the delphic expanse

Scrivener

A tool kit of links and book suggestions for fanfic authors who want to hone their craft.

Scrivener

Postby Cap'n Frances » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:46 pm

I watched some videos from an online writing conference yesterday. One was a demo/tutorial of Scrivener. It's a software program for writing complex documents like novels. It includes word processing, outlining, and a browser. I thought the cork board view looked especially helpful. (Every time I try to do a story board with real index cards, my cat knocks them off the table.)

It's not very expensive and has a 30 day free trial. I downloaded it yesterday and am working my way through the tutorial. The problem is that it has so many feature and so much flexibility that it has a steep learning curve. Has anyone else tried it?
Cap'n Frances
Lieutenant

Re: Scrivener

Postby EntAllat » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:01 am

Cap'n Frances wrote:I watched some videos from an online writing conference yesterday. One was a demo/tutorial of Scrivener. It's a software program for writing complex documents like novels. It includes word processing, outlining, and a browser. I thought the cork board view looked especially helpful. (Every time I try to do a story board with real index cards, my cat knocks them off the table.)

It's not very expensive and has a 30 day free trial. I downloaded it yesterday and am working my way through the tutorial. The problem is that it has so many feature and so much flexibility that it has a steep learning curve. Has anyone else tried it?

I have, although only for script writing so far. I'm really, really liking how quick it makes complex script formatting. If I'm not mistaken, Honeybee has used it as well, and Mr. Smith may have.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Cap'n Frances » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:59 pm

I decided to go ahead and by it. I've been using it as I'm revising my current WIP. It's my first multi-chapter story and using Scrivener is really helping me keep track of everything. I bought a $9.99 Kindle book called Scrivener Superpowers, which has been very helpful. I decided I don't need any of the expensive video tutorials, at least not for now. Maybe if I become a professional writer it will be worthwhile to spend more money on tips to help me write faster, but for now, I think I'm doing fine with what I have.
Cap'n Frances
Lieutenant

Postby EntAllat » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:32 pm

Cap'n Frances wrote:I decided to go ahead and by it. I've been using it as I'm revising my current WIP. It's my first multi-chapter story and using Scrivener is really helping me keep track of everything. I bought a $9.99 Kindle book called Scrivener Superpowers, which has been very helpful. I decided I don't need any of the expensive video tutorials, at least not for now. Maybe if I become a professional writer it will be worthwhile to spend more money on tips to help me write faster, but for now, I think I'm doing fine with what I have.

How are you liking it so far?

After years of not using mine, I'm finding I'm using it everyday for formatting these scripts. I'm thinking about trying to use it for my original novel because of the storyboarding aspect - have you used that at all? Up until now I've been using Evernote for keeping track of my notes, snippets, character sketches and articles related to the themes of the novel.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Return to Resources for Writers