the delphic expanse

HBO's Game of Thrones

From Doctor Who to Mad Men, discuss the shows, pimp the fics and have some fun.

HBO's Game of Thrones

Postby THE Rigil Kent » Fri May 20, 2011 4:41 pm

Is anyone else watching this? I'm a major fan of the George R. R. Martin books and have loved the heck out of the show so far...
None of us are virgins; life has screwed us all. -

Sig by Chrisis1033.

THE Rigil Kent
Lt. Commander

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones

Postby Kelly » Sat May 21, 2011 2:54 am

I haven't read the books but from what I've seen of the show I definitely want to read them as the books are always better than the show ofc. I was hooked from the end of the first episode and I love that it leaves you wanting more. The story is fantastic and right up my little alley! It helps having Sean Bean as he is all sorts of awesome!
Kelly
Lieutenant

Postby smirnoffmule » Sat May 21, 2011 9:28 am

I am! Big fan of the books, and re-reading them right now too. Mostly pretty impressed with the show so far, I'm particularly enjoying Littlefinger and Varys, and Peter Dinklage is just Tyrion to the life. Also liking the Hound (who's one of my favourite book characters) but waiting to see more of him.
Speak softly and carry a beagle.
smirnoffmule
Ensign

Postby crystalswolf » Sat May 21, 2011 12:00 pm

Never read the books but a friend did and said she couldn't wait to see the show. As far as the previews were concerned, I had no interest in watching the show, but she has great taste in books and so decided to give it a chance. It helped that I've been a huge fan of Peter Dinklange since Threshold. Hubs and I were hooked by the second episode.

It certainly helped that Jason Momoa is in it... in ALL his glory!

The problem with the first episode was that they tried to make certain elements mysterious when it shouldn't have been. The number one thing that comes to mind is Stark's son, Snow. For the longest time in the first episode, they made fun of him and mentioned over and over that he wasn't a Stark but treated like one of the sons. For someone unfamiliar with the story, just keeping track of the unfamiliar names and kingdoms was hard enough without adding more mystery.
crystalswolf

Postby smirnoffmule » Sat May 21, 2011 1:43 pm

One of my few criticisms of the show is that it is guilty of over-exposition at times. I've found some scenes a bit repetitive too, and they're not being very even-handed about it, either. Some stuff which I think is pretty important they seem to be skating over and other stuff they're reminding us off again and again and again just in case we missed it, even if it's not actually going to become relevant until next series or the one after (assuming they're doing a series a book which seems to be the case right now). But having read the books it's quite difficult for me to judge how much info someone who hasn't would need to keep track of everything, so I might be being unfair.

As for Jon Snow there's not a lot I can really say without getting into spoilers and speculation, so I'll just say I think the mystery of his parentage is something that's worth establishing ;)
Speak softly and carry a beagle.
smirnoffmule
Ensign

Postby crystalswolf » Mon May 23, 2011 12:10 am

As a person watching the show w/o having read the books, the first episode should not have introduced any mysterious backstory because it was difficult enough learning the names and the kingdoms without adding mystery.

Snow was my number one example. By the point in the first ep where they found the dire-wolf pups, I had several questions running in my head. "What's a Stark?" "Is Snow a cousin?" "Why does Stark's wife give him dirty looks if he's a cousin? Did he do something wrong?" "Is Snow his name?" "Why are they making fun of their cousin for not being a Stark?"

Essentially, there are just so many characters introduced in the first episode that I was thankful for the repetition or I would never have been able to follow long enough for the second episode.
crystalswolf

Postby THE Rigil Kent » Fri May 27, 2011 11:00 am

The advantage that my roommates have with this show is that I've read the books, so quite often, the show will introduce a character without identifying him - Theon Greyjoy for the first four eps, I think, and Ser Barristan Selmy, who is the Kingsguard leader, for example - and I'll have to explain who they are. Unfortunately, I sincerely don't know how they could get around this in a way that just doesn't suck.
None of us are virgins; life has screwed us all. -

Sig by Chrisis1033.

THE Rigil Kent
Lt. Commander

Postby Kelly » Tue May 31, 2011 2:51 am

I have to say that as a first time viewer, not having read the books I don't think they repeat themselves as crystalswolf stated it can be hard keeping track of everything but I like where it is going. I like the map of the kingdoms they have for the title sequence, me and my husband were discussing it and going "oh this is where these people are" and "so this is where the king is" and so on and so fourth.
Kelly
Lieutenant

Postby Honeybee » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:47 pm

Late to the party - I'm just catching up on the first season. It's well done. Peter Dinklage is amazing. Anyone else watching?
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby crystalswolf » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:09 am

Well, just in time for the Season 3 premiere this Sunday!

Honeybee, I think Peter Dinklage is doing a magnificent job with the character. Tyrion and Arya are my favorite characters and storylines in the show. I know this is sacrilegious to many fans, but I find the Tyrion of the show far superior than the Tyrion in the book. Book-Tyrion, to me, seemed like a Gary Stu with superficial flaws.
crystalswolf

Next

Return to Other TV and Movies