the delphic expanse

Musical inspiration

Want to bounce ideas off fellow writers? Need some support? Post here.

Re: Musical inspiration

Postby Glory1863 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:38 am

I always have a disc playing in the car (it's the best music system I have at the moment and doesn't require a headset). I usually get story ideas from music when I'm driving to or from my mom's which is 1 to 1-1/2 hours away depending on the traffic, how many lights I hit red and whether the UP is running freight at a few crossings. I usually do the oldies (you've seen some of the results here) or movie/show music. I find that some songs/artists work in more than one fandom. I'm playing with recycling the chorus to Bruce Springsteen's Atlantic City to a Sherlock fic because I need the same "not dead" vibe I needed for an Enterprise profic drabble. On the other hand, rewriting part of Born in the USA (Born in the Queen's UK) for the same fic will be a little different. :P

I can't listen to music and write, either. Transcribe, yes (as long as I can hear the dictator), but come up with my own work, no. Can't do serious math (like taxes) with music, either. Would be interesting to do a color-coded CAT scan to see what parts of the brain light up when doing those things.
MR_Beautiful avatar by M&M (Mareel and Misplaced)
Glory1863
Captain

Postby jespah » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:38 pm

Interesting topic.

I definitely can't write while listening, but I can't do lots of things while listening. That may have to do with more of an ear for lyrics than music (even if I've heard the song a gazillion times).

I have time travel stories about the first epoch of space flight (Sputnik to the Phoenix). These have playlists. Listen to Ritchie Valens, etc. and suddenly 1959 snaps into much sharper focus, at least it does for me.

I have a bad girl character I was really floundering with until I listened to Amy Winehouse's "You Know I'm No Good". Now every time I think about stuff for that character, I listen to that song and that either inspires me or gets me back to where I need to be if I'm heading down the wrong path.
jespah
Commander

Postby Kylah618 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:28 pm

How did I miss this thread before?

Music is a huge - and I do mean HUGE - influence on my writing. My brain gave birth to the original ideas for Ghosts while listening to one song, but I've used several different pieces for various scenes thoughout the story. It was Fighting for You by the Pirates of the Mississippi. The chorus is just perfect for Trip. I listen to my music selections for a written work constantly: while I'm getting ready for work, in the car, at my desk. It helps keep me inspired and stirs the muse to come up with new ideas.

When I'm actually writing, I turn off the TV and turn up the music. I cannot work in silence.
Malcolm: The radio! Or is it just the galaxy, giggling at us again?
Trip: It can giggle all it wants. But the galaxy's not gettin' any of our burbon!
Kylah618
Lt. Commander

Previous

Return to Idea Space