the delphic expanse

Memory Alpha Wiki

Post links to other Star Trek websites or communities here.

Memory Alpha Wiki

Postby entkayjay » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:07 pm

Anything and everything you ever wanted to know about Enterprise (and other Trek) but were afraid to ask: Memory Alpha Wiki. (You can also participate and add information.)
entkayjay
Commander

Re: Memory Alpha Wiki

Postby Aquarius » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:06 am

Moving this topic to the Link Exchange, as fans other than writers may also find this link useful.
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Kotik » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:11 am

A word of warning, especially to those from German speaking countries. Over the last 4 weeks, my machine has been attacked twice by the trojan TR/Ransom.DU.13 by visits to memory-alpha, which seems to attack german and autrian domains. I've analyzed the site's programming and they have a huge mess of Javascript running in the background, which is a prime possibility to inject malware. So please visit this site with caution.
Kotik
Lieutenant JG

Postby Glory1863 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:49 am

I have to agree with Kotik. My Norton hasn't had an issue there yet, but for me the site is very slow to load and frequently freezes the computer. Now, that may have to do with the fact that for work reasons I still have to use IE7, but it makes me reluctant to go there anymore which is too bad. It was a great resource.
MR_Beautiful avatar by M&M (Mareel and Misplaced)
Glory1863
Captain

Postby Aquarius » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:55 am

Has anybody reported the problem to them?
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Glory1863 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:05 am

I haven't, Aquarius, because the freezing problem, which is the one that worries me most, is intermittent. Sometimes cleaning everything out of the cache, deleting cookies, etc., seems to help but other times not. I haven't come close to identifying any other possible trigger. I also suspect that they would tell me to change browers. As I said, I can't. The platforms my jobs use are proprietary and don't play well with others, although I've heard I could upgrade to IE8 at one job.
Glory1863
Captain

Postby EntAllat » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:46 am

For clarification, this virus affects only Windows 7 machines and only those in the German subdomain. U.S., U.K., Canada, and other domains are not targeted. Virus security alerts are not out yet for this virus in the U.S. but AntiVir 7.11.14.0 can detect. Update regularly and make sure your firewall is set.

And yes, Javascript-heavy sites can slow some browsers to an absolute crawl.

I use MA a lot without problems, so I'll drop 'em a note and let them know about both issues.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Glory1863 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:12 am

EntAllat wrote:For clarification, this virus affects only Windows 7 machines and only those in the German subdomain. U.S., U.K., Canada, and other domains are not targeted. . .

I use MA a lot without problems, so I'll drop 'em a note and let them know about both issues.

Thanks, EntAllat. Good to know that this particular problem isn't in the US yet and leaves XP alone. Yeah, my job platforms don't run on Windows 7, either (well, supposedly they will on a 32-bit version or if you have an add-on that runs virtual XP). Sorry it's giving Kotik such grief, though.
Glory1863
Captain

Postby EntAllat » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:53 pm

Okay, they've been notified. here's what I got back:

Hi EA,

Thank you for informing us of this malware problem. We take malware reports very seriously. We are currently investigating your report. If you or one of your forum members are still seeing this issue, please don't hesitate to get back in contact with us.

I asked them to let me know if they have any other information later that I can pass along here, so I'll keep y'all informed if I hear anything more.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Cool, EntAllat. 8-) That was nice of you to take care of that. Unfortunately that's the nature of such things--people will often let an issue go unreported, and they can't fix what they don't know about.
Aquarius
Site Admin

Return to The Link Exchange