the delphic expanse

Introducing the Kids to Trek

Like other Trek shows? Working on a crossover? Post here.

Introducing the Kids to Trek

Postby Lady C » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:37 pm

So I was thinking it was time to introduce the kids to Trek and was looking for recommendations for which eps would be good to start them out on.

They are 4 & 6 - they already love Doctor Who & Star Wars

Any series is fine (I finally have them all on DVD).

Any suggestions would be appreciated :D
Lady C
Lieutenant JG

Re: Introducing the Kids to Trek

Postby HopefulNebula » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:22 pm

Trufax: when I was a toddler my dad sat me down in front of the TV and said "here, you'll like this." It was the very first ep of TNG.

...of course, I'm completely blanking on individual episodes now, but I'll be back.
HopefulNebula
Lt. Commander

Postby Kathy Rose » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:24 am

I introduced my son when he was small to the world of Trek with the original series episode, "The Trouble with Tribbles."
Old enough to know better, but that's never stopped me before.
Kathy Rose
Captain

Postby Glory1863 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:37 am

If you have the animated series, then I'd go with that. It was designed to be a Saturday morning Trek cartoon more suitable to younger viewers than the primetime show (let's just say Kirk doesn't get the same kind of "action"). It has the major characters (plus a few more because it's easier/cheaper to do that with animation) and the "lessons" you'd expect from Trek. Otherwise, I'd go with Kathy Rose's suggestion of "The Trouble with Tribbles." Maybe "A Piece of the Action" from TOS. At least it's funny. I always thought the living/sentient rock (Horta) from TOS was interesting, but I don't remember enough of "Devil in the Dark" to recommend it for little kids. I feel that a lot of my favorite episodes in any of the series simply wouldn't be appropriate for kids so young, either in terms of material beyond their understanding ("The City on the Edge of Forever") or material they don't need to be exposed to yet (the MU or most of DS9).
MR_Beautiful avatar by M&M (Mareel and Misplaced)
Glory1863
Captain

Postby Lady C » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:23 pm

^Don't have the animated series unfortunately :( Ironically, they've actually seen a little bit of DS9 because one of our digital channels is showing it on Sundays at midday in a three hour block so we occasionally come across it - but yeah I don't think it's the best Star Trek to start them out on.

"Trouble with Tribbles" sounds like a good suggestion though, thanks Kathy Rose.

I thought about "Encounter At Farpoint" HopefulNebula, but then I thought it might be a little too talky to hold their interest - but I might reconsider.

Thanks for the suggestions :)
Lady C
Lieutenant JG

Postby HopefulNebula » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:34 pm

Yeah, that wasn't so much a suggestion as it was an anecdote. I don't even remember this; I've just been told the story enough that it feels like I do. I do think TNG is probably the best series to start 'em off on, though.
HopefulNebula
Lt. Commander

Postby jespah » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:10 am

Lady C wrote:^Don't have the animated series unfortunately :( Ironically, they've actually seen a little bit of DS9 because one of our digital channels is showing it on Sundays at midday in a three hour block so we occasionally come across it - but yeah I don't think it's the best Star Trek to start them out on.

"Trouble with Tribbles" sounds like a good suggestion though, thanks Kathy Rose.

I thought about "Encounter At Farpoint" HopefulNebula, but then I thought it might be a little too talky to hold their interest - but I might reconsider.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

There's possibly "Shore Leave" (TOS). There is a lancing but it's bloodless - or you could skip over that. But the idea of it being a lot of weirdness and then the connection to a white rabbit might be familiar.
jespah
Commander

Postby Lillith » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:23 am

The thread hasn't been updated in a good long while, but I started my 5 year old neice on the ENT episode 'The Andorian Incident.' This same child watches swedish vampire flicks and Buffy with me, so I wasn't too worried with the plot related violence in the ep.
Lillith
Lieutenant

Postby Frakme » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:52 am

I started off on classic Trek when I was small as my Dad was a fan. My 2.5 yo has been watching Enterprise with me, she LOVES the theme tune and sings along to it!
I also watched old Hammer House movies when I was small thanks to my mum!
What I wouldn't give to have an Episode of Enterprise where Trip somehow manages to loses his uniform and gets covered in Nutella.

Aeryn: And you say you want to go back to that place of pain and suffering!
John: Well you guys don't have chocolate!
Frakme
Commander

Postby Artisticmom2 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:21 am

Mine have grown up on it - they would toddle through the room and catch a bit here and there but I wouldn't let them watch full episodes until I had watched it and made sure it was appropriate for their eyes. As they grew older we picked a series and watched the whole thing as Family TV Night when we had the opportunity. We've made it through all the Enterprise episodes and now are working on Voyager. We've made them watch the TOS episode "Trouble With Tribbles" and the pilot episode because they're so classic but the lack of good CG turned them off. This past Halloween I scored a TNG costume at the local thrift store and wore it all day that day when out on errands with them. It was rather amusing that I had to borrow a pair of Vulcan ears from one of them to make the costume complete! ;)
Captain Archer: Do you know how to tell him to shut up?
Ensign Hoshi Sato: SHUT UP!
Artisticmom2
Captain

Return to Other Trek