the delphic expanse

Torchwood

From Doctor Who to Mad Men, discuss the shows, pimp the fics and have some fun.

Re: Torchwood

Postby Mr Smith » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:01 pm

CriMiBird wrote:Torchwood seems to be missing something without Ianto

Agreed.
"Is that really how you see me? The eternal pessimist? The grim reaper? I don't want to die, what makes you think I want to die?"
Mr Smith
Captain

Postby bluetiger » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:22 pm

I am in kind of a unique situation. I had never seen any Torchwood until Miracle Day came to Starz. From common knowledge I knew of Captain Jack's orientation. So I went into it with a clean slate as it were. I am really enjoying it and love the banter between Jack and Gwen. I guess it's easier for me since I have no baggage to deal with.
bluetiger

Postby Honeybee » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:42 am

Since I don't have access to Miracle Day - our discussion in the Neutral Zone has inspired me to rewatch the first seasons!
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby CriMiBird » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:51 pm

bluetiger wrote:I am in kind of a unique situation. I had never seen any Torchwood until Miracle Day came to Starz. From common knowledge I knew of Captain Jack's orientation. So I went into it with a clean slate as it were. I am really enjoying it and love the banter between Jack and Gwen. I guess it's easier for me since I have no baggage to deal with.

Without the earlier characters (Tosh, Owen and Ianto) I think it would be easier to watch Miracle day. But there is a lot of what made the show completely individual gone, especially without Ianto. I still love it, and I'm still watching every episode. But I sob every time they mention Ianto and have to pause.
There's a fine, fine line; between a lover, and a friend
I cannot cope with the adorable that is Jon Archer and Erika Hernandez
CriMiBird
Ensign

Postby Honeybee » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:29 am

The death of Ianto is one of those painful choices that worked really well for the show. Rarely do I enjoy the killing off of a major character (Trip, Not Dead, Mkay?) but in Torchwood it worked because the writing made it work. I miss him, too. But I'm glad the death continues to inform everyone's actions.

For the first time since the beginning, I'm watching the earliest episodes. They're great, but they are very simple compared to Children of Earth because the tapestry of mythology is just starting to be developed.

All of that said, I think I will especially miss Ianto when I finally see Miracle Day.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:40 pm

Double post! But I have been rewatching Season One and enjoying it. I so appreciate the elevated tone of Children of Men, but there's something to be said for the light heart-ed episodic feel of the early episodes.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby paulinem » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Okay. So after watching some very hot videos on youtube, I'm gonna have to start watching this show, that's if it's on Aussie TV!!!

Enterprise S5 Website
The continuing adventures of a show that ended too soon...
paulinem
Captain

Postby Honeybee » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:36 pm

I like this one with season one's kisses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGFH3SY6bLM

Although, I would have put Jack/Ianto's kiss that's #2 at #1.

:makeout
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby crystalswolf » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:36 pm

Thank you, HB for that video. It has never felt so good to be reminded and proven wrong! Motivation to go back and watch the show again as well. Refill the ol' sieve, apparently.
crystalswolf

Postby Honeybee » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:02 pm

I think Mistress Euclid has made me more comfortable with the show. I think back when it first aired, I felt like I had to either ship Jack/Gwen or Jack/Ianto. Now, I realize that I can be into both!

I think Gwen and Jack are soul mates and work spouses, but as someone told me, Jack really can't be what Gwen needs. She needs someone like Rhys, dependable and all hers. The flat. The marriage. The baby. Jack loves her. She loves Jack. But they aren't right for each other as a couple, even though we know Jack has been married to women and had families, it's like Gwen knows him too well. He can't pretend with her.

I think Jack and Ianto are also soul mates. Whatever Ianto was before, Jack was there for him after Lisa and something that transcended their history and whatever Ianto's orientation was before that. I think as Owen said, they may have started out as a part time shag, but it became true love when neither one was looking.

So, I adore both relationships.
Honeybee
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Other TV and Movies