the delphic expanse

List of Available Betas

Here's general open information about the writing workshops we offer here. You can announce your intention to workshop a fic or open a for everyone's eyes discussion. Fics are workshopped in the private workshop forum. You can also look for a beta reader and discuss betaing issues here.

Re: List of Available Betas

Postby EntAllat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 pm

Just leaving a note here to confirm that I am indeed available as a beta again.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby EntAllat » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:54 pm

I thought I'd post here again and make this thread visible to remind folks that they can ask me directly if they'd like a beta. The crazy part of my Spring/Summer is over and I'm once again available - at least I know I am for the rest of June, July and August so far.

Name: EntAllat
Pairings I Write: I like to write "general fic" (humor, action, mystery, sci-fi) which isn't necessarily pairing-oriented. When I include one or write a pairing-based story it tends to be canon-based TnT.
Will I beta smut: Sure.
Will I beta outside my pairing: Absolutely, no problem. Het or slash, it's fine.
Strong suits: I'm especially good at helping those for whom English is a second language and helping folks with basic problems in storytelling, especially pacing and flow, character voice. For more polished writers, I'm good at critiquing aspects of cultural behavior and motivations as well as spotting continuity problems.
Weak spots: Comma use. Don't expect much help from me there. :-/ Also, I'm not spectacularly good at spotting holes or problems in the hard science part of the science-fiction. Finally, my schedule can also change on a dime with no notice, so I try to get a beta back within a day or two, otherwise you might end up waiting a while.
Send files in what form: Any file format is fine; I've got a Mission Control-like computer setup at my desk. :-)
Contact me via: PM is okay, but Email is best! Entallat@gmail.com
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby asearcher » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:49 am

Name: asearcher
Pairings I Write: Primarily general and friendship pieces. If I have to choose ships I choose A/T'P, R/S. I have written some A/Hernandez, and AG/Hernandez although it's not been posted most places.
Will I beta smut: Some Het smut, not sure I'd be good at slash smut
Will I beta outside my pairing: Yes. I respect all pairings. When a synopsis is presented, I'll determine if I'm comfortable with doing a beta. Note the smut statement.
Strong suits: Basic grammar and spelling. Good at reading for character continuity (although good with AUs and OOC with reasons) and plot holes. Will do crossover stories that I know the other side. Have been a ST fan since the beginning so have a pretty history of the universe. Have been a sci-fi fan and have a science background since childhood so can follow rather intricate plotting and suspended disbelief for certain tech/science plots.
Weak suits: I will miss things.
Send files in what form: word 97-2003 preferred
Contact me via: a_searcher1@hotmail.com or PM
H'Len

I'm a BLONDE Vulcan...I'm MOSTLY logical.
asearcher
Lt. Commander

Postby EntAllat » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:45 pm

I'm posting here again to let folks know that I'm going to be unavailable as a beta reader for new stuff (i.e. I'm doing the stuff for the people I've already committed to) through October and November. I'll take on new stuff again December 1st!

The reason is I'm trying to get a bunch of unfinished stuff (both fanfic and some RL writing) out the door before NaNoWriMo.

Edited 11/15/11: Hey, I'm making myself available as a beta again, a little early! Feel free to PM or email me (entallat@gmail.com) if you need a beta.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Kylah618 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:11 pm

Now that I have some experience with betas and have beta'd a story, I feel comfortable offering myself as a beta. :D

Name: Kylah
Pairings I Write: I have written one Archer/Tucker. I'm not opposed to others, just haven't gotten there.
Will I beta smut: Yep.
Will I beta outside my pairing: Absolutely. My philosophy is this: Just because it's not my cup of tea doesn't mean I won't take a sip and enjoy it.
Strong suits: I have a fairly fast turnaround. As long as work isn't crazy, I can usually have it back in a day or two. I also enjoy kicking ideas around. So if you're stuck or having trouble getting through a scene, I'd enjoy helping.
Weak suits: I occasionally miss grammatical errors. Nothing major, but it happens.
Send files in what form: Anything. My computer is a beast.
Contact me via: PM or at amlewis2@gmail.com
Malcolm: The radio! Or is it just the galaxy, giggling at us again?
Trip: It can giggle all it wants. But the galaxy's not gettin' any of our burbon!
Kylah618
Lt. Commander

Postby lfvoy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:47 pm

Now that I'm getting a little more comfortable with the process, I'll go ahead and sign up as a beta.

Name: LFVoy

Pairings I Write: I've been dabbling all over, but it seems that I'll mostly land on TnT and Archer/Sato. A lot of my work is gen and friendship-oriented, and I'm pretty canon-friendly.

Will I beta smut: Hard R is fine, but I'd prefer to skip the NC-17.

Will I beta outside my pairing: Yes. Can crossover with any Trek except the 2009 movie, and I have read the relaunch novels.

Strong suits: Grammar, spelling, punctuation/mechanics, vocabulary/word usage. I also have a strong sense of characters' voices, and I'm native to the Southern American dialect.

Weak suits: Plot and pacing. I can generally come up with something but it might not be the best.

Send files in what form: Anything that will convert to Word 2007.

Contact me via: PM or email lfvoy@lfvoy.net.
Bridge looks a lot different from here. Think anyone would mind if I fired a torpedo? -Travis Mayweather, "Cold Front"
lfvoy
Commander

Postby EntAllat » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:13 am

Reviving this thread, so that folks can see it and new members can post themselves if they'd like to make themselves available as a beta. See above for my beta stats and contact info!
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Lillith » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:06 am

Reviving the thread. I'm considering offering myself as a Beta in the future, but haven't decided yet.
Lillith
Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Writing Workshop Information and Beta Area