the delphic expanse

Outlander

From Doctor Who to Mad Men, discuss the shows, pimp the fics and have some fun.

Re: Outlander

Postby Honeybee » Mon May 05, 2014 8:55 pm

Oh, my god, the trailer has arrived:

http://www.avclub.com/article/heres-tra ... g-s-204171
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby crystalswolf » Mon May 05, 2014 10:17 pm

Interesting. I've seen articles about it but had no idea what it was about. Might actually give it a whirl. And Ronald Moore so...yeah.
crystalswolf

Postby Honeybee » Mon May 05, 2014 10:34 pm

The books are romance novels but with a lot of gender reversals. They are very schmaltzy but written by a PHD in Biology so they don't insult the intelligence of the reader. Plus Time Travel! I don't think many Starz shows have been great, but I'll give this one a go.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:48 pm

Well, I watched the first episode and I couldn't be more pleased by the casting, the way it's shot and it's tone. It's really beautifully done so far. I have read several reviews about how it starts slow, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. They really have only part of the first episode to establish how much Claire loves Frank, and they do that in spades. So much that I've seen non book readers declare that they won't be able to accept her with someone else now. This means, of course, that Ron Moore has done his job.

Well, I'm in. I can't wait for next week.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Episode II moved a bit faster. It's still almost totally from Claire's POV and we're seeing how clever she is, though she makes a few mistakes. And there are copious shots of Jamie shirtless.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:20 pm

Episode 3! The show still moves a little slow, but the dialogue got a little snappy and the hard core feminism really surfaces to great effect. Claire figures out a boy who is thought to be possessed by the devil is really poisoned and her saving him really pisses off the misogynist village priest. Also, Jaime is hot and charming.

The evil priest is played by Tim McInnery....famous for being Captain Darling on Blackadder.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:50 pm

I want to see this week's episode but haven't yet. It's the one where Claire and Jaimie get married and it's supposed to be really good.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:38 pm

Yes. I will endorse the wedding episode. One of the most romantic and sexy episodes of tv ever.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Artisticmom2 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:20 pm

I just started reading the books and I have to say that I was engaged from the first page. Is the tv adaptation as good as all that?
Captain Archer: Do you know how to tell him to shut up?
Ensign Hoshi Sato: SHUT UP!
Artisticmom2
Captain

Previous

Return to Other TV and Movies