the delphic expanse

This ain't your momma's beta reader!

Here's general open information about the writing workshops we offer here. You can announce your intention to workshop a fic or open a for everyone's eyes discussion. Fics are workshopped in the private workshop forum. You can also look for a beta reader and discuss betaing issues here.

Re: This ain't your momma's beta reader!

Postby Aquarius » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:24 pm

That's fine. Friday it is!
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby EntAllat » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:39 pm

Great! Thanks!
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby paulinem » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:27 pm

Aquarius, did you want me to send you the story that we'll be looking at, or do you want me to hold off?

Enterprise S5 Website
The continuing adventures of a show that ended too soon...
paulinem
Captain

Postby Aquarius » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:43 pm

Hold off. If people send me betas too far in advance before I'm ready to look at, invariably they start noodling around with it, send me another copy,then noodle around,etc. I'd rather just have the one I know we're going to work with a couple of hours before we actually do it.

Thanks.
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby paulinem » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:53 pm

Cool! The only problem I may have is printing it off. I do have a printer, but I don't have the start up disc (well, I'm not sure where they are). I'll see if my nephew can help out there.

Enterprise S5 Website
paulinem
Captain

Postby Brandyjane » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:28 am

What a great idea, Aquarius! I think it's great that your writing center is so supportive of this.
Brandyjane
Lt. Commander

Postby paulinem » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:13 pm

Can I just say, that if anyone has the opportunity to participate in this, do it! It was an excellent experience to be able to go through my story with Aquarius and get that immediate feedback, to bounce around ideas, and to see/fix problems. I found this invaluable!

Awesome! Thank you, Aquarius! :D

Enterprise S5 Website
paulinem
Captain

Postby EntAllat » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:57 pm

Quick question for you: For this kind of online workshop, would you prefer to help with an almost-finished piece, I.e. something that's in the usual shape for a beta before posting to the archive? Or can it be something more raw?

If it's the latter, I've got three things I could choose from. A) One is a seven chapter piece: one chapter is done, one is almost done/needs work, three are in the outline stage and two are just ideas. B) Another story has a half-written intro and an outline, but I've having trouble with the inner struggle of one of the characters - and it's key to whole story! I haven't written anything more on it because of that. C) Then there's a larger story where I have a completed chapter, the beginning and end mapped out, and a mushy middle where I need to figure out how to get from point A to point B without getting too distracted from the main point of the whole story and still allow for the B-stories that I want to happen.

If that seems too complicated, I do have a piece we could work on that nearer to done.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:04 pm

It doesn't matter. In the writing center, we help any writer, on any piece of writing, in any stage of the process. When I went in for my incognito visit, I hadn't written anything yet, I went in with "I'm not sure what to do." I've also observed sessions where the paper just needed polish, and everything in between.

You can also make multiple appointments with me. I do have five hours to fill. ;)
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby EntAllat » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:32 am

Aquarius wrote:It doesn't matter. In the writing center, we help any writer, on any piece of writing, in any stage of the process. When I went in for my incognito visit, I hadn't written anything yet, I went in with "I'm not sure what to do." I've also observed sessions where the paper just needed polish, and everything in between.

You can also make multiple appointments with me. I do have five hours to fill. ;)

Oh, awesome. I may sign up for another one then. :)
EntAllat
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Workshop Information and Beta Area