the delphic expanse

Short Stories

Here's where we'll post challenges, word prompts, round robins and other fun stuff.

Short Stories

Postby bluetiger » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:27 am

I wanted to do a picture of Trip and his sister Elizabeth. I based it on an older drabble of mine, but wanted to expand the story. I didn't know where to put it, so I hope this is okay.

Pumpkins

Tears rolled down his face. Trip drove his knife into the firm flesh of the pumpkin.

When he spotted chef about to dump the hull into the trash Trip grabbed it up. Taking the pumpkin shell back to his quarters, he stared at it for an hour. He needed to do something familiar, remembered.

Here in the Expanse everything was wrong...home and family like a thing of the past.

Finally, pulling out his pocket knife, Trip began to cut. At home, jack o’ lanterns were a Tucker tradition.

Trip cut remembering the last pumpkin he carved, with a smiling Lizzie.

“Trip Tucker, you promised!”

Cracking one eye open, Trip looked up at his sister. Heaving a sigh, he swung his legs out of the hammock and stood.

“You know that a guy on leave is supposed to relax don’t you?”

Lizzie snorted, “You have been napping all afternoon. Besides, we always carve the pumpkins for Momma and Daddy’s porch together.”

The siblings spent the next two hours carving jack o’ lanterns while telling stories and laughing at their various misadventures since they had last seen each other.

Spying their father, Lizzie called out, “Daddy, take a picture of us.”

Elizabeth pushed the knives and bucket of pumpkin guts out of the way. She and Trip sat side by side, arms around each other, holding their masterpieces.

Charlie Tucker aimed his camera, “I think these are the best ever.”

Lizzie laughed, “You say that every year. Take a good picture of us, Daddy. Since Trip’s shipping out on Enterprise soon, who knows when we’ll get to do this again.”

Trip sat back in his chair. He looked at the freshly carved pumpkin in front of him. Slowly he looked up and reached for one of the many framed pictures on the shelf above his desk.

Involuntarily, Trip smiled at the photograph. They both looked so carefree and happy with those ridiculous pumpkins in their laps.

“Did you somehow know this was the last time?” His breath hitched into a sob.

A heat spread through Trip’s body. The building rage so palpable that Trip was sure he could feel his blood sizzle in his veins.

His next words were a guttural growl of pain, “The Xindi are going to pay, Darlin’…they’re gonna pay!”

bluetiger

Re: Short Stories

Postby panyasan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:29 am

This is wonderful, Bluetiger, absolutely wonderful. The picture and the story are such an union (like all your art work and writing) is. :namaste
panyasan
Commander

Postby Brandyjane » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:49 am

Wonderful!
Brandyjane
Lt. Commander

Postby paulinem » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:27 pm

OMG! That gave me goosebumps and tears at the same time! Just... heartbreakingly beautiful, BT! :hearteyes

Enterprise S5 Website
The continuing adventures of a show that ended too soon...
paulinem
Captain

Postby bluetiger » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:56 pm

Panyasan, Brandyjane, and pauline, thank you so much for the lovely comments.

I appreciate you taking the time to read the story and give the art a look-see :lol:

I know that Trip's anguish is rough but I also wanted to show a tender moment with him and Lizzie. I have been wanting to try and draw her for a while now and really wanted a fun brother, sister moment.
bluetiger

Postby Reanok » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:23 pm

BlueTiger your story and artwork about Elizabeth and Trip is amazing. I like how your drawing portrays how close friends they were and enjoing a happy Moment together carving pumpkins.
Reanok
Captain

Postby bluetiger » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:32 pm

Thank you, Reanok. I think we all got the impression that they had a very special relationship.

I really wanted to covey that in the picture.
bluetiger

Postby bluetiger » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:41 am

Once again this turned into more than a double drabble, so I put it here.

Strong

Trip and T’Pol walked into their cabin after enjoying movie night in the messhall. He had been eager for T’Pol to see this particular movie.

“So, who was your favorite of the Avengers, Darlin’?”

“I admit to being intrigued by the Hulk.”

“Trip snickered, “Because he’s green?”

“No, because he requires anger to gain his strength. We Vulcans are strongest when we are in total control.”

“I’ve always heard about Vulcan superior strength.” Trip stripped his tee shirt off over his head. “Just how strong are you?”

“Would you like me to bench press something for you?”

“That won’t be necessary.” Trip smirked as he unbuttoned his jeans, “I just wonder if maybe you Vulcan’s exaggerate your prowess a teeny bit.”

Before he had time to blink, Trip found himself pressed against the wall, his hands held firmly above his head by his wife’s much smaller ones.

“What do you think now?”

Trip tried, but his wrists wouldn’t budge. He gave T’Pol an amused smile. “Okay, maybe I need to rethink that assumption.” He leaned forward and gave her a quick kiss. “So, what should we do now?”

“We could arm wrestle.”

“No, no…I concede that your Vulcan strength is superior. However, if you let me go, I’ll show you something that I’m really good at.”

T’Pol released her husband’s hands and caressed his bare chest. “What might that be?” She practically purred the words.

Wrapping his arms around her and pulling T’Pol in close, Trip licked the tip of her pointed ear. He felt the shudder that ran the length of her body. “…getting a Vulcan to lose total control.”

bluetiger

Postby Reanok » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:53 am

bluetiger wrote:Once again this turned into more than a double drabble, so I put it here.

Strong

Trip and T’Pol walked into their cabin after enjoying movie night in the messhall. He had been eager for T’Pol to see this particular movie.

“So, who was your favorite of the Avengers, Darlin’?”

“I admit to being intrigued by the Hulk.”

“Trip snickered, “Because he’s green?”

“No, because he requires anger to gain his strength. We Vulcans are strongest when we are in total control.”

“I’ve always heard about Vulcan superior strength.” Trip stripped his tee shirt off over his head. “Just how strong are you?”

“Would you like me to bench press something for you?”

“That won’t be necessary.” Trip smirked as he unbuttoned his jeans, “I just wonder if maybe you Vulcan’s exaggerate your prowess a teeny bit.”

Before he had time to blink, Trip found himself pressed against the wall, his hands held firmly above his head by his wife’s much smaller ones.

“What do you think now?”

Trip tried, but his wrists wouldn’t budge. He gave T’Pol an amused smile. “Okay, maybe I need to rethink that assumption.” He leaned forward and gave her a quick kiss. “So, what should we do now?”

“We could arm wrestle.”

“No, no…I concede that your Vulcan strength is superior. However, if you let me go, I’ll show you something that I’m really good at.”

T’Pol released her husband’s hands and caressed his bare chest. “What might that be?” She practically purred the words.

Wrapping his arms around her and pulling T’Pol in close, Trip licked the tip of her pointed ear. He felt the shudder that ran the length of her body. “…getting a Vulcan to lose total control.”

Great story BlueTiger I also love that drawing you posted too. :hugs :hearteyes
Reanok
Captain

Postby bluetiger » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:02 pm

Thanks, Reanok. I appreciate you reading it.
bluetiger

Next

Return to Challenges and Word Prompts