the delphic expanse

The Reboot

Like other Trek shows? Working on a crossover? Post here.

The Reboot

Postby Honeybee » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:41 pm

Misplaced mentioned something about liking Spock/Uhura in another thread - and I realized we didn't have a reboot thread!

I liked a whole lot about the reboot, including Spock/Uhura. Zach Quinto is an amazing actor and I really bought his not-quite suppressed attraction to Uhura.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Re: The Reboot

Postby crystalswolf » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:33 pm

I'd never really thought about those two being together and after watching the reboot, it seemed like it should have always been so. I remember watching the scene in the Transporter room when they were saying good bye and kissing and Kirk (and I think it was Scotty) turned away, I felt like I should have turned away too because it was such an intimate moment.

Although, I do love the audio book with what I think were deleted scenes. One that I absolutely loved was the one that described why Amanda was telling Spock not to worry.
crystalswolf

Postby THE Rigil Kent » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:22 pm

I was one of those people virulently opposed to the reboot simply because I didn't (and actually still don't) think a reboot was actually necessary. That said, for the most part, I did enjoy the movie, although I personally do have some serious issues with it. The Spock/Uhura thing didn't work for me and I thought the abrupt promotion of Kirk to full captain kind of silly - he hasn't even finished the Academy, and they jump him from cadet to O-6 just because of the movie's events? Man, if I was in Starfleet and that happened, I'd be freaking out and throwing a fit, regardless of whether he just saved Earth. Wasn't happy they obliterated Vulcan either, mostly 'cause I'm a Vulcanphile (is that the right word?)

For me, the two standouts were Zachary Quinto and Karl Urban, both of whom totally rocked.

But, silly plot holes (and there were a lot) aside, I didn't totally hate it.
None of us are virgins; life has screwed us all. -

Sig by Chrisis1033.

THE Rigil Kent
Lt. Commander

Postby Kathy Rose » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:34 pm

I liked it more than I thought I would. I'm a pretty strong adherent of canon (at least in the broadcast series; fanfic's something else entirely), and so when it came out that the movie was going to be in an alternate setting/AU/whatever, I thought, "Well, that's a pretty obvious way to rewrite it the way they want." I was pretty sure I wouldn't like it. But I did like it.

Now, if the reboot had come out without the intervening series, TNG, etc., having been created, I no doubt would have been very upset. And definitely having been exposed to fan fiction and all the AU's and MU's that have been created has made me more open to the possibilities.

I did like Karl Urban, although I had kind of the same reaction as Rigil to the character of Kirk. They let him be in charge? There was no one else on the entire ship who was qualified to take command?
Old enough to know better, but that's never stopped me before.
Kathy Rose
Captain

Postby crystalswolf » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:52 pm

I think everyone was a bit nervous about the reboot before it came out. Although I will admit that I was a near lunatic because Spock was one of two of my sacred characters. You know, the character that you do not want to see one hair changed on his head because someone thought it would look cool. When they announced Zachery Quinto as Spock, I was ready to protest... until shots came out of him in costume. He fully won me over in the movie.
crystalswolf

Postby Brandyjane » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:23 am

I enjoyed it quite a bit, though there were certainly quite a few things that bugged me. The part that I had the most trouble with was Kirk ending up on the same planet as Old Spock. Really, what are the odds of that? That's when I have to start telling myself, "Willing suspension of disbelief! Willing suspension of disbelief! It's just a movie. Enjoy it!"

I thought Quinto made a really great Spock! Before I saw the movie, though, I had just watched the first season of Heroes and I kept thinking, "Sylar is Spock?" Spock and Uhura were fine together, but I really wished the romance had been between Spock and Nurse Chapel.

I remember when it first came out how all of the Ent fans were pointing out that after the reboot Enterprise was the only series that still "happened." :lol:
Brandyjane
Lt. Commander

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:55 am

I'm one of those oddballs that hated the reboot movie. I'm not going to beat a dead horse about it, but for those interested in my views can read them here.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

My Enterprise Site

Kevin Thomas Riley
Lieutenant JG

Postby EntAllat » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:16 am

Yup, I liked it too. Honestly, there's never been a Star Trek I didn't like. There's been some that I've cringed through, like "Spock's Brain" but I'm a sucker for anything Trek.

The idea that it was AU made it easier to like the reboot. The rest of Trek is still alive and well in some other universe and time-line, yadda, yadda, yadda. (And as a ENT fan I always thought that an official AU would give the "Trip is not dead" argument a little more oomph (without having to rely on what the relaunch books did to solve that) since TNG wouldn't have happened the same way. That's my rationalization and I'm stickin' to it. But I digress.) I'd heard about the AU angle prior to seeing the movie so I was open to the new storyline - with the exception of the destruction of Vulcan. I wasn't expecting that and when they did it I just thought, nooooooooooooooo! IMO, that took a lot of guts to do that to this incarnation of Trek.

Like I said, I liked it, for the most part. I rolled my eyes with some of the same things folks have mentioned here about Kirk's promotion and I was a little bit confused about the Red Matter stuff. Turns out there was a comic book out before the movie that the Older Spock story draws from but since I hadn't read that beforehand, Older Spock's story seemed a little crammed in there in order to move things along - and just a touch hokey. But Kirk was classic Kirk to me, and Bones was awesome, Uhura just as sexy and exotic as she was in the classic show.

Total segway: I'd seen Quinto at a Star Trek convention just before the movie. He was on stage by himself and then on stage with Nimoy and I have to admit, Quinto himself probably did more to encourage me to like the movie than anything else. He's an awesome guest at a convention, very relaxed in front of that crowd, connects with everyone well and really came across and both Spock and Sylar brilliantly. He's fantastic with fans too. One woman went up to ask a question and admitted that she was terrified because he was such a brilliantly evil and scary character as Sylar. He jumped off the stage, gave her a hug, and then went back up there to take her question. :lol: One guy walked up and asked if he'd say something to his girlfriend who was on the phone, and Quinto did, saying something about "Just hanging with 3,000 of his peeps." The guy was "I'm so getting laid tonight..." when he hung up.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Misplaced » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:34 am

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOWhxUEdoS0[/bbvideo]
Misplaced

Postby mareel » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:45 am

I really didn't expect to like it, but I did. I'm not a big fan of TOS, particularly with respect to Kirk (though I always liked Spock). So I didn't have high expectations for the character of Kirk in the reboot either. I did love Zachary Quinto's Spock; the care he took with the role and the respect he had for the character were so evident. And I really liked the Spock/Uhura. That may well have been a missed opportunity in TOS.

The first slash I ever read was a bit of Kirk/Spock back in the long-ago usenet days. And I bought into it as a relationship in the early movies (II-IV). One thing I found interesting about the reboot movie is that I caught no inkling of K/S between young Kirk and young Spock, but the moment SpockPrime appeared in a scene with Kirk, that vibe was there from Nimoy's Spock remembering 'his' Jim Kirk.

One thing that tended to throw me out of belief in the new crew was the extreme youth of some of the characters. There is young – and there was Chekov. And Kirk being made Captain at his age and level of experience just didn't seem believeable.
mareel
Lt. Commander

Next

Return to Other Trek