the delphic expanse

Need help. Chat session workshop?

Here's general open information about the writing workshops we offer here. You can announce your intention to workshop a fic or open a for everyone's eyes discussion. Fics are workshopped in the private workshop forum. You can also look for a beta reader and discuss betaing issues here.

Need help. Chat session workshop?

Postby EntAllat » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:36 pm

A long while back I helped Aquarius out with a class assignment, doing a fic "workshop" via chat, for one of my then in-progress fics. It worked out really well and it came to mind recently.

At the moment I'm struggling with the Big Middle Part of two fics that are vying for room in my brain. I'm wondering if anyone here might be willing to (a) help me brainstorm/talk through the messy parts of the two plot outlines and (b) be willing to be spoiled in the process of helping out. Doing this in a chat room comes to mind - and the more the merrier! (If you wanna make a party out of it and live watch an episode too, I'm up for that.)

The first fic is an Enterprise one: TNT, romance, there's a twist, season three, it will be R, but none of the R-stuff has been written yet. :) Chapter One is done. I've got the ending worked out, but I'm struggling to put the middle in order. I know what I want to happen, and bits and pieces of how, but… argh! I've ended up researching some script writing tips and techniques that might help me work out some of the problems in order get the outline to a point where it works and the words flow, but having someone to talk it through would be great.

The second is a Sherlock fic: mystery (duh), action, suspense, G. Probably pre-Johnlock or at least heavy with that subtext. The middle here is much less of a mess. In fact, the structure's coming along pretty nicely, but there's a couple of spots in this outline where I'm scratching my head. I've identified one problem already that might change how I approach it but, again, it'd be great to hash this out with others.

Again, prepare to be spoiled if you want to help out. And, if we can't manage to schedule a live chat room connection, I'm happy to do this via e-mail or the workshop topics in this forum if more than one person is interested in participating.

What say ye?
EntAllat
Site Admin

Re: Need help. Chat session workshop?

Postby Cap'n Frances » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:42 pm

Sounds very interesting. I'd be happy to help with the ENT story. I've never seen Sherlock so I probably wouldn't be much help with that one.
Cap'n Frances
Lieutenant

Postby Frakme » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:24 am

EntAllat, I'm fairly new to Sherlock but have seen it all and written some. So would be happy to help out with that one.
What I wouldn't give to have an Episode of Enterprise where Trip somehow manages to loses his uniform and gets covered in Nutella.

Aeryn: And you say you want to go back to that place of pain and suffering!
John: Well you guys don't have chocolate!
Frakme
Commander

Postby Lillith » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:36 am

I would be more than willing to help out with both, EntAllat. I know a fair bit about Sherlock and am just starting the second in a series of Sherlock fics.
Lillith
Lieutenant

Postby EntAllat » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:36 pm

Awesome!

Cap'n Frances, we can start with the ENT fic and do the Sherlock one second - you can decide if you want to stick around and help with that or not at that point. I don't think it matters if you're familiar with the show or not, since it's really the movement of the plot and when to bring in certain elements that I'm struggling with. I.e. this would be a problem/solvable even if the story was entirely OC characters in my own original setting.

Can everyone connect to this TinyChat chatroom: http://tinychat.com/entallat? You do NOT need to authenticate with Facebook or Twitter or whatever it says. Just type in a nickname and go. If that doesn't work, I'll find something else. If that does work for everyone, I'll confirm a date and time.

How does this Saturday afternoon sound? 1pm Central Standard Time? What time zones are y'all in?

NOTE: Edited to change the proposed time after I looked a world time zone convertor.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Cap'n Frances » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:58 pm

The time should be fine for me. I'm in the Eastern time zone. I forgot to try out TinyChat last night on my Mac, but I think it should be fine.
Cap'n Frances
Lieutenant

Postby EntAllat » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:30 pm

Okay, we'll give it a try tomorrow (Saturday) at 1 pm CST (2 pm EST). I think that's 7 pm BST.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby EntAllat » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:39 pm

Oh, and if y'all have trouble with it (just ignore all of Tinychat's efforts to connect you to Facebook and sign in via "Guest" and your nickname) post here and I'll try to help you get connected. Our other option would be Google chat if Tinychat doesn't work out for everyone.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Lillith » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:17 pm

Yikes! Sorry I missed it EntAllat! I'm sick at the moment so I wasn't even away, got a really nasty cold/flu thingy. PM me if you still need help.
Lillith
Lieutenant

Postby EntAllat » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:21 pm

Hey, no problem Lilith! Cap'n Frances helped out with the TnT fic, but I could still use a chance to talk out the issues with the Sherlock fic. No worries - we can wait until you're feeling a little better, and then maybe Frakme can join us too.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Next

Return to Writing Workshop Information and Beta Area