the delphic expanse

Anyone interested in a smut workshop?

Here's general open information about the writing workshops we offer here. You can announce your intention to workshop a fic or open a for everyone's eyes discussion. Fics are workshopped in the private workshop forum. You can also look for a beta reader and discuss betaing issues here.

Anyone interested in a smut workshop?

Postby Aquarius » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:47 pm

I wouldn't be able to start this until after the first of the year, but I'm putting it out there now to gauge interest.

Some people may have a desire to write sex scenes but are apprehensive. Others may already write them but be open to new approaches.

I discovered this book, The Joy of Writing Sex while taking a fanfic writing workshop at the Media West Con in Lansing some years back. The person who gives the workshop teaches everything from comp to screenwriting at a college in New Jersey, and this was the book the "sex ed" part of the class came from.

Now, it won't be necessary for you to purchase the book; I own it and can post the exercises here. If you are interested in buying the book, though, I do highly recommend it, because while the information inside is oriented toward helping you write about intimate moments between characters, all of it is applicable to good writing in general.

The workshop will be private--only those who sign up to participate will be allowed in to the forum set aside for it, so nobody will have to feel naked and scrutinized in front of everyone. Most of the exercises will involve three phases: a brainstorming phase, and then a writing phase based on that brainstorming. After that, we'll give each other feedback on the results of the exercise.

If you're up for it, sign up here.

If you have questions, ask them here.
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby entkayjay » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:29 pm

In before the crowds of smut-writers!
entkayjay
Commander

Postby paulinem » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:33 pm

Hell, yeah! I'm in...

Enterprise S5 Website
The continuing adventures of a show that ended too soon...
paulinem
Captain

Postby Honeybee » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:42 am

I'd be on board! :)
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby ladyrainbow » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:05 am

Me!

I still can't write a sex scene without blushing to my hairline! :oops: :shock:
ladyrainbow
Commander

Postby Aquarius » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:49 pm

Well damn. *That* was fast! Sex sells and all that, right? LOL

I will say this: expect to be taken out of your comfort zones, even if you are an experienced purveyor of the smut. At least one of the many exercises will have you writing about a type of sex you wouldn't normally write. One of the points is to turn an "I can't" into an "I can take an educated guess and fool most of my readers into thinking this is easy."
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby paulinem » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:09 pm

I'm still looking forward to it! :D

Enterprise S5 Website
The continuing adventures of a show that ended too soon...
paulinem
Captain

Postby crystalswolf » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:23 pm

Okay, that got me. I've already tried the "out of my comfort zone" part so now I'm curious to know how much more I can push the envelop. I'm in.
crystalswolf

Postby ladyrainbow » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:27 pm

Hm. "Fake it till you make it", huh? :twisted: Okay, this'll definitely be a new experience for me then.
ladyrainbow
Commander

Postby Aquarius » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:19 pm

Okay, do me a favor--

If you've signed up for the workshop, go look at "main engineering" and let me know if you can see the forum for it, and if you can, post to the test thread.

Thank you.
Aquarius
Site Admin

Next

Return to Writing Workshop Information and Beta Area