the delphic expanse

What is it about this 'ship that grabs you?

For all things relating to Archer and T'Pol as a pair.

Re: What is it about this 'ship that grabs you?

Postby Kathy Rose » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:51 am

I thought quite a while about A/T'Pol before posting. I guess I've never really seen them as a pairing during the time period in the series, but after that. There's that initial period of mistrust in the series, which eventually gives way to friendship and respect as they work together and get to know more about each other. Somewhere after the time period of the series I can see them having a more personal relationship. That would be a great area to explore, because both of them, despite their incidents of defying authority, would be greatly influenced by their duty to their respective peoples of Earth and Vulcan. I think they'd honor those responsibilities first, unless there were exceptional circumstances.
Old enough to know better, but that's never stopped me before.
Kathy Rose
Captain

Re: What is it about this 'ship that grabs you?

Postby Archerite » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:35 am

I enjoyed the Archer/T'Pol relationship as presented in the series because I saw it as the prototype for the Human Captain / Vulcan XO pairings that are a Trek classic, culminating of course in Kirk/Spock. The in-universe 'how it was made' bits of Enterprise are one of my favorite things about this series. I loved watching them both overcome their prejudices against each other and move towards genuine friendship and loyalty. Their friendship is to me the most important aspect of their relationship and, in my view, that friendship, along with their responsibilities as captain and first officer, take precedence over any romantic feelings they may have for each other. And that's what attracts me to the Archer/T'Pol ship: the fact that they work so well together, and yet they can't really give in to their personal wishes, at least not while their mission together lasts.

I really loved the way "Twilight" handled this matter. After they had both been more or less forced to give up their positions on the Enterprise, they become involved on a more personal level. Sure, Archer never remembers anything, but T'Pol is free to allow her feelings to evolve into something more than just camaraderie. The bittersweet implication that T'Pol has had to deal with this growing attraction, while Archer's impaired memory has made it impossible for him to respond to her feelings is something that highly stimulates my creative side. I'd love to do something with that.
Quantum Stills - Screen captures from Captain Archer's leaping days
Archerite
Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Archer and T'Pol (Het)