the delphic expanse

Delicious Dysfuction: Archer, Sato and the MU

By popular demand, discuss the captain and his communications officer here. MU? RU? It's all good.

Re: Delicious Dysfuction: Archer, Sato and the MU

Postby Artisticmom2 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:57 am

Kathy Rose wrote:Thank you, Misplaced and Honeybee, for the comments about Familiar Strangers. I'm still surprised that so many people liked that story so much. And now you've given me another plot bunny. What if MU Archer from that story came looking for our Hoshi in the RU in a sequel?

That motion has already been made and seconded, so I am voting for it! <no pressure... :D ;) >

:idea: Here's an interesting theory... what if MU Hoshi slipped MU Archer a drug of choice to simulate death so that he could run off to do whatever now that he was officially dead. Perhaps she did actually have fond feelings for him and was protecting him in some way? OR perhaps he asked her to so that he could run amok behind the scenes while everyone was now focused on Empress Hoshi in her happy Starship full of merry thugs? (saying all of this most nicely, as I love Hoshi!)
Captain Archer: Do you know how to tell him to shut up?
Ensign Hoshi Sato: SHUT UP!
Artisticmom2
Captain

Postby creek_chub » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:37 pm

Artisticmom2 wrote:Here's an interesting theory... what if MU Hoshi slipped MU Archer a drug of choice to simulate death so that he could run off to do whatever now that he was officially dead. Perhaps she did actually have fond feelings for him and was protecting him in some way? OR perhaps he asked her to so that he could run amok behind the scenes while everyone was now focused on Empress Hoshi in her happy Starship full of merry thugs? (saying all of this most nicely, as I love Hoshi!)

I rewatched the MU episodes the other day with this in mind and...yes, I think it could work. Especially in conjunction with what Honeybee said upthread about Archer needing to still be alive if any more MU episodes had been planned. Hoshi doesn't seem to put on the seductive black widow face until Travis enters. Before that, when she asks Archer if he's ok, I think it could be argued that her mannerisms show genuine concern that what's happening to him is what's supposed to happen and he's not actually going to up and die on her for real. Ah, so many more possibilities if this were actually the case! :)

Another thing I wondered as I watched, was about the thought process of the writers when they put Jon and Hoshi together. There's a part of me (that I firmly try to ignore because once the episode was out of their hands and into mine it doesn't matter their intent, only how I perceive it :lol: ) that wonders if they said, "Come on, this is an MU episode, we have to REALLY shock people...oh, how about putting Jon and Hoshi together! No one will see something like that coming!" Meaning that the intentions of the writers all through the series would not have included ANY subtext whatsoever of a Jon/Hoshi romance. :(
Last edited by creek_chub on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
creek_chub
Lieutenant

Postby Honeybee » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:14 pm

Another really, really cool thing that could have happened in the show is our Archer could have visited the MU and met Empress Sato. Imagine, if he was really dead - and RU Archer showed up. She'd think she'd seen a ghost! It would have been awesome to watch.

Obviously, I wrote Transmigration and Carnival because I always wanted those two in the same room and in the same universe.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Brandyjane » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:15 pm

creek_chub wrote: Another thing I wondered as I watched, was about the thought process of the writers when they put Jon and Hoshi together. There's a part of me (that I firmly try to ignore because once the episode was out of their hands and into mine it doesn't matter their intent, only how I perceive it :lol: ) that wonders if they said, "Come on, this is an MU episode, we have to REALLY shock people...oh, how about putting Jon and Hoshi together! No one will see something like that coming!" Meaning that the intentions of the writers all through the series would not have included ANY subtext whatsoever of a Jon/Hoshi romance. :(

That is a sad thought!
Brandyjane
Lt. Commander

Postby Artisticmom2 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:54 am

Brandyjane wrote:
creek_chub wrote: Another thing I wondered as I watched, was about the thought process of the writers when they put Jon and Hoshi together. There's a part of me (that I firmly try to ignore because once the episode was out of their hands and into mine it doesn't matter their intent, only how I perceive it :lol: ) that wonders if they said, "Come on, this is an MU episode, we have to REALLY shock people...oh, how about putting Jon and Hoshi together! No one will see something like that coming!" Meaning that the intentions of the writers all through the series would not have included ANY subtext whatsoever of a Jon/Hoshi romance. :(

That is a sad thought!

A sad thought indeed! BUT... there is a great video on You Tube that someone did of clips of Jon and Hoshi from the show and you COULD make an argument (and I do on a regular basis :D ) that there is potential there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMWUJHHFKk0
I think, perhaps, the writers didn't go there because of being scared at the age difference. It seems that age, outside of Jane Austin's Emma, is only brought up in media to mock a May/Dec romance. Now Jon and Hoshi are hardly May/Dec, more like May/Aug, but in RL I have observed people seem to be uncomfortable with romances including a wide age difference. Quite frankly, the writers always seem to go for the standard bombshell/hot guy romance with a stab at some less conventional but still accepted romances... Chakotay/7 of 9 is the bombshell I am thinking of with Neelix/Kes or B'Lanna/Paris being the slightly less conventional.
OF COURSE, there is the whole frat thing...! Thank goodness for the MU! :D
Artisticmom2
Captain

Postby Misplaced » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:31 pm

I tend to agree about them not going there in the RU because of the age difference.

However, I will admit that I definitely saw chemistry between them in "Broken Bow" (and I know this will come as a shock since TnT are my OTP, but I hated the decon scene in that episode and actually was anti-shipping them because of it)...and then I lost interest in the show about halfway through the first season. It was partly because of having bad reception, the show was on at weird times where I lived...and because I wasn't all that enamored with it, I stopped watching.

But I came back at "Countdown" and I could again see chemistry between Jon and Hoshi in spades. (I didn't start shipping TnT until "Home" then I went back and watched the series from the beginning.) I actually thought they (A/S) had something of a relationship initially because I thought it was so strong.

I'm very glad they went there in the MU. I do think it was definitely shock value, but honestly, I like to believe that they did recognize of all the females on the ship, the one who Jon had the strongest chemistry with was Hoshi.

/two cents
Misplaced

Postby creek_chub » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:31 pm

The age difference is the biggest reason behind my thought that the writers would think viewers didn't see it coming and thus would be shocked. However, I'm not uncomfortable with large age differences and thus am open to seeing subtext between RU Hoshi and Jon (even if the writers never intended there to be any...that's the beauty of using certain literary theories to analyze a text. :lol: ) As I've mentioned before, I saw the MU episodes before ever seeing Broken Bow. My reaction to the MU episodes was "yeah, that's hot" but my reaction to their conversation in Brazil in Broken Bow was "wait a sec, there's something here, they know each other TOO well..."
creek_chub
Lieutenant

Postby Artisticmom2 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:42 pm

creek_chub wrote: but my reaction to their conversation in Brazil in Broken Bow was "wait a sec, there's something here, they know each other TOO well..."

I thought that too and while I've never investigated this, it wouldn't surprise me if Mr. Bakula and Ms. Park played up their backstory relationship.
I know from reading an interview with Frakes and Sirtis from TNG that they played up their relationship by adding significant looks or casual touches, even though it was never written into the scripts, because they themselves thought that it added to the story.
Artisticmom2
Captain

Postby Brandyjane » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:01 pm

Yep, I agree! There was definitely something between them in "Broken Bow." I think they toyed with it in the first couple of episodes and then dropped it for whatever reason. I can see a case for subtext in the last two seasons.
Brandyjane
Lt. Commander

Postby Artisticmom2 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:43 pm

As no one has been playing here recently I thought we could all have some fun by watching this!
An AU look at Hoshi and Jon on Youtube
Enjoy!
Artisticmom2
Captain

Previous

Return to Archer and Sato (Het)