the delphic expanse

Campaign For Star Trek Novels

Rules, tips and tricks, FAQs, introduction threads, and more!

Campaign For Star Trek Novels

Postby EntAllat » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:08 pm

Calling all Star Trek fans!

The Delphic Expanse is encouraging you to make your voice heard in support of the continued publication of Star Trek novels by Simon & Schuster Inc., and for the expansion of the Star Trek: Enterprise line.

While we are excited about the recent publication and conclusion to an exciting arc in the Star Trek: Enterprise relaunch series via The Romulan War: To Brave the Storm by Michael A. Martin, we are also concerned about the recent reduction in the offering of Star Trek novels and particularly concerned by the news that the Enterprise relaunch series was significantly reduced. We are unsure whether any more Star Trek: Enterprise novels, relaunch or otherwise, are forthcoming and are making our voices known. In addition, we are concerned that novels from other established series, such as TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOY may be diminished or eliminated.

We at the Delphic Expanse are a very literate fan base. The novels are a significant part of Enterprise fandom and we eagerly await more. We support the interest by authors for this series and will put our money where our love for Enterprise is.

Join us! Let Simon & Schuster and its imprint, Gallery Books (the one responsible for the Star Trek books), know you want more! Write to:

Carolyn Reidy, President and Chief Executive Officer
Simon & Schuster Inc. 
1230 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020

and

Louise Burke, Executive Vice President, Publisher
Gallery Books
1230 Avenue Of The Americas
New York, NY 10020

Or tweet them at:
http://twitter.com/#!/Gallery_Books
http://twitter.com/#!/simonschusterpr
http://twitter.com/#!/ed_schlesinger (Senior Editor for Gallery Books / Pocket Books)
EntAllat
Site Admin

Re: Campaign For Star Trek: Enterprise Novels

Postby EntAllat » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:52 am

Here is a sample letter to use is you wish to address the entire line of Star Trek novels. Remember, you don't have to use this exact letter, but we do recommend three things in whatever you compose and send:

1) Communicate your enthusiasm for Trek "profic", for the authors and if applicable, for your favorite Trek.
2) Keep it positive, but let them know you've noticed a trend that concerns you, be it lack of a specific type of Trek novel, or a diminishing Trek line or both.
3) Make sure to state that you've bought the products before and will continue to do so.
4) Do NOT pit one Trek against the other. That's not going to help us. If you make it specific to TOS, TNG, VOY, DS9 or ENT, do it via love for that series and not hate for another Trek.

SAMPLE GENERIC LETTER

Dear [name here],

First of all, I’d like to thank you for the latest novel in the Star Trek series. I’m one of many fans of the franchise and eagerly look forward to every new book.

That being said, we loyal readers are aware that the entire line of Star Trek novels was reduced recently. We don’t know the reasons behind this and are concerned that more Star Trek novels might not be forthcoming. I’m writing to express my continued support and enthusiasm for the entire line of Star Trek publications.

As I’m certain you’re aware, Star Trek has had a loyal and continually growing fan base for over 40 years now. With six television series, eleven films, hundreds of games, countless merchandise, and a continued presence in global popular culture, it is quite simply a media phenomenon. Few entertainment franchises, with the exception of possibly Disney, can claim such longevity or breadth.

But Star Trek is also rooted in the literary tradition of science fiction and as such, its fan base is thoughtful, curious and most importantly, well read. While we wait for television and movie magic to bring us more Star Trek tales from a handful of screenwriters, we can enjoy what other creative minds weave for us in the form of novels. In the past, stand-alone Star Trek novels have felt like a continuation of the episodic nature of the television shows and an extension of our favorite series as well as a torchbearer for classic science fiction. They have also introduced us to authors whose other works (often published and sold by your company) we seek out and read.

With the success of the recent “reboot” move, Star Trek is once again on the rise in popular culture – proof of Star Trek’s enduring success. While we readers look forward to published stories set within the recent movie’s new framework, our desire for more stories from the established Star Trek universe hasn’t diminished.

We therefore respectfully request the continuance of the existing Star Trek series of novels, including Star Trek (The Original Series), Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Enterprise. Re-launch, series-based, and Mirror Universe novels, comics, graphic novels, audio books: all would all be enthusiastically sought after. Give us more!

Thank you,
[your name here]

For our fellow Enterprise fans, here is a letter specific to our concerns with the ENT lines of novels.

Dear [name here],

First of all, I’d like to thank you for the latest novel in the Star Trek: Enterprise relaunch series, The Romulan War: To Brave the Storm by Michael A. Martin. I’m one of many fans of the television series and eagerly look forward to every new book.

That being said, we loyal readers are aware that the Star Trek: Enterprise relaunch series was reduced recently. We don’t know the reasons behind this and are concerned that more Star Trek: Enterprise novels might not be forthcoming. I’m writing to express my continued support and enthusiasm for the entire line of Star Trek: Enterprise publications.

As I’m sure you’re aware, Star Trek has had a loyal and continually growing fan base for over 40 years now. With six television series, eleven films, hundreds of games, countless merchandise, and a continued presence in global popular culture, it is quite simply a media phenomenon. Few entertainment franchises, with the exception of possibly Disney, can claim such longevity or breadth.

Why Star Trek: Enterprise specifically? Out of all the television series, it holds the most unusual position. It was the last television series, cancelled after only four seasons due to low ratings. (Putting it in good company, since the original series that started it all was cancelled after only three seasons!) It’s also positioned before the reboot movie, and got a brief nod within the film.

In an ironic replay of what happened with the original series, more and more fans are discovering Star Trek: Enterprise many years after it aired. There is an emerging – and growing – fan base worldwide, as Star Trek: Enterprise is made available to new audiences in Europe, Asia and Australia. Star Trek: Enterprise fans are active and vocal on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. These new fans are taken by surprise when they discover the series was cancelled (many believe prematurely) after only four seasons.

Since the extension of this series is not currently available on screen, all that is left for loyal fans around the world are the Star Trek: Enterprise novels; the relaunch is our fifth season, sustained in print. We are grateful that the then-editor of Pocket Books took a chance with the direction of the novels and gave us back a beloved character, and that an exciting era of Star Trek is currently being explored. Star Trek: Enterprise is the only series where every fellow fan I know is fully aware of what new novel is coming out, when, and is willing to buy it. The novels are a significant part of Star Trek: Enterprise fandom and we eagerly await more.

We therefore respectfully request the continuance and expansion of the Star Trek: Enterprise series of novels. Re-launch, series-based, and Mirror Universe novels, comics, graphic novels, audio books: all would all be enthusiastically sought after. Give us more!

Thank you,
[your name here]
EntAllat
Site Admin

Re: Campaign For Star Trek: Enterprise Novels

Postby EntAllat » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:47 pm

We here at the Delphic Expanse are a social media savvy group. As part of the campaign to save Star Trek (and specifically Star Trek: Enterprise) novels, we're encouraging those that are on Twitter to use the hashtags #startrekenterpise and #startrekprofic, in a variety of ways.

How should you use them? Well, here's some great examples!

Examples of generic "save the novels" campaign tweets. Feel free to copy these and use them as they are! (Thanks goes to @delphicexpanse and @MistressEuclid for these!)

When #startrekenterprise books are GONE is the wrong time to give a damn! Please help save the novels. #startrekprofic

If you care about the future of #startrekenterprise novels, click here to find out what you can do: http://bit.ly/tts1tj #startrekprofic

If you hate how #startrekenterprise ended, please support the novels! http://bit.ly/spOfGR Buy 'em! Tell TPTB you <3 'em! #startrekprofic

Less is not more. Less is less. If you want more #startrekenterprise novels, please take a moment to tell @Pocket_Books. Thank you.

If you love the #startrekenterprise novels, please tell @simonschusterpr to please keep publishing them! #startrekprofic

Please get your friends in #startrekenterprise fandom to help. http://bit.ly/tts1tj #startrekprofic SAVE ENTERPRISE NOVELS!

If you see someone you don't know supporting #startrekenterprise #startrekprofic, give 'em a high-five and a thank you!

Have you tweeted to save #startrekenterprise #startrekprofic today?

But it doesn't have to be generic or directly related to saving the novels. Just make sure to get your love for the novels out there and searchable on a daily basis. Here's some great examples of how others have done that:
@sonria Wishing I had another #startrekenterprise novel to read; I'm getting a little down again and that always cheers me up. #startrekprofic

@ATSisonline: ATS supports the call for more Star Trek: Enterprise novels, Sci-Fi books are good for kids as well as music #startrekenterprise

@korikatra: My #startrekenterprise wishlist: Season 5 and beyond, an ENT movie or three, continuing fanfics & role plays and lots of #startrekprofic

@lousmom313: I picked up the new #startrekenterprise book today! yay! live long the #startrekprofic !

@reliant_robin: @delphicexpanse I want more stuff set pre-Relaunch. So many stories left to tell! #startrekprofic #startrekenterprise

@SharonKusmertz #startrekenterprise #startrekprofic in #Hastings had #TheRomulanWarToBraveTheStorm Whoop! @Gallery_Books we look forward to more!

@EntAllat: The newest #startrekenterprise novel is out! Join the rest of us fans as we remind @Gallery_Books that we want more, not less!

@ladyrainbow Just bought "The Romulan War: To Brave the Storm" by Michael A. Martin! *\O/* #startrekenterprise #startrekprofic

@AquariusNX01 I recommend the "Destiny" trilogy. They are the BEST novels FULL STOP imo. I read them over and over #startrekenterprise

@ SharonKusmertz #startrekenterprise #startrekprofic on my bed table stacked 5 deep #KobayashiMaru next. I want 99 MORE novels w/ our NX01 crew! #TeamArcher!

@ladyrainbow @lousmom313 I finished it last night! Yeah, that ending! XD I actually liked this last book better than Kobayashi Maru. #startrekenterprise

@mspaulinem @Pocket_Books Is it true that after #TheRomulanWarToBraveTheStorm that this will be the last of the #startrekenterprise stories?

@mspaulinem @Pocket_Books If it is, I don’t suppose we can encourage you for more #startrekenterprise stories & more #startrekprofic in general

In general, using the hashtag is helpful, not only in promoting the fact that we actively enjoy Enterprise, but in helping you meet other fans!
@mspaulinem So. I watched #startrekenterprise episode Dessert Crossing without incident! YEEEEEHAAAAAA!!!! Now to get the DVD player working???

@lousmom My recently updated fiction writing journal: http://wordstimes3.livejournal.com #ENT #startrekenterprise #fic

Thank you to all those who've already put so much enthusiasm into the campaign!
EntAllat
Site Admin

Re: Campaign For Star Trek Novels

Postby Aquarius » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:44 pm

NOTE: The name of this thread has been changed to "Campaign for Star Trek Novels," since our focus has shifted to encourage concern over the fate of *all* Trek novels, not just Enterprise.

For more on this as well as other aspects of the campaign, please see our discussion thread in the book forum.
Aquarius
Site Admin

Return to The Delphic Expanse Bureau of Tourism