the delphic expanse

Resources on Andorians

Want to bounce ideas off fellow writers? Need some support? Post here.

Resources on Andorians

Postby EntAllat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:06 am

I need some help digging up canon and fanon resources on Andorians.

While I've included Shran a few times in the fics I've got coming up, I've never really had to write in detail on things that would reflect details of his Andorian culture and heritage. Now I've got an OC Andorian in an upcoming fic and that's becoming very, very important.

I know of these websites already:
Wikipedia
Memory Alpha
Memory Beta
Star Trek.com
Star Trek Wikipedia
Starbase118

I seem to remember a more extensive fan site that went into great detail about Andorian biology and sexuality and the nature of their quad marriages. I can't seem to find it though I did find the Andorian section on Fanlore that goes into some detail about this. It also led to The Andor Files: A Summary of the Physiological Roots of Andorian Culture. I'd love to find more of that fan created Andorian lore and details from the 70's and beyond, prior to ENT.

Any pointers?
EntAllat
Site Admin

Re: Resources on Andorians

Postby Aquarius » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:58 pm

Gosh, I am totally racking my brain. I seem to remember something like what you're talking about, but darned if I can remember it! Hasn't Mistress Euclid written about Andorian sex? Maybe she knows where to find the 411 on it.

(Totally un-helpful, I know. But I want to know the answer, too, because it's bugging me now.)
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Kathy Rose » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:39 am

I can't think of anywhere else, either, except I know there were some novels about DS9 set in the period after the series ended that included a young Andorian Starfleet officer. One or two books in particular delved into the Andorian foursome relationship, and how that officer had disappointed his mother by not returning home to begin their family because Andorians were facing a genetic problem reproducing and every child mattered. How much of that is canon and how much is what the writer made up, I don't know. But it's definitely more "modern" than what you were looking for.
Old enough to know better, but that's never stopped me before.
Kathy Rose
Captain

Postby EntAllat » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:33 pm

Kathy Rose wrote:I can't think of anywhere else, either, except I know there were some novels about DS9 set in the period after the series ended that included a young Andorian Starfleet officer. One or two books in particular delved into the Andorian foursome relationship, and how that officer had disappointed his mother by not returning home to begin their family because Andorians were facing a genetic problem reproducing and every child mattered. How much of that is canon and how much is what the writer made up, I don't know. But it's definitely more "modern" than what you were looking for.

From what I heard, some (all?) of the cultural stuff for that ep was drawn from what grew out of fandom's creation of a backstory for the Andorians.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Kathy Rose » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:48 pm

You intrigued me with trying to find this information. Have you checked out this section of The Institute of Alien Studies?
Old enough to know better, but that's never stopped me before.
Kathy Rose
Captain

Postby EntAllat » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:01 pm

Kathy Rose wrote:You intrigued me with trying to find this information. Have you checked out this section of The Institute of Alien Studies?

I was not aware of that, but that looks fantastic! Thank you, Kathy. :)
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby EntAllat » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:59 am

Speaking of Andorians: The Andorian Blues Brothers
EntAllat
Site Admin

Return to Idea Space