the delphic expanse

Do you want your fic workshopped?

Here's general open information about the writing workshops we offer here. You can announce your intention to workshop a fic or open a for everyone's eyes discussion. Fics are workshopped in the private workshop forum. You can also look for a beta reader and discuss betaing issues here.

Re: Do you want your fic workshopped?

Postby Archerite » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:00 am

If you're still doing workshops, I'd be very interested in having my first ENT fic taken for a spin by a team of experienced writers. The story has already been beta read by asearcher, and her suggestions have been invaluable to me. I was going to submit it for the DE archives, but then I discovered this forum and thought that it would be a useful learning experience for me to have it workshopped first.

I'll tell you a little about it so you can decide if you want to do this or not. I've rated the story at NC-17, because there is an intimate moment at the core of it, but I've kept things on the decent side (or, at least, I tried to :D). It's 5068 words and belongs in the Archer/T'Pol Het category. As a short summary, it takes place a few days after the events of "A Night in Sickbay" and deals with Captain Archer's futile attempt to cope with his newly acknowledged attraction for T'Pol. He is feeling guilty about it and decides the only way to alleviate his unpleasant feelings is to actually confess to T'Pol. So, he pays her a late night visit to her quarters. She listens to him and, to his surprise, offers a logical solution to his problem: give him what he wants and call it a night. :P No strings attached, just as a way of releasing the tension.

As I've said, this is the first fan fic I've ever written and the first time I'm actually reaching out to fellow creative souls. It would be very helpful for me to get multiple reviews from people who know this stuff so much better. I'm still a little unsure of myself when it comes to writing. What I'm doing right, what I'm doing wrong... Still need a little help with that. And I really want to improve.

So, if anyone wants to lend a hand, I would appreciate it greatly. Just for the record, English is not my native language, so any input on language use is also important to me.

Thank you for reading!
Quantum Stills - Screen captures from Captain Archer's leaping days
Archerite
Lieutenant

Postby lfvoy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:59 pm

*raises hand* I'm in. And respectful of your courage!
Bridge looks a lot different from here. Think anyone would mind if I fired a torpedo? -Travis Mayweather, "Cold Front"
lfvoy
Commander

Postby Archerite » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:57 am

Thank so much, Ifvoy! Is it just my impression that this board isn't as active as it used to be, though? Doesn't look like anyone else is interested.
Archerite
Lieutenant

Postby Aquarius » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:24 am

We go through busy times and slow times, just like any other board. Keep in mind, we're barely over a year old, so a lot of that initial buzz of activity was us putting things into place around here so people would have stuff to do when they come. 8-) It looks like you're getting quite a few volunteers for your workshop in the sign-up thread, though, which is great!
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Archerite » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:35 am

It was actually my fault, Aquarius. I didn't follow the proper procedure on workshop solicitation. I should have PMed Honeybee with my request from the beginning, instead of posting it in this thread and expecting people to see it. You're right, every board has its own ebb and flow dynamic, so one should not be discouraged by occasional quiet times. Besides, now that I have actually gone through the proper channels, the problem has been resolved and I am very grateful that so many people have volunteered. I can't wait to start. :D
Archerite
Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Writing Workshop Information and Beta Area