the delphic expanse

Procrastinator's challenge

Here's where we'll post challenges, word prompts, round robins and other fun stuff.

Procrastinator's challenge

Postby Dinah » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:03 pm

I've been meaning to get around to writing the next chapter of my story for a year now. I sit down at the computer, look at the screen and -- nothing. It makes me feel crappy and I hate to leave things undone. So I've made a promise to myself. I'm tired of being a lazy slug. Somehow I'm going to start writing again.

Since there hasn't been anything new posted since February, I'm going to guess that there might be a few other folks out there who might have been bitten by the procrastination bug. My challenge to myself and to all my fellow writers out there is to get going. Start writing again, even if it's the world's shortest short story. I know a few people have started to write in other fandoms. Fine. Post a link. The heat of summer ought to get the creative juices flowing again.

Good luck!
Dinah
Lieutenant

Re: Procrastinator's challenge

Postby EntAllat » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:44 pm

As an inspiration to myself, here's a tidbit from an ENT story I'm procrastinating on:

Trip leaned against the cool stone pillar and stared out over the Vulcan landscape from under the sheltering shade of a massive rock ledge. From this lofty vantage point he could see several small towns spread out below the mountain and, farther in the distance, the hazy spires of the capital city, Shi’Kara, wavered in the mid-day heat. A transport ship, nearly invisible against the sky because of the distance, slowly and laboriously lifted from the western edge of the city and into the atmosphere.

Behind him, just inside the temple’s entrance, he could hear the Vulcan priest saying something to what was left of the… he frowned. What had T’Pol called it? A kat’ryar, kat’ritan? He grimaced. Honor guard. That’s what it was - a Vulcan honor guard of dignitaries for a tiny innocent.

Oddly, the thought didn’t bring a tear to his eyes. Ever since that private moment in T’Pol’s quarters – was it really only six days ago? – he hadn’t felt the urge to cry, though he was beginning to wish he could. He shifted uncomfortably against the pillar at the thought. It wasn’t an inability to feel something that was bugging him; in fact, it was just the opposite. Since just after the meeting with the Coalition representatives, he’d felt weary and worn out, but on edge. The same sort of anger that had bubbled up inside him after his sister’s death was threatening to do the same now and he didn’t know what to do. He acknowledged the baby’s death. He’d cried. He’d talked to the psychologist from Starfleet Medical. He’d done the social rituals for two different cultures – two different species if someone wanted to get technical about it.

He glanced back over his shoulder. The Vulcan priests hadn’t seemed to know what to do with him, other than to acknowledge his presence and part in the ritual as the baby’s father. Now that it was over, they spoke to T’Pol. Trip’s gaze shifted from the tall, severe looking man in priest’s robes to T’Pol’s pale face. Part of him thought he should be there, by her side or even in front, shielding her from others. But another part of him realized that she needed this contact with other Vulcans, to deal with this in the way that Vulcans dealt with this sort of thing.

He closed his eyes and tried some deep breathing. He was beginning to appreciate the quiet way Vulcans grieved. Frankly, it was a welcome change from the countless “I’m-so-sorries” and flowing tears that had dominated the past week. Sorry didn’t make it better. Neither did the rituals and the fire pits, but at least the Vulcans had let him be.

And here's a bit from a Sherlock story I'm procrastinating on:

John placed his hands on the boot of the car, evenly spaced and with just a little pressure, as if he was trying to keep the vehicle from lifting off the group. He took a deep, calming breath, letting his chin drop to his chest.

“I said I was sorry.” But the tall black-clad figure behind him who spoke the words didn’t sound very sorry to John’s ears.

So John said so, in as even a tone as he could muster under the circumstances. “You don’t sound sorry.”

“And you sound angry.”

Well and so. John looked up, took another deep, breath calming breath… and then vented anyway. “You’re the one who drives!! How could you forget the petrol?! You! You, who remembers every seemingly insignificant detail of a crime scene!" He paused only long enough to take in more air. "You do realize we’re at least 200 km outside of... anywhere!”

“263."

“Right. Yes. Thank you for that.” John smacked the boot of the car once and stepped to the side. “263. And the nearest train station is?”

"And they're not insignificant details,” the other man said tightly, ignoring the question, "That's the point."

I swear, I will get at least ONE more paragraph on something, anything, written before the end of the week.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Artisticmom2 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:14 pm

Ooh! I like what you've got on both of those. Get something done so those can get posted!
Captain Archer: Do you know how to tell him to shut up?
Ensign Hoshi Sato: SHUT UP!
Artisticmom2
Captain

Postby EntAllat » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:39 pm

I shall do my best! :D
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby panyasan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:35 pm

I thought your TnT-piece was wonderful, EntAllat :cheering :cheering

And I would love an update of The Briar Patch, Dinah. You know I always love your writing! :hearteyes
panyasan
Commander

Postby Dinah » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:40 pm

Hi, Panyasan! :Hello I've missing your stories.

I really like the preview of your Enterprise story, EntAllat. :yourock You're doing an excellent job of contrasting Human and Vulcan cultures. And poor Trip. He's trying to pull himself together, but he still seems a little lost.

At the risk of jinxing myself, I almost have a chapter read to go to a beta. After a year. :shock: I can hardly believe it. Now the beta may tell me it stinks and it's back to the drawing board, but at least I've tried. If only I was a good a writer as I am a procrastinator.

I hope some of you are working on stories. It would be lovely to have something new to read during the hot summer days.
Dinah
Lieutenant

Postby panyasan » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:50 pm

Dinah wrote:Hi, Panyasan! :Hello I've missing your stories.

Thank you! Life has a little bit hectic (kids who need attentions, hubs recovering from an accident, working fulltime and having to look for a new job), but I am not short of ideas (maybe of words, it looks like all my English is gone :roll: ). But I am happy that I wrote a new chapter and that I have an awesome beta.

Dinah wrote:At the risk of jinxing myself, I almost have a chapter read to go to a beta.
:cheering Starting again with your story is a hard thing and I am glad to hear you almost have a chapter ready.
panyasan
Commander

Return to Challenges and Word Prompts