the delphic expanse

Downton Abbey

From Doctor Who to Mad Men, discuss the shows, pimp the fics and have some fun.

Re: Downton Abbey

Postby Glory1863 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:27 pm

tishkajaku wrote:Glory, I believe O'Brien's being so devoted to Lady Cora stems from when she thought Lady Cora was going to let her go, when Thomas overheard a conversation of Lady Cora discussing finding a new lady's maid for Lady Violet and he misunderstood, telling O'Brien SHE was being replaced. That made her furious. This was when Lady Cora had discovered she was pregnant, later discovered to be a son, and everyone was so excited for her and Lord Grantham.

While Lady Cora was taking a bath, she dropped her soap, and asked O'Brien to get it for her. When O'Brien did so, she noticed it had broken in two, and rather than pick up both, she slid one piece near the tub. Of course, Lady Cora slipped, fell, and lost the baby, heir to Downton Abbey. O'Brien has been devoted ever since, very very protective of Lady Cora.

Hope that clears it up for you!

Jeez, where was I when all that happened? :shock: Thanks, Tish!
MR_Beautiful avatar by M&M (Mareel and Misplaced)
Glory1863
Captain

Postby Honeybee » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:43 pm

Well, that does it for season 3.

Mathew and Mary finally got over themselves! It was very sweet. Although, I missed Sybil and Branson. Glad to here they are having a baby and our happy.

I like the Daisy plot. And I ended up feeling sorry for Thomas, even though he locked the poor doggie in a shed.

Bates remains the king of bad luck.

Poor Edith.

Edith and Mary remind me of my mother's two older sisters.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:43 pm

Double post, but seriously - Downton Tabby:

http://jezebel.com/5887004/downton-tabb ... er-of-time
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Kylah618 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:26 am

Hubs was working a night shift tonight, so once I had The Boy in bed I settled down for a marathon and finished season 2.

First let me say that words cannot express the love I have for Violet. She is an awesome ball of snarky old woman, and I wish she were my grandmother. My favorite line:

Richard: "I doubt we'll meet again."
Violet: "Do you promise?"

Thomas grew on me in the end. I still have a bit of trouble completely warming up to him, but I found myself rooting for him. I was glad Robert gave him a second chance.

Thank GOD Mary and Matthew finally got it together.

I cried when Anna made her passionate speech to Bates about facing the situation as man and wife, and I cried when they married. I really hope their situation is resolved in season 3.

While I love Penelope Wilton (who, to me, will always be "Harriet Jones, Prime Minister"), I often want to use duct tape on Isabel's mouth.
Malcolm: The radio! Or is it just the galaxy, giggling at us again?
Trip: It can giggle all it wants. But the galaxy's not gettin' any of our burbon!
Kylah618
Lt. Commander

Postby Honeybee » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:20 am

I think they do very well making both O'brien and Thomas sympathetic despite their scheming. It's a credit to the actors. We know Thomas is bitter because the closet makes him so, and it wouldn't surprise me if the same were true of O'brien. I almost want to see them in a lavender marriage together! They do seem to love each other as friends.

Julian Fellows said he didn't want to drag Mary and Matthew's courtship out for any longer because it would frustrate the audience. He's right. They dragged Sybil and Branson and Mary and Matthew took two seasons to get together. Same with Bates and Anna, who seem to be the victims of fate.

They'll just have to bring in a guy for Jan - I mean Edith, next season. I also want a boyfriend for Thomas! And please, please let's have a real love for Daisy! I also suspect Daisy is going to become a very good cook, perhaps even a famous one.

Next season the Bates plot will need to be resolved. We know Cora's mother is coming to town. Sybil is having a baby. There's room for plenty more story.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Mistress Euclid » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:57 pm

Please! Please! Please get Thomas a boyfriend next season!
I have an AT&T avatar and you don't.
(Thanks to Misplaced!)
Mistress Euclid

Postby Glory1863 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:55 pm

For the Downton Abbey fans and the fan fiction fans (should cover quite a few people here): This is a new advertisement for PBS that has been running on one of my local stations. :bolian
Glory1863
Captain

Postby Glory1863 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:31 pm

I've noticed that in the last week or 2, my main PBS station has started running ads for the next season of Downton Abbey "coming in January."
Glory1863
Captain

Postby BobReed » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:14 pm

We have already seen Season 3 in the UK
BobReed
Lieutenant JG

Postby Kylah618 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:51 pm

BobReed wrote:We have already seen Season 3 in the UK

We won't get it in the US until January 6. :(
Malcolm: The radio! Or is it just the galaxy, giggling at us again?
Trip: It can giggle all it wants. But the galaxy's not gettin' any of our burbon!
Kylah618
Lt. Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Other TV and Movies