the delphic expanse

Cool Science

The place to chat about whatever. Come and get to know your fellow fans.

Re: Cool Science

Postby Glory1863 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:10 pm

Honeybee wrote:I do hope to make the drive to Gettysburg sometime this year. I've got a great, great, great, great Uncle whose on the memorial somewhere, on the Union Side fighting with a New Hampshire regiment.

Way cool, Honeybee. If you get to go, have the name of your relative, the name/number of the regiment he was in or whatever you know about the part of the battle he was in. The Park Service has used GIS extensively at the National Battlefield Parks to help people easily find monuments of interest. I've not been to Gettysburg, but I did a paper for a GIS class I took on how GIS was used at the Chicamauga/Chattanooga National Battlefield which is probably one of the largest outdoor sculpture gardens in the world due to all the monuments. Although it might be expensive, it could be worthwhile to hire a licensed battlefield guide for a tour. They have to sit an incredibly difficult exam to get that license and there is only a limited number of them, but they could get you right to the part of the battlefield that is of particular interest to you and probably tell you more than you would ever want to know about it. :D There's another job I would have loved if I had known about it years ago. I'm kind of out of luck being stuck here in Illinois, although there were large POW camps at Camp Douglas in Chicago (around 31st and King Drive) and at Rock Island (at the Arsenal).
MR_Beautiful avatar by M&M (Mareel and Misplaced)
Glory1863
Captain

Postby HopefulNebula » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:02 pm

HopefulNebula
Lt. Commander

Postby EntAllat » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:52 am

Heard about the Pitch Drop Experiment a few weeks ago, when Trinity College's version (started in October of 1944) successfully filmed a drop on July 11th, 2013.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby EntAllat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:51 am

This is both cool and a bit of a csw since it'll mean heightened allergies, headaches and itchy eyes once it gets here: African dust storm.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Glory1863 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:47 pm

What's New in Outer Space with astrophysicist Chris Lintott from the Adler Planetarium (and the Royal Observatory in Greenwich) on Chicago Tonight.

And here is the 12 Months in 2 Minutes video and the collection of night sky pictures that were mentioned. Definitely check out the night sky pictures! They would have made fantastic matte backgrounds for Star Trek: Enterprise. :omg
MR_Beautiful avatar by M&M (Mareel and Misplaced)
Glory1863
Captain

Postby HopefulNebula » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:39 am

Ladies and gentlemen:

An eclipse on Mars. (That's Phobos. The eclipse itself lasts less than 30 seconds.)
HopefulNebula
Lt. Commander

Postby EntAllat » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:39 pm

Those photo are gorgeous. And the eclipse on Mars - that's just way cool.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:00 pm

Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:32 pm

Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:42 pm

King tut apparently died in a chariot accident - this doesn't surprise me since it was a theory that was floated at the touring King Tut exhibit a few years ago - still pretty cool:

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smartne ... -Weekender
Honeybee
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Social Space