the delphic expanse

Action scenes workshop?

Here's general open information about the writing workshops we offer here. You can announce your intention to workshop a fic or open a for everyone's eyes discussion. Fics are workshopped in the private workshop forum. You can also look for a beta reader and discuss betaing issues here.

Action scenes workshop?

Postby THE Rigil Kent » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:24 am

Has anyone toyed with the idea of doing something like this? For the most part, I'm generally satisfied with the action scenes in my fics, but I often see people saying they can't write them or just won't write them, so ... here I am.
None of us are virgins; life has screwed us all. -

Sig by Chrisis1033.

THE Rigil Kent
Lt. Commander

Re: Action scenes workshop?

Postby panyasan » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:41 am

I tried to write a battle scene in one of my fic'sand it turned out okay. There is still lot's of room for improvement. I have to confess before writing that scene I studied two action scenes of your hand Rigil, so if you wanted to give a work shop "How to write action scenes" I will be the first one to sign up.
panyasan
Commander

Postby Aquarius » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:05 am

If you conduct it, I'm in.
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Misplaced » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:09 am

I'm interested! Especially considering that my original work contains a LOT of action (way more than my fanfic), it would behoove me to be good at writing it. :lol:
Misplaced

Postby ladyrainbow » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:11 am

Me...I tend to have battle scenes in some of my fics (space battles or hand to hand).
ladyrainbow
Commander

Postby Destinye » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:17 am

I'd be interested. I usually fail at action scenes. I go over-the-top or don't describe enough, xD
{You're good at fixing things, I'm good at blowing them up}; Lieutenant Reed
Destinye
Commander

Postby THE Rigil Kent » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:29 am

Gak! Am I gonna regret posting? :lol:

FYI, I have no idea whatsoever how to conduct a workshop like this so advice would be appreciated in that regard.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

THE Rigil Kent
Lt. Commander

Postby Aquarius » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:37 am

There are a few different ways you can do this. And you can take your time putting it together; we're starting the smut workshop in a few days, so waiting a little bit may help the people who want to do both.

The way the general workshop has worked, is that somebody submits a sample of their piece, then volunteers go over it with a fine-toothed comb, sussing out the strengths and weaknesses, and suggesting areas for improvement.

The smut workshop will be more like the art workshop in that there are structured lessons, and then the author writes something based on those lessons--and then we all critique it as above. I'm working out of a book that helped me a lot, specifically devoted to the craft of writing good, realistic love scenes. If there is a resource that you found beneficial in helping you to become the respected action-writer you are today, you might look to that and see about forming some lessons based on the advice you followed from it...maybe even post some articles or other resources you might have found helpful along the way.
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby THE Rigil Kent » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:50 am

Aquarius wrote:The way the general workshop has worked, is that somebody submits a sample of their piece, then volunteers go over it with a fine-toothed comb, sussing out the strengths and weaknesses, and suggesting areas for improvement.

I see. So basically I (and whoever participates) would be acting like teachers? Hmmm...
The smut workshop will be more like the art workshop in that there are structured lessons, and then the author writes something based on those lessons--and then we all critique it as above.

The author being ... me? Or whoever we're critiquing? Hmm. Seems to only really help one person ... unless there are multiple critiques going on at once.
If there is a resource that you found beneficial in helping you to become the respected action-writer you are today, you might look to that and see about forming some lessons based on the advice you followed from it...maybe even post some articles or other resources you might have found helpful along the way.

First ... I'm respected? :shock: :lol:

Second, in my case, I'm just a prolific reader and have picked up tricks and tactics from novels I've read. Mayhap I should assign homework? :lol: There is no resource that I've actively read for the purpose of improving action scenes, although I can probably point participants toward novels or authors that I think are especially good examples. For example:
  • Anything by Michael Stackpole. His early BattleTech books are really good in this regard and I'm always amused when I think of how he wrote those.
  • Dan Abnett, especially his Eisenhorn omnibus, which is set in the Warhammer 40K verse and is an awesome example of how to do good action from a 1st person perspective.
  • Etc.
  • [/list]Does the community have a preference to how we approach this? Do we want to pick one person and critique, or should we treat it like a school assignment with me (shudder) as the teacher (double shudder. I'm sure, somewhere, every single one of my English teachers from high school & middle school who told me not to write the way I did, especially the ones who always dinged me for "sentence fragments," are shivering as a cold chill crawls up their spines. :lol: )

Sig by Chrisis1033.

THE Rigil Kent
Lt. Commander

Postby ladyrainbow » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:57 am

Definitely second the recommendation to read anything by Michael Stackpole. Also anything by David Weber (Honor Harrington series).

There would be multiple critiques, Rigil. In the Writing Workshop, everyone gets a chance to critique, then the author can respond when all the critiques are submitted.
ladyrainbow
Commander

Next

Return to Writing Workshop Information and Beta Area