook the episode that inspired me to write an A/T story. :orly

Thanks for pointing out the obvious!
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Destinye » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:32 pm

I voted Shadows of P'jem, because for me, well, I just enjoyed that episode.
{You're good at fixing things, I'm good at blowing them up}; Lieutenant Reed
Destinye
Commander

I Chose Other

Postby asearcher » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:55 am

I chose other because I find it so hard to chose for any one episode.

All through the show, there was a distinct Archer/T'Pol storyline running. I'll just put a few episodes not listed above down to illustrate. I could point out much more, but that would get tedious. While some of these are not 100% A/T episodes...they do show the arc throughout the series.

Broken Bow: His initial attitude, his surprise that she would continue the mission, his willingness to put aside his pride to ask her to continue with them shows his willingness to change deep seated attitudes

The Andorian Incident/Shadows of P'Jehm: A potent combo. Who could ever forget T'Pol taking the cover in the former. I loved that piece. And Archer's outrage in the latter is directly related to his seeing that T'Pol has acted honestly and is being punished for it.

Breaking the Ice/Fallen Hero: Although this is not specifically a combo, both show more on the tensions that Archer felt with most Vulcans but his willingness to learn from T'Pol is evident. He's still not 100% but the trust between them is growing stronger.

Acquisition/Two Days Two Nights/Singularity/The Catwalk/Future Tense/Extinction/Carpenter Street/Damage/Bound/These Are the Voyages: I love the various interactions between A/T in all of these. They all show growth in the relationship between the two...the deep seated friendship and trust between them. Quite a bit of humor as well.

Shockwave: Having T'Pol stand up to the Vulcans, her willingness to go with something Archer asked her to believe even when it went against her beliefs, and Archer's coming to her in the night to thank her as soon as he knew were all important parts of the ongoing storyline.

Fusion/Stigma: This combo is another where Archer is facing that the reality that his own actions and prejudices have lead to this issue for T'Pol. If he hadn't pushed her to spend time with that group of Vulcans because on the outside he preferred them, she wouldn't have contracted Penar's syndrome. Again, there's the "I'll fight for justice for you" in Archer's actions with the doctors.

Impulse/Twilight: Another combo. Archer's concern for T'Pol and his refusal to leave her behind (not on the Selaya but when she asks to be dropped off after she begins to recover in sickbay) is a critical part of this episode. He knows that they should line the hull but he's unwilling to put her at risk. Add to the storyline her self created addition to Trellium and the fact that if the ship had been lined, Twilight wouldn't have occurred and you again have almost a reverse (although not exact) of the Fusion/Stigma situation.

E2: I realize that many will see this as purely a T/T episode (and I will agree that is a major component.) However, it is telling when Archer and the older T'Pol meet. There is a connection there and it's potent. It also seems very clear that after the alternate Trip died, Lorian transferred a good deal of his feelings towards the alternative Archer. It is not stated specifically, but I would imagine after alternative Trip's death, the alternative Archer took on a fatherly role for Lorian, hence his devotion to the promise he made at that Archer's deathbed. This isn't to say alternative Archer supplanted alternative Trip in Lorian's mind, rather that as Trip's best friend, Archer would try to provide that balance for his friend's son. Again, at the start, when T'Pol tells Lorian to seek out the original Archer and throughout the episode, there is a trust between the alternative T'Pol and Archer that is played throughout the episode.

Like I say, many, many episodes where that relationship is fleshed out. This is not to denigrate any other relationships built throughout the show, but simply is stating that the A/T relationship was based (as the show evolved) on a greater and greater mutual appreciation, friendship, and trust between those characters.

Whereas the building relationship and heavy romance between T/T was a distinct part of the show, that doesn't preclude any later relationship between A/T which (based on Home), Archer would never have actually pursued while T'Pol was under his command (Starfleet based or not.)

Just my take on the whole thing.
H'Len

I'm a BLONDE Vulcan...I'm MOSTLY logical.
asearcher
Lt. Commander

Re: What's the best Archer/T'Pol episode?

Postby gammara » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:38 pm

A bunch are really good - Azati Prime, Damage, Twilight, etc. I chose the Vulcan Arc, because I loved seeing the characters on Vulcan. I like that T'Pol was Vulcanly. I liked exploring more about the Vulcan people and their traditions. I liked the story arc, except wanting T'Pol to help kick butt at the end.

Thanks for the poll!
gammara
Ensign

Postby Honeybee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:57 pm

Welcome, Gammara! You're welcome.

I've a soft spot for the Vulcan Arc myself!
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Mistress Euclid » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:22 pm

It's a very subtle episode, but I love Archer & T'Pol's interaction in First Flight.

Welcome, gammara! It's nice to see a new "face".
I have an AT&T avatar and you don't.
(Thanks to Misplaced!)
Mistress Euclid

Postby Brandyjane » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:50 pm

I agree, Mistress. I don't think most Vulcans would be very comfortable going out of their way to draw out a human in pain. I don't mean to say that they wouldn't be sympathetic, just that I assume it would be too intimate for most Vulcans. The fact that T'Pol does go out of her way to reach out to Jon really shows how close they've become.
Brandyjane
Lt. Commander

Previous

Return to Archer and T'Pol (Het)