the delphic expanse

Star Trek Into Darkness -- SPOILER DISCUSSION

Like other Trek shows? Working on a crossover? Post here.

Star Trek Into Darkness -- SPOILER DISCUSSION

Postby Aquarius » Thu May 16, 2013 12:01 am

BEWARE...HERE THERE BE SPOILERS! And that's all the warning you get.

So...I've seen the film tonight. I am dying to talk about it. If you are, too, post here!
Aquarius
Site Admin

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness -- SPOILER DISCUSSION

Postby Lady C » Thu May 16, 2013 7:49 pm

I saw it on Sunday. I'm up for discussion. :bolian

I missed it myself but I heard they had the NX-01 on Admiral Marcus's desk. Did anybody else catch it? Yay for Enterprise references :cheering
Lady C
Lieutenant JG

Postby Aquarius » Thu May 16, 2013 9:41 pm

I did not catch that, but I am seeing it again on Saturday with my mom so I will look.

I knew that Marcus was behind the whole thing the minute I saw the character was played by the same guy who played Paxton.

Does anybody besides me really wish they'd left the Khan thing alone?
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby EntAllat » Fri May 17, 2013 11:10 am

Aquarius wrote:Does anybody besides me really wish they'd left the Khan thing alone?

Me!! But only because Khan's in a fic of my own that I haven't finished yet. I'm trying to get over the idea that completing that fic is silly now that this movie has come out. :-(

Speaking of, I haven't seen the movie yet - which is a little weird for me since I'm usually in there on the day of or day after opening - but I don't mind spoilers in the least. Nice to hear that there was an ENT reference in some way!
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Fri May 17, 2013 5:25 pm

This is great. Star Trek virgins see the film and of course Spock is their favorite character:

http://slate.me/109S2pp
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby tarheelladync » Sat May 18, 2013 8:34 pm

Aquarius wrote:
Does anybody besides me really wish they'd left the Khan thing alone?

That is the first thing my son said, "can't they write some original material" I raised both my boys watching Trek so they are very familiar with all the story lines.

Not to get into Abrams head, but since they are still the same characters the general timeline would intersect with all the previously known people in their lives, with just different outcomes.

It would be nice to see some new material though. If fanfic writers can come up with new and unique stories, can't the professional ones do the same. :?

This is also the first time I have watched a movie in 3D, it was interesting. Although with the 3D glasses on top of my regular glasses it was a little uncomfortable and may have caused some of the fuzziness in some of the scenes.
If man can dream it, man can do it. To the stars people!!!
tarheelladync
Lieutenant JG

Postby Aquarius » Sat May 18, 2013 10:56 pm

I don't think it's a matter of they "can't" come up with new stories. I think it was a matter of taking the franchise's arguably most popular villain and turning the (again, arguably) most popular film in the franchise and turning it on its ear in order to try to guarantee themselves some Big!Cash!Dollars! at the box office. If you knew it was Khan, you'd go see the film just to see what he was going to do. If you didn't know it was Khan, you'd go just to find out if it was him or not. Either way, he had you, despite the fact that it was a move that would potentially alienate some fans when they saw it.
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Lady C » Sun May 19, 2013 12:01 am

I think using Khan is a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation to some degree. If they hadn't used him, there would probably be roughly the same percentage of people saying "they should've just used Khan" as there are saying they shouldn't have this time around.

If they are just using riffs on the most popular/well known TOS stories, does this mean the next movie is going to have either the ST IV or City on the Edge of Forever plot?
Lady C
Lieutenant JG

Postby tarheelladync » Sun May 19, 2013 12:07 pm

Now maybe that they have "Khan" episode out of the way, they can move into new adventures. They tackled it early on, when the crew was young, unlike ST II, so now we can go on that 5 year mission. Although I understand that the younger generation likes the 'big screen' action, one of the reasons that Star Trek resonates for me is the social messages. In the future, although humans will be humans, there is a mission to be more than a just above savage race of beings. Some issues I don't think they'll ever write into the scripts, but one can hope.
If man can dream it, man can do it. To the stars people!!!
tarheelladync
Lieutenant JG

Postby Glory1863 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:13 pm

I'm looking for a particular type of spoiler.

Honestly, the only interest I have in this movie is in seeing Benedict Cumberbatch. Khan, not-Khan, just a big tribble with legs, a mouth and an attitude - I don't care. From the time I first saw him in Amazing Grace, I decided I'd pretty much watch just about anything he was in. Yeah, and then there was Sherlock. So can anyone tell me if he is on screen long enough to make a 3-hour time commitment and $10 worth it or should I just wait for it to be on free TV? And before you laugh about the $10, it matters. I'll be paying off that little gallbladder surgery I had in December until some time in 2015.
MR_Beautiful avatar by M&M (Mareel and Misplaced)
Glory1863
Captain

Next

Return to Other Trek