the delphic expanse

Working relationship

Discussion, story pimpage, and anything else relating to the TnT pairing.

Re: Working relationship

Postby Dinah » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:20 pm

As for the working relationship, I agree with Aquarius that the bond would help them work together even better under "normal" circumstances. I just don't know if it would ever be safe to let one of them be in command if the other's life was in danger. Perhaps they could establish special protocols for how to handle that. Then again, maybe with proper discipline and training they would both be able to be objective about it.

Brandyjane, I think I'm going to have to agree with you about keeping one from being in command of the other. I think Trip and T'Pol would both probably have the strength to make the call which could potentially end the other's life, but I'm not sure either one would recover from it. This, of course, would put Starfleet between a rock and a hard place. They can keep the status quo on Enterprise and hope for the best, they can split them up and Trip and T'Pol may decide to resign, or they can assign them to a planetside facility. The last option sounds the best, I suppose, but that's contigent on the commanders willingness to give up space travel and come to agreement on an assignment and locale.

I'd like to think that the worst would be over for them by the time of Terra Prime, but there are a lot of forces working against them, including their own ongoing problems and insecurities. Just because someone wants a relationship doesn't mean they will always be willing and able to do what is necessary to make it work.

I hope this isn't too cynical. I really want them to live happily ever after, but there are huge obstacles in their path, including those which stem from their own personalities.
Dinah
Lieutenant

Postby Verse Ranger » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:24 pm

Dinah wrote:I'd like to think that the worst would be over for them by the time of Terra Prime, but there are a lot of forces working against them, including their own ongoing problems and insecurities. Just because someone wants a relationship doesn't mean they will always be willing and able to do what is necessary to make it work.

I hope this isn't too cynical. I really want them to live happily ever after, but there are huge obstacles in their path, including those which stem from their own personalities.

I totally agree with this assessment. But then, isn't that what makes them an interesting pair to think/write about?
Verse Ranger
Ensign

Postby Frakme » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:27 pm

I agree with a lot of what has been said. I feel that the bond was too much for Trip to handle and he wasn't given a choice.
The scene were he was pulled into T'Pol's white space was actually quite disturbing - he'd obviously zoned out, what if it had been at critical moment, for example in the middle of a fire fight?
The comnent that Trip made about being sick of the bond made me wonder if he'd have similar thoughts, especially if it had happen again.
What I wouldn't give to have an Episode of Enterprise where Trip somehow manages to loses his uniform and gets covered in Nutella.

Aeryn: And you say you want to go back to that place of pain and suffering!
John: Well you guys don't have chocolate!
Frakme
Commander

Postby Verse Ranger » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:16 pm

Frakme wrote:I agree with a lot of what has been said. I feel that the bond was too much for Trip to handle and he wasn't given a choice.
The scene were he was pulled into T'Pol's white space was actually quite disturbing - he'd obviously zoned out, what if it had been at critical moment, for example in the middle of a fire fight?
The comnent that Trip made about being sick of the bond made me wonder if he'd have similar thoughts, especially if it had happen again.

The bond is one of those things that we can all play with, since there is so little actual canon on it.

My take on Trip getting pulled into the white space was that he was daydreaming about T'Pol at the same time she was meditating trying to box up her feelings about him being gone. They end up in her white space because they are both thinking about each other at the same time and in the same 'mental state' so to speak. I think it's pretty strongly implied that they are experiencing shared dreams as well (there is that conversation at one point about how each of them is sleeping). The implication to me is that they basically have to be in the same semi-conscious state, and thinking about each other to connect, so I don't see Trip getting pulled into T'Pol's white space in the middle of intense action. But that's just my take.

Personally, I don't think the bond would enhance their working relationship much, as they were already very much in tune with each other on work projects for a long time. If anything, it might complicate it if you take the view that it would allow each of them to sense the other's state of mind. No more outward shows of confidence if either of them really thought the situation was grave. And if one pulled rank on the other, I can just imagine the mind fogging static that might cause.

One other little point about rank between the two of them. Technically, when T'Pol formally joins Starfleet, Trip would have technically outranked her. He was a Commander when she joined the crew of Enterprise, so even if they backdated T'Pol's date of rank to her first day on board, Trip still has time in grade on her. I could see that as an interesting point of friction between the two of them.
Verse Ranger
Ensign

Previous

Return to Trip and T'Pol (Het)