the delphic expanse

Writing

The place to chat about whatever. Come and get to know your fellow fans.

Writing

Postby Dinah » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:33 pm

Is anybody else having trouble getting back into writing? It's like I forgot how to do it. I look at the empty page and nothing comes. :wallbash I try putting a couple of sentences down and it sounds like it was written by the person who starts out every story with, "It was a dark and stormy night." :yuk I've got 2 stories that I need to finish. Does anyone know it they give shots to stimulate creativity? :dontknow
Dinah
Lieutenant

Re: Writing

Postby panyasan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:12 am

Hi Dinah,

Maybe you could try just to start writing, writing stuff down even when it's not perfect. And then start to rewrite the whole thing.

Also you could start to write drabbles and post them here? Or you could PM me your beginnings or post them here?

I also could encourage you by saying I would love some new stories by your hand.
panyasan
Commander

Re: Writing

Postby EntAllat » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:21 pm

Dinah wrote:Is anybody else having trouble getting back into writing? It's like I forgot how to do it. I look at the empty page and nothing comes. :wallbash I try putting a couple of sentences down and it sounds like it was written by the person who starts out every story with, "It was a dark and stormy night." :yuk I've got 2 stories that I need to finish. Does anyone know it they give shots to stimulate creativity? :dontknow

Dinah, I DO know this feeling. I had ideas in my head but I stared at the blankly and when I did start writing, it felt fumbling.

What worked for me recently was doing a little switching between reading and writing. I read a new novel, then a week later I scribbled some thoughts about current events (but didn't publish them anywhere). Did that again the following week. And agin. Each time, the writing, which wasn't even fiction, got easier. And then, a few weeks in, I tried my hand a a paragraph in an unfinished fic, and it came much more easily.

You might try reading a short story, a small fic, a chapter of a novel, etc. and as soon as you put the book down, write an ENT drabble. It might help warm up your mental muscles like it did for me.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Return to Social Space