the delphic expanse

(2x04) Dead Stop: Station of Horrors

Moderator: EntAllat

Re: (2x04) Dead Stop: Station of Horrors

Postby Honeybee » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:50 pm

Just a great final scene. I would say one of the best final moments in all of trek, up there with Picard and his flute (different tone entirely).

Some people crave a sequel or more info on the station, but I like this as is. No more information, keep it mysterious.

However, I am afraid the station will be luring more people to replace its damaged "processors". I wish Enterprise had known it repaired itself and left a warning beacon - but then, it is horror.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Mistress Euclid » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:57 pm

This is such a terrific, well-put together episode.

I adore the mischief Tucker and Reed get themselves into. And, just adore the look T'Pol gives them both.

One great element is the little moments Archer and Reed share in the episode. Their bonding over the mine hasn't been forgotten in this episode.

The station is very creepy, and I think everyone who ever has been stuck in automatic phone hell can relate. It's still relevant after all these years!
I have an AT&T avatar and you don't.
(Thanks to Misplaced!)
Mistress Euclid

Postby entkayjay » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:22 am

I must say, that picture is... well, it certainly makes me think about... well... nevermind.

Hope I can watch it this weekend. XD
entkayjay
Commander

Postby Brandyjane » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:53 am

I always thought the station existed so that whoever built it could get information and technology from other species. I don't think the Borg are responsible for it, but there is something Borg-like about it to me, like maybe the people who created it have similar motivations. If it learned the recipe for pan-fried catfish, think about what else it could have learned about humans, Vulcans, and Denoblians from just that visit. I also got the sense that it's been there for a really, really long time. Maybe at an earlier point it wasn't as advanced as it is, but as time went on and it learned more and more from other species, it became a more efficient station. Heck, maybe, in the beginning, it didn't even use people's brains for processing at all. It could have grown self-aware over time and reconfigured itself for maximum productivity long after its creators were gone.
Brandyjane
Lt. Commander

Postby Honeybee » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:41 am

[quote] It could have grown self-aware over time and reconfigured itself for maximum productivity long after its creators were gone. [/quote0

I always thought that the builders were long dead - either killed by their own creation or just extinct and the station became intelligent and outlived its creators. Harvesting a random humanoid now and again was probably a very efficient way of boosting its processing speed and to an immortal artificial intelligence, probably seemed inconsequential to the station.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby JackYum » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:57 pm

This has always been one of my favorite episodes. At least my all time favorite season 2. There is such a great sense of mystery to the station, and a fun feeling of discovery as you explore the station more and more til the mystery is finally revealed. Loved the variety of different alien bodies that were powering the station too. I wonder could the station be connected to the borg? I read a theory somewhere that said as much.
We received a distress call. Every crewman on board had been anatomically inverted, their bodies splayed open, and they were still alive.
-Soval
JackYum
Ensign

Postby Skywalker » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:23 pm

I prefer that the station not be connected to the Borg at all. Not every bit of advanced artificial intelligence needs to be connected to the Borg.
Skywalker
Lieutenant

Postby JackYum » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:55 pm

I agree. Sometimes Star Trek (mostly in the novels though) seems like too small of a universe. Not everything is related, etc.I think Star Trek is at its best when the crews find something very strange and mysterious and they never find out its origin, letting the viewers imagination fill in the blanks.
We received a distress call. Every crewman on board had been anatomically inverted, their bodies splayed open, and they were still alive.
-Soval
JackYum
Ensign

Postby Honeybee » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:08 pm

As I said early, I prefer the station to be mysterious. We don't know who built it or why or what happened to those people. Our heroes think they have destroyed it, so they likely don't believe they even have to leave a warning beacon.

It's the sense of of mystery that adds to the scary!
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Glory1863 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:14 pm

This episode always reminds me of the pilot for TNG, Encounter at Farpoint, although this station is a lot more frightening than that one. It also has elements of Diane Carey's TNG novel Ghost Ship.

So why do you suppose the station stole Travis when it could have grabbed Tucker and Reed during their little excursion instead of transporting them back to the bridge?

Can you imagine being on the next Starfleet vessel that stops by the station? Oh yeah, these are the people who stiffed us for repairs, hacked into our computer and then trashed the place. Somehow I don't think that "May I take your order? Would you like fries with that?" is going to be the response. :twisted:
MR_Beautiful avatar by M&M (Mareel and Misplaced)
Glory1863
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Rewatch Party