the delphic expanse

Essential Reading List

Discussion, story pimpage, and anything else relating to the TnT pairing.

Essential Reading List

Postby THE Rigil Kent » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:20 pm

What fics or stories are on your "Absolutely must read list?" Do you even have a list? Why are these particular stories on that list?

There are two Must Reads on my list:
  • Differential by Zane Gray, primarily because I love his take on season 1 & 2 TnT, as well as the fact that he incorporated the entire crew into his story, something that a lot of fics don't bother with because they're principally "get together" fics. This was probably the first TnT fic I read and I came late to the fanfiction party (not as late as some, but still pretty late.) It also helped me realize that it isn't just women who write fanfiction.
  • Miscommunication by Ragua, mostly because I simply love her sense of humor and I could totally see something like this happening. Not quite to this extent, of course, but given how easily TnT misunderstood things they told each, this story was perfection in that regard.
  • [/list]
None of us are virgins; life has screwed us all. -

Sig by Chrisis1033.

THE Rigil Kent
Lt. Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:53 am

^
I like both of those stories as well, and here's few others I also like:

Finishing with the Beginning by JadziaKathryn, which was one of the first 'stranded on a planet' fics I'd read.

Cry Havoc by MissAnnThropic, for the alternate take on season 3.

and, of course, your Endeavour series, Rigil, because it's the Romulan War, and you do such a good job of using everyone (well, except for poor Travis, LOL), as well as creating your own characters that we end up caring about just as much as the crew we knew from the show...
Jedikatie
Ensign

Postby Misplaced » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:48 am

Let's see... I've read so many fantastic fics over the years (thanks to House of Tucker) that it's hard to pick a small sampling.

I do find that I tend to re-read these fics that have been around for a while, however:

HopefulRomantic's Reconnecting Series. It becomes AU (season 4) but it's well worth the ride. I've always loved her development of "The Family" and her take on Archer. (I won't lie -- it's sometimes hard to find in TnT fic where Archer isn't painted in a negative light. I happen to like the character, myself... flaws and all.)

MissAnthropic's Cry Havoc. Yes, just as JediKatie mentioned... AU season 3 and simply amazing.

And of course, THE Rigil Kent's Endeavor Series. Those should have been our relaunch novels as far as I'm concerned. Mr. Kent is one of the most polished authors I've read in ENT fanfic. Tell me again why you aren't published yet??

New gems by authors newer to the fandom that I can't get enough of:

Alelou's Missing Scenes Series (season 1, season 2, and season 3) She's currently up to "The Hatchery" of season 3. I love how she inserts realistic T/T moments in every episode and seeing the development of their friendship as well as something deeper throughout the series without harming canon.

Transwarp's The Tucker Chronicles: 2155-2160. However, I will admit that I feel like the series really hits its stride with "Command" so don't come after me with pitchforks if you find yourself not "wowed" with the first two stories. :p I like his take on the Romulan war, which is different than Rigil's. (I like BOTH versions.)

BlueTiger's Keep Your Enemies Closer and Is This Any Way to Run a Railroad?... because... I have a crush on Morgan Tucker. A huge, huge crush on him. He's all kinds of awesomesauce!

And I'll read anything by Aquarius and Honeybee.

There are so many others that I love, but this is what came off the top of my head.

:mrgreen:
Misplaced

Postby THE Rigil Kent » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:31 am

Misplaced wrote:Tell me again why you aren't published yet??

Cause I'm a lazy slacker who doesn't write fast enough? Some day, I'd like to actually finish this series...
None of us are virgins; life has screwed us all. -

Sig by Chrisis1033.

THE Rigil Kent
Lt. Commander

Postby Pitseleh » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:27 pm

Here's my list, or at least what I can remember right now:

Differential by Zane Gray. He has some short tales before you go into this story that paint a very cool background to TnT's relationship during the first two seasons.

The series beginning with Reconnecting by HopefulRomantic. It goes AU on Season 4, and it is well written.

MissAnnThropic's Cry Havoc for an alternate version of the Xindi conflict,

Rigil Kent's Endeavour series, beginning with Elysium. My choice of future after Terra Prime.

The Le'Matya Sleeps Tonight by KKGlinka. A very interesting story...
Pitseleh
Lieutenant JG

Postby Reanok » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:11 pm

Zane Gray' story are definitely part of my essentials list Hopeful rmantic's reconnecting series .Ragua's MisCommunication. Rigil's stories. i also like T'Leela's Terra Prime and Fix the finale story.Also Alelou's Missing scenes stories she just posted her Azati prime story.Honey Bee and Aquarious stories. I like Shouldknow Better's The Rainbow's foot.
Reanok
Captain

Postby Hummingbird2 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:37 am

The Happy Medium Universe by Eian Flannagan (on FF.net and TriS). When I first started reading it, I was instantly hooked.
Icon by TwilightProwler.
Hummingbird2
Commander

Postby Reanok » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:17 am

Hummingbird2 wrote:The Happy Medium Universe by Eian Flannagan (on FF.net and TriS). When I first started reading it, I was instantly hooked.

I definetly agree with you Hummingbird I enjoy eian's s tories. Also BlueTigers and alot of other talented authors also.
Reanok
Captain

Re: Essential Reading List

Postby Steelchaser » Wed May 11, 2011 10:39 pm

Pdsidl is missing from the list. I highly recommend any of the stories
Steelchaser
Steelchaser
Ensign

Re: Essential Reading List

Postby Jamieson » Mon May 27, 2013 8:43 am

I honestly don't know what would fill my "ultimate reads" list, but the majority of those said here already are ones I have read and would definitely put on that list, and those I haven't read I now really, really want to :-) I will say, though, that "Differential" was one of the first Enterprise fanfics I read, back in the day when it was originally being posted, and loved it...I know I read it more than once back then. I only dabbled in reading Ent fic back then and wasn't involved in the fandom in any other way, and when the show ended I pretty much wandered away to other pastures. When I returned (with a vengeance!) to the fandom last fall, I just had to re-read it (I never actually took Zane Gray off my author alert list at FF.net - apparently my subconscious was just waiting for the day to come) and I fell in love all over again...while I don't know if I would classify it as my all-time fave (it is up there, though), I can honestly say it's what initially drew my interest in Ent fic all those years ago, and the memory of that story is what told me to delve back into the fanfic community many years later.
Jamieson
Ensign

Next

Return to Trip and T'Pol (Het)