the delphic expanse

Action scenes workshop?

Here's general open information about the writing workshops we offer here. You can announce your intention to workshop a fic or open a for everyone's eyes discussion. Fics are workshopped in the private workshop forum. You can also look for a beta reader and discuss betaing issues here.

Re: Action scenes workshop?

Postby Aquarius » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:00 pm

I'm not sure I explained the workshops right...

The first way--the general workshops--help one person at a time. A group of volunteers does the critiquing. Check out Honeybee's sign-up threads, etc. The workshops themselves are done in a hidden forum so those participating can avoid the nervousness of prying eyes of those not participating.

The smut workshop and the art workshop--the person conducting the workshop (in the smut case, me) posts the lesson, and whoever is participating writes something based on the lesson. It can be as few as one person or as many as ten. Then, the authors post their responses in the thread, and we critique as a group. Each person gets a critique. This will likewise occur in a hidden forum.

Make sense?
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby THE Rigil Kent » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:09 pm

Aquarius wrote:The smut workshop and the art workshop--the person conducting the workshop (in the smut case, me) posts the lesson, and whoever is participating writes something based on the lesson. It can be as few as one person or as many as ten. Then, the authors post their responses in the thread, and we critique as a group. Each person gets a critique. This will likewise occur in a hidden forum.

Make sense?

Yep! This is what I was thinking ... so I get to assign homework! Bwah ha ha ha ha!
None of us are virgins; life has screwed us all. -

Sig by Chrisis1033.

THE Rigil Kent
Lt. Commander

Postby Misplaced » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:13 pm

Speaking of the art workshop, I need to get my rear back on that train. :lol: (I'm the "teacher")

Yes, Rigil, you are a respected writer. Absolutely.

I'd preferr assignments myself, since I'm not actively writing any action scenes at the moment. I'm definitely in!
Misplaced

Postby paulinem » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:58 pm

I, too, would like to join in. I've done two action pieces for S5, of which I received feedback that it wasn't half bad for the first one. The second one I haven't finished yet, but I'm hoping to emulate what I did before. So anything that grows me as a writer is a good thing.

Enterprise S5 Website
The continuing adventures of a show that ended too soon...
paulinem
Captain

Postby entkayjay » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:21 pm

I'd be interested. For some reason, most of my action scenes come out pretty good, but... they take me FOR-EVER. It's like watching a movie in my head and describing it movement by movement and crossing my fingers that it works.

Hate it.
entkayjay
Commander

Postby EntAllat » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:13 pm

I would participate in anything related to this! (Either workshop-with-homework or a workshop-to-critique.) I feel fairly comfortable writing suspenseful and well-paced action scenes but I know I've got two problem areas: the actual physics of space-battle type scenes and hand-to-hand combat-related action.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby THE Rigil Kent » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:07 pm

When do we generally schedule these puppies for? I know with the 1st coming up, a lot of us will be busy, and then there's Aquarius' smut workshop (hmmm ... that crosses over into this, yes? I mean ... sex is an action scene, right? :twisted: ) so...
None of us are virgins; life has screwed us all. -

Sig by Chrisis1033.

THE Rigil Kent
Lt. Commander

Postby Cap'n Frances » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:33 pm

Did this ever get going? I'm struggling with some action scenes I'm working on. I'd love to participate if something like this becomes available.
Cap'n Frances
Lieutenant

Postby EntAllat » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:53 am

Unfortunately, it never did. Now that you've brought it up, I wonder if we could find someone interested in conducting it.

In the meantime, consider having the problematic section "workshopped". I've done it before and found the process very useful. I know I feel a lot more confident about action scenes and would be happy to be a participant, and several other people might be able to give you some pointers that'd help you wrestle it into shape.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Cap'n Frances » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:08 pm

Thanks. The scenes I'm having trouble with currently look more like holes in the outline than actual scenes. Once I get further along, having one or more of them "workshopped" sounds like a great idea.

I did go to a workshop at the local writer's center last Saturday on structuring action/adventure novels. That didn't solve my problems, but it did make realize two things. I need to develop a clearer idea of what my villains are like. Also Malcolm should play a larger role in the story than I originally planned.
Cap'n Frances
Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Writing Workshop Information and Beta Area