the delphic expanse

Spam

Report Bugs and make suggestions here.

Spam

Postby Dinah » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:33 pm

I don't know if anyone is around here who still cares, but you have a problem with spam in the archives. There's lots of junk in the reviews section.
Dinah
Lieutenant

Re: Spam

Postby EntAllat » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:38 pm

Yes, indeed! I'm still here and Honeybee is also keeping an eye on the archive.

I've got the spam reviews deleted and the spammer removed. However, I'm fairly certain I missed one - if anyone sees a spam review on their fic after today and can't remove it, just PM me and I'll take care of it.

These spam attacks happen rather rapidly. I saw a notice about the new user, but before my commute. By the time I got to my notices again, they'd peppered the reviews with spam. These sort of things often aren't fully automated: there are people who are paid to register into forums and copy/paste the spam type messages - though usually with some vague "this post served my needs, here - buy a printer!" I really don't get what they hope to accomplish with this kind of spam.

Which leads me to ask - are there any volunteers out there to help with the archive? It's so quiet right now that we don't really need anyone, but I know there's several folks with fics-in-progress, and with a 50th anniversary year for Trek, we might see a little more activity. I'd like to have a list of names I could PM if the activity does pick up significantly. If I did take you up on it, you'd have a one week assignment: checking for new fics, then making sure the fic meets our guidelines (and sometimes cleaning up formatting), validating the fic and announcing it on the forum, or then notifying the author of problems.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Cap'n Frances » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:16 am

I'd be happy to help with that.
Cap'n Frances
Lieutenant

Postby EntAllat » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:43 pm

I will keep that in mind and take you up on it, if things start to pick up. Thank you!
EntAllat
Site Admin

Return to Forum Issues