the delphic expanse

FAQs

Rules, tips and tricks, FAQs, introduction threads, and more!

FAQs

Postby Aquarius » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:21 am

I've been modding at boards for years, and these are the types of things that come up at a community such as this one. This list is hardly exhaustive, and we'll add more stuff as it comes up.

Q: Why are you so strict about enforcing your rules? Aren't you taking this a little too seriously?

A: Nope. This community's success and health and growth are all going to depend on our commitment to diversity, as well everyone's tolerance toward others who may not like the same aspects of the show we do. As long as comments are respectful and conducive to productive discussion, you won't have a problem. The minute things start to sound harsh or judgmental? You've got a problem! The bottom line: we're not here to hate on anything. ANYTHING.

Originally, I only wanted two rules: 1) Don't bug people, and 2) don't be a douche. Honeybee and Mistress Euclid said we should be a little more specific than that. So we made those other ones you saw.

Q: How do I know if I'm trolling? What if I'm just trying to be funny?

A: Again, it's not always what you say, but how you say it. If it's unflattering or mean-spirited, or expressing disgust at something other people came here to to enjoy, it's trolling. If you reasonably say "This 'ship/genre/whatever doesn't work for me because..." and give thoughtful, cogent reasons, it's not trolling.

Q: Why do you warn/sanction people in public?

A: Because chances are, whatever they said/did to motivate the sanction was done in public in the first place. We're not the first admins/mods to do this, and we won't be the last. I mean, it's not like the police are gonna *not* pull you over/write you a ticket/arrest you in front of other people if you break the law, just because you don't like it. Like in everyday life, follow the rules and don't be a dumbass, and you won't have to worry about it.

Q: I don't like a certain 'ship/genre. What should I do?

A: Um...stay out of that section? :dunno I know it sounds crazy but I've seen it work.

Q: I don't think I should have to worry about whether or not how I say things will insult other people, especially if they like something I don't. That's dumb!

A: 'Bye.

Okay. So maybe you've detected a hint of smartassery in my answers. You're probably right. That's because this is stuff I feel like I shouldn't have to explain...but because people flame/troll/judge/don't use common sense/don't accept responsibility for where they are or what they've read, I *do* need to address it. And that's kind of sad for me. We built this place in order to not have to deal with that kind of thing. If you *are* that kind of thing, you shouldn't be here. Period.

Now that that's out of the way, here's what I like to think of as the "FunFAQs"! 8)

Q: Het? Slash? What language are you speaking???

A: Sometimes it depends on who you ask what kind of definition you get, but for our purposes at The Delphic Expanse, this is how we define them:

Het: An abbreviation for "heterosexual." Basically it involves a romantic or sexual relationship between a heterosexual couple in the fandom. Couples can either be canon (meaning established in the show) or not.

Slash: Credited to the original Star Trek series for coining the term, this refers to a romantic or sexual relationship between two same-sex characters. The name "slash" refers to the "/" mark between two characters' names to indicate the pairing (ie, Kirk/Spock). As with het, the label has expanded in some circles to include canon pairings as well as non-canon, and that's how we use the term here.
Aquarius
Site Admin

Return to The Delphic Expanse Bureau of Tourism