the delphic expanse

Archer and Sato

By popular demand, discuss the captain and his communications officer here. MU? RU? It's all good.

Re: Archer and Sato

Postby Artisticmom2 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:12 am

creek_chub wrote:I've seen fanfiction where A/S have some kind of romantic involvement during their mission and other pieces where A/S explore their feelings for each other after their mission. Some authors even seem to pen both types of stories. So my question is, what's your absolute, definitive head-canon regarding A/S? Do they form a relationship on Enterprise? Afterwards? Never? Is your answer influenced in any way by the bios shown on IAMD? What about influence from TATV?

Honestly, I can't pin down my personal canon for A/S. Every time I come up with a scenario I think "But, ooh. WAIT.. What if it happened THIS WAY..." and my brain runs off in another direction. While it would be easier if I did have a canon, it would be bad for the writing... I have a dozen stories sitting on my thumb drive waiting to be finished all exploring different ways for A/S to happen and play out.

To answer your other question about MU though... I have never really been influenced by that. I thought it was a great plot bunny but it never pushed my buttons except for giving me a great visual.

And :hugs to Honeybee for the plug!
Captain Archer: Do you know how to tell him to shut up?
Ensign Hoshi Sato: SHUT UP!
Artisticmom2
Captain

Postby Honeybee » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:29 am

It seems like people write pre-series and post series, since their relationship got very professional for most of the series. I totally agree that in Broken Bow she's a bit flirty and there's sexual chemistry there. Obviously, fans weren't the only ones who noticed and then we got the MU. Given how well that turned out, it wouldn't have surprised me if they had played with Archer/Sato in later seasons, had we had them.

I'm fully supportive of people writing non Canon A/U stuff about them during the series. I just haven't seen much of it.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby creek_chub » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:41 pm

Brandyjane wrote:Based on their behavior in the first two episodes, I've always thought that they had interacted on a friendly, personal level before the events in "Broken Bow." When they're in Brazil, Hoshi does not behave toward him as I would expect a junior officer to behave toward her future captain. She's a little too easy with him, almost flirty.

This. I actually saw IAMD several months ago when I was first getting into the series. My reaction to the A/S interaction was mostly, "Hmm, that's hot" and then I didn't think much of it. When I saw Broken Bow, however, I was "Whoa, what!" I'm positive there's a history there, even if it's just friendship. To me that whole interaction felt like he was trying first to play the Official Business card. However, the fact that he has the recording with him shows me that he knows her well enough to know that she would balk at this and then the only way to get her to agree would be to tempt her with a new language to learn. I mean, he basically gets her to play right into his hands...you have to know someone on a personal level to be able to do that.

Then in "Fight or Flight," when she asks him for permission to change her quarters, I thought her behavior was a little odd. It's almost as if she's expecting something more from him. In fact, Jon even asks her if there's anything else, and she awkwardly says no and leaves. My impression has always been that she expected more than a perfunctory "yes" to her request and was a little surprised that he seemed to have put some distance between them. Jon was treating her like he would treat any other member of the crew instead of treating her like a friend. (Well, any member who wasn't his BFF Trip.)

Hmm, I may have to watch this scene again. I just remember thinking she seemed nervous about having to make what may seem like a silly request. I don't remember much about the end of the conversation.
creek_chub
Lieutenant

Postby Misplaced » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:07 pm

I think "Requited" & "New Dreams" covers my head-canon. ("Verboten," I felt like I took a little artistic license with, as I'm not sure I see Jon breaking the no-frat rule with her while he's her captain.) But I actually enjoy all kinds of stories, no matter how they hook up or when. LOL

For me, I think I had my "wait--is there something there?" moment during the end of the third season--particularly "Countdown." (Which was when I started watching ENT again, after quitting the show early in the first season.) I was disappointed that nothing seemed to come from it during the fourth season, but fortunately found the TnT ship during "Home" to keep me shippy. :lol: But I guess it's honest to admit that A/S is the first potential ship that I saw on the show.

The mirror universe episodes had no bearing on how I saw the ship. Granted, I did write Jon & Hoshi together in my AU MU story, "Reflections of Another Universe"--a story that I wrote much of before IaMD aired... but honestly (and don't shoot me for this), I did think that there was some missed potential with Malcolm & Hoshi in the MU. I explored that a little bit in "Reflections."

I secretly shipped A/S for a long time, but didn't come out until more recently. As a TnTer that survived the great shipper wars during ENT's original run, there was an unspoken rule that you weren't allowed to like Archer if you shipped Trip/T'Pol -- even if your heart paired him with someone other than T'Pol. I'm SO glad those days are over. I've never been against any ship including A/T (and slash).

Anyway, I'm glad this ship is growing here!
Misplaced

Postby Honeybee » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:21 pm

I mean, I sat the shipper wars out early in the show, and I liked the idea of an Archer-T'Pol-Trip triangle, and what's the fun of a triangle where one person is the obvious villain? Where's the story? The best triangles are when even when you strongly favor one person (like I do with TnT) the other pairing has potential.

And I feel the same about Reed when it comes to Archer/Sato. He could make a good rival for Jon, and as we've seen in certain fics, a little rivalry would certainly make both men potentially step up.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Brandyjane » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:14 pm

Misplaced wrote: But I guess it's honest to admit that A/S is the first potential ship that I saw on the show.

Actually, me too! I remember watching the pilot when it first aired and thinking Archer/Sato might be the big 'ship on the show.

Misplaced wrote:I secretly shipped A/S for a long time, but didn't come out until more recently. As a TnTer that survived the great shipper wars during ENT's original run, there was an unspoken rule that you weren't allowed to like Archer if you shipped Trip/T'Pol -- even if your heart paired him with someone other than T'Pol. I'm SO glad those days are over. I've never been against any ship including A/T (and slash)!

Again, me too! I remember suggesting way back then that Jon and Hoshi might be a cute couple. Everyone jumped on me! The A/T 'shippers hated the mention of Archer with anyone other than T'Pol, and the T/T 'shippers seemed to not want Archer to be happy with anyone, period. I was basically told I was imagining the chemistry between them, so I shut up about that until I discovered some like-minded people here.

Honeybee wrote:I mean, I sat the shipper wars out early in the show, and I liked the idea of an Archer-T'Pol-Trip triangle, and what's the fun of a triangle where one person is the obvious villain? Where's the story? The best triangles are when even when you strongly favor one person (like I do with TnT) the other pairing has potential.

And I feel the same about Reed when it comes to Archer/Sato. He could make a good rival for Jon, and as we've seen in certain fics, a little rivalry would certainly make both men potentially step up.

Yes! I've always thought a good love triangle between Archer, T'Pol, and Trip could be great! Given what we saw on screen, it's definitely not out of the question. But you know, I think I like the idea of a triangle between Reed, Archer, and Sato even more. Reed and Archer have shown their competitive sides to each other more than once, and I do think Hoshi and Malcolm have chemistry, too.
Brandyjane
Lt. Commander

Postby Mistress Euclid » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:52 pm

I've always seen Archer/T'Pol/Tucker (AT&T) as the primary triangle of the show, but I must say that after reading some of the excellent Archer/Sato and Reed/Sato (not to mention Archer/Reed) there is certainly a possibility of a wonderful love triangle there. The tension between Reed and Archer, whether you interpret it as sexual or not, and the different relationships they have with Hoshi - just seems like it could be fodder for a wonderful story.
I have an AT&T avatar and you don't.
(Thanks to Misplaced!)
Mistress Euclid

Postby Artisticmom2 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:09 am

When watching the pilot episode I thought that TPTB would keep A/S together. But when things didn't pan, R/S was an acceptable alternative. Although I never could believe in the A/T. It seemed more plausible to me that Archer would bend the regs, then make love to a Vulcan. TnT belong together too. I just couldn't see A/T working. A triangle with A/R/S would have been nice though. Reed would have given Archer a run for his money.

But frankly, and I am not slamming on Jolene, but in the more recent Treks it seems like any on-screen romance only happens with the woman with the impossibly beautiful body, i.e. T'Pol or Seven of Nine. With the exception of the MU arc, Hoshi IMHO, was treated like a younger sister type and T'Pol was thrown at all the men to see which the viewers liked her with best. It would have been nice to see Hoshi with any of the men (ok, not Phlox - yuk) because she was more identifiable to me (Jolene is just TOO beautiful). Hoshi was more like the average woman.

I always thought that if TPTB stopped investing all their energy into the teen male audience and diverted some of that writing energy into the "female loves romance" category that the Treks might have done better with the ratings. Alas, they did not. Maybe I should go off to Hollywood and get a job writing for a future trek. Then there would be a romance fest!

OK. Off track. Sorry. A/S forever! :cheering
Artisticmom2
Captain

Postby Artisticmom2 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:52 pm

No one's been playing here in a while. Here is something to look at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMWUJHHFKk0

Enjoy!
Artisticmom2
Captain

Postby Misplaced » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Oh awesome! Thank you for sharing. There aren't enough Archer/Sato videos! Perhaps one of these days, I'll have to make one.
Misplaced

PreviousNext

Return to Archer and Sato (Het)