the delphic expanse

It's About Time (literally)

A tool kit of links and book suggestions for fanfic authors who want to hone their craft.

It's About Time (literally)

Postby Aquarius » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:06 pm

One of my Tweeps put this link up to a blog post about tips for making time to write. It's About Time...
Aquarius
Site Admin

Re: It's About Time (literally)

Postby JiNX-01 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:45 pm

Thank you so much for this, Aquarius!

I copied the entire essay and pasted it into a doc which is now sitting on my desktop where I can be reminded every time I turn on my computer how important it is to get cracking!! And I'm not just talking about fan fiction, either. :mrgreen:
JiNX-01
Lieutenant

Postby Aquarius » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:21 pm

Yeah, I was taking another look at that after coming back to this thread to check out your response. I think it's time for me to employ some of those myself.
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Kathy Rose » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:38 pm

That's a great essay! He hit on a lot of things I already try to do, and seeing his words in print validated some of my concerns about writing. He's dead on about having a place to write where you aren't distracted (by the TV, by the family, etc.), and also about making other people (in my case, certain family members) realize that writing is important and not to be taken lightly.

I'm still working on that last one. Hubby will probably only take it seriously if I turn my fan fic writing into a money-making endeavor, alas. Then again, I was bringing in a little money at one time as a newspaper columnist after I'd left my full-time job as an editor. So I guess I can understand his perspective.

And I've already been getting up early for years so that I can have quiet time to write. A cup of coffee, a blank computer screen, and me! Ah!
Old enough to know better, but that's never stopped me before.
Kathy Rose
Captain

Postby Artisticmom2 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:26 am

Good article. It made me stop and ponder the "why" in what I do. Not just in writing either! Thanks for posting the link.
Captain Archer: Do you know how to tell him to shut up?
Ensign Hoshi Sato: SHUT UP!
Artisticmom2
Captain

Return to Resources for Writers