the delphic expanse

RuPaul's Drag Race

From Doctor Who to Mad Men, discuss the shows, pimp the fics and have some fun.

RuPaul's Drag Race

Postby Honeybee » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:39 pm

So, does anyone watch this? I've seen it on and off, but the show's lot of fun. I got turned on to this season thanks to the buzz on Jinkz Monsoon's masterful Little Edie Beale impersonation during the Snatch Game challenge. Okay, it's complicated.

Here's a rundown:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/snatch-game,92892/
Honeybee
Site Admin

Re: RuPaul's Drag Race

Postby Honeybee » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:23 pm

And here's a gawker post about Jinkx's Little Edie impression. I am very tickled by this because my mother and her four sisters all saw Grey Gardens (the documentary) and started calling their own mother "mother darling" - and when I saw the doc, I didn't know the connection and got so confused!

http://gawker.com/5987006/this-is-the-b ... vier-beale
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:45 pm

Okay, Jinkx was in fact robbed this week during the roast challenge. The winner Coco was okay, but Jinkx' killed and looked gorgeous. Also, Alaska is growing on me.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:47 am

Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Thu May 02, 2013 7:15 pm

And here's some photos from the finale this year. Detox's black and white makeup is amazing:

http://photos.toofab.com/galleries/rupa ... ost_recent
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:16 pm

Okay, I think I'm the only person here that loves this show and watches it, but I'm totally in for the sixth season.

If you're not a fan, it's a really fun reality show that also serves as a parody of reality show. If anyone understands the conceit of developing an outrageous personality based on oneself but separate - it's drag queens.

There's been two episodes this year so far, but with two sets of contestants that will be combined in this week's.

In the first group, I love Ben De Le Creme, who won the first challenge with Golden Girls inspired couture and a sunny campy personality. I also thought April did phenomenal with the challenge of having to make drag couture out of duck dynasty inspired couture.

In the second group, I love the very feminine looking and hot Courtney Act. I also like Bianca De Rio, even though she's an "insult comic" and I usually hate them. When she's not doing that, she's really funny and she's got a leg up because she's a costume maker in RL and being able to sew is really important in the show.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Mistress Euclid » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:22 pm

I watched Season 4 of this show but not later seasons. Go Sharon Needles. She was my favorite and no one else compelled me to watch after that.
I have an AT&T avatar and you don't.
(Thanks to Misplaced!)
Mistress Euclid

Postby Honeybee » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:47 pm

So, this week is the big episode - the Snatch Game. This is a parody of Match Game they do every season where the contestants do celebrity impersonations. It always sinks the more un-talented queens. This year, Bianca is apparently doing Judge Judy and Adore is doing Anna Nicole Smith.

Last Season, Jinx basically won her season with her impersonation of Little Edie Bouvier Beale.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:06 pm

So, the Snatch Game was last night. Two queens were outstanding - BendelaCreme as Maggie Smith as the Dowager Countess won the challenge and a close second was Bianca Del Rio's amazing Judge Judy. Also notable was a terrific impersonation of Anna Nicole Smith by Adore.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:55 pm

Bianca Del Rio, whether she wins or loses, is America's Next Drag Superstar. And I loved her looks this week - both in the black and white ball and the comedy challenge - which was a wild print and a simple silhouette. She has the most talent, is the most interesting person and makes her gorgeous clothes. The only thing that might hold her back is she's not "pretty" and that might turn off fans looking for a sexier queen.

I did a dance of delight when hapless Laganja was eliminated. Awful outfit.

I also love Ben & Adore.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Next

Return to Other TV and Movies