the delphic expanse

Problems where none had existed before

Report archive bugs and make suggestions here. Information about who is on shift for fic posting is also found here.

Problems where none had existed before

Postby Dinah » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:57 pm

All of a sudden I'm having trouble leaving reviews. I also tried to respond to a review from panyasan -- tiny MCE off -- and the response disappeared and wouldn't let me try to respond a second time. I tried sending the review as a PM. I hope it went through.

I also had trouble posting the first chapter of my story, but I just figured it had been so long since I'd done it that I'd forgotten how. I did turn the tiny MCE off and I finally was able to get something through.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :?
Dinah
Lieutenant

Re: Problems where none had existed before

Postby Glory1863 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:42 pm

Dinah, if you keep having a problem, then you might find it easier to type your review, response or whatever in your word processor and do a copy and paste to the archive. I've seen others mention this kind of problem on other boards, and this has been the usual response. You might also want to mention what browser you're using as that seems to have a bearing sometimes.
MR_Beautiful avatar by M&M (Mareel and Misplaced)
Glory1863
Captain

Postby Aquarius » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:00 pm

We'll be replacing the tinymce editor once I get through my finals. Thanks for your patience, everyone. I know it sucks.
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Hummingbird2 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:38 am

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I submitted the first chapter of my drabble collection on Monday, and so far, it still hasn't shown up.
Icon by TwilightProwler.
Hummingbird2
Commander

Postby Aquarius » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:33 am

That's because I'm on shift and it's finals week at school. I had time yesterday but I was just diagnosed with an eye infection, so seeing details was a little iffy. I will get to it as soon as I can. 8-)
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Hummingbird2 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:31 pm

Thank you, Aquarius! I guess I'm a little over eager (or anxious). :oops: I hope you feel better soon.
Icon by TwilightProwler.
Hummingbird2
Commander

Postby panyasan » Tue May 01, 2012 3:23 pm

I wrote a review for Dinah's first story of her story The Briar Patch and she couldn't respond. Now I just wrote a long review for her wonderful second chapter, press "submit" and I got a warning - and the review was gone!
First I thought that something was wrong with the setting of Dinah's story, but when I left a review for Hummingbird2's Snippets, the same happened!

AAAAAARGGGG!!!

Here is the warning: "Rating a story without writing a review is not allowed. You must write a review."

( :wallbash :wallbash Thanks warning. I just wrote a review!)
panyasan
Commander

Postby Glory1863 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:40 pm

I've learned the hard way that if you spend any amount of time writing a post, review, etc., it's a good idea to make a copy to the Windows clipboard before you hit "submit." That way, if the board throws up, you can try again and just paste what you've spent time on. If you just can't get it to work, then paste what you've worked on into notepad or wordpad and save the file. You can try again later.
MR_Beautiful avatar by M&M (Mareel and Misplaced)
Glory1863
Captain

Postby EntAllat » Tue May 01, 2012 5:29 pm

Yep. You know the computer-age adage, "Save Early, Save Often"? That applies to anything on the web too. I've gotten into a habit of copying-and-pasting into a text file on my desktop before I hit that submit button if anything I'm typing into a form - whether it's a personal blog, forum, customer service, or what-have-ye-website box - goes longer than about four sentences. I learned that lesson the hard way many years ago after losing several hours worth of work for an online essay.

That being said, I feel your pain panyasan! I've lost a few long written things that way on other websites. Hopefully the upgrades we'll make this summer will erase the problem and not your reviews.

By-the-way: DE denizens? If you leave a vent here in Jupiter Station about something went wrong, would you do me a favor and also leave a few details about the circumstances? I.e. your operating system (Windows, Mac, and version) your browser and version and, say, the last two steps you did before anything went wrong. (And of course, any error message you get!) Tracking down the source of a computer problem is a bit like mimicking Sherlock Holmes - the more clues there are, the easier it is and the more accurate the diagnosis.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby tish » Wed May 02, 2012 1:10 am

This makes this NON techno savvy poster go. o-O
TRIP: Hold on. You never said anything about feet.
T'POL: Is that a problem?
TRIP: Well, for one thing, I haven't had a shower since this morning, and I know how sensitive that Vulcan nose of your can be.And I'm a little ticklish.Maybe more than a little.
tish
Commander

Next

Return to Archive Issues