the delphic expanse

Site Fixed! And a big thanks to Entallat!

Report Bugs and make suggestions here.

Re: Site Fixed! And a big thanks to Entallat!

Postby Kotik » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:48 pm

Unfortunately it doesn't display the full error message. If you could give the error number and the text, maybe I can offer some help. I've been working with MySQL servers for over 10 years, so I know a thing or twelve about them.
Kotik
Lieutenant JG

Postby EntAllat » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:28 am

Kotik wrote:Unfortunately it doesn't display the full error message. If you could give the error number and the text, maybe I can offer some help. I've been working with MySQL servers for over 10 years, so I know a thing or twelve about them.

You work at Yahoo? If you do, could you go give the server admin of the mySQL server a kick in the nuts? It'd be appreciated.

Otherwise, thanks. We've got the cleanup well in hand every time their hardware fails.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Kotik » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:43 am

No, I don't work for Yahoo. My current project is the administrators post in the Volkswagen development department. However, I think hardware failures are rather improbable scenario. Such failures are software and/or configuration dependent in 99% of all cases. The server might have insufficient resources assigned to it, so it may run out of connection slots or the filesystem is running full and the server chokes. Other possible reasons are in the archive software itself. Memory leaks or connections not properly closed might strangle it.

A rather probable scenario is, that the currently used MySQL server is simply under-dimensioned. I remember discussions that the forum was slow for certain threads, the size of which should not be the slightest problem for a properly set up MySQL server. Since the archive and forum use independent software packages, the server has to handle two sites at once, which might lead to the server running out of connections or out of diskspace. Of course without the logs this is all just crystalball gazing, but that's what experience has taught me.
Kotik
Lieutenant JG

Postby Aquarius » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:48 am

Either way, it's moot, because the server isn't sitting inside our house where we can lay hands on it to fix it. It's Yahoo's problem, Yahoo needs to fix it. Speculate and troubleshoot to your heart's content, but it won't do us any good because we can't touch the machine.
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Kotik » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:14 am

It's not a question of touching the machine. These days you rarely touch a machine anymore. 99% of all administrative tasks are done remotely. I don't know what sort of contract you have with yahoo, but unless you have a rather expensive support agreement, they won't do much troubleshooting for you. Unless the machine is reachable by network, their part of the agreement is fulfilled. If the servers configuration has to be changed or more resources are needed to keep it running, that information has to come from you. What sort of SLA do you have with yahoo?

EDIT, Feb 7th:

The Forum just barfed up an error message: #1194 Table phpbb_sessions is marked crashed... yadda yadda

MySQL Versions 5.0 and 5.1.20 are know to throw these due to bugs. Did Yahoo change versions lately? Unfortunately the server version was not displayed on the error page :?
Kotik
Lieutenant JG

Postby Glory1863 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:06 pm

OK, so yesterday I was keeping track of the error messages I was getting. There were the usual about table crashes and losing connection, but then I got one that just cracked me up. Seriously, this is a spew alert!

Message was: My SQL Server has gone away [2006].

Where the heck did it go? Did it walk into the boss's office and say, "Take this job and shove it. I ain't working here no more." Did it go out for a long lunch and some afternoon delight? Or did it just step down the hall to use the gents? :laugh
MR_Beautiful avatar by M&M (Mareel and Misplaced)
Glory1863
Captain

Postby tish » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:12 pm

:lol: Use the gents...now that is a phrase I have not heard! :laugh

My hat is off to all of you working on this .... Thank you for all your efforts!
TRIP: Hold on. You never said anything about feet.
T'POL: Is that a problem?
TRIP: Well, for one thing, I haven't had a shower since this morning, and I know how sensitive that Vulcan nose of your can be.And I'm a little ticklish.Maybe more than a little.
tish
Commander

Postby Aquarius » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:48 am

Glory1863 wrote:OK, so yesterday I was keeping track of the error messages I was getting. There were the usual about table crashes and losing connection, but then I got one that just cracked me up. Seriously, this is a spew alert!

Message was: My SQL Server has gone away [2006].

Where the heck did it go? Did it walk into the boss's office and say, "Take this job and shove it. I ain't working here no more." Did it go out for a long lunch and some afternoon delight? Or did it just step down the hall to use the gents? :laugh

:laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:58 pm

Okay, how's this for weird? I came to the board today, and the last three posts to this board are showing up as "new?" :dontknow That's definitely a head-scratcher.
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:16 pm

I'm not sure why it would happen, but I removed this thread from global announcements this morning. It probably happened then.
Honeybee
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Issues