the delphic expanse

2013 Valentine's Day Challenge -- Song Reveal/Discussion

Here's where we'll post challenges, word prompts, round robins and other fun stuff.

Re: 2013 Valentine's Day Challenge -- Song Reveal/Discussion

Postby Honeybee » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:55 am

I've got a good start on mine. Want to finish all the chapters and not do the serial thing I usually do.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:49 am

Here's the first chapter of my story, Soure Girl. It's basically the MU version fo Seeing Angels and a sequel to my MU story called "A Mirror Cracked" but I did try and write it so it could stand alone.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Kathy Rose » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:54 am

I've been slogging away at my challenge and have realized something: It's not as easy to write a story for one song as I thought it would be. In the past, I had picked the whole song list, and would go with the overall mood, plucking a line here and there from each song. One song, however, seems to be throwing me for a loop. I'm going to do my darnedest to have it done by V-Day. :)
Old enough to know better, but that's never stopped me before.
Kathy Rose
Captain

Postby tarheelladync » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:34 pm

Kathy Rose,

I feel the same way. I got the idea and then wasn't sure if it fit the song, but since I'm over half done with the story, I'm just going to go with it. Hopefully, it will fill in with the song at the end.
If man can dream it, man can do it. To the stars people!!!
tarheelladync
Lieutenant JG

Postby Weerd1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:57 pm

Ha! Got mine in this year!
Weerd1
Ensign

Postby Aquarius » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:44 am

Kathy Rose wrote:I've been slogging away at my challenge and have realized something: It's not as easy to write a story for one song as I thought it would be. In the past, I had picked the whole song list, and would go with the overall mood, plucking a line here and there from each song. One song, however, seems to be throwing me for a loop. I'm going to do my darnedest to have it done by V-Day. :)

That's been my experience, too. I confine myself to one song every year to avoid having too "unfair" of an advantage since I've been the one picking the songs and drawing the names. If I keep it to one song, then I have to be in the drawing so I don't have control over which one I do. I definitely think having more to choose from gives writers greater flexibility, but they see the whole song list and think it automatically equals more work.

Slightly related, I remember one year Mistress Euclid did a short chapter for each song when she took the whole list. It turned out really neat and I am selfishly hoping for something like that again this year!
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Kathy Rose » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:34 pm

I got it done! :woohoo It's been beta'd (Thank you, Artisticmom2!) and I've submitted it.
Old enough to know better, but that's never stopped me before.
Kathy Rose
Captain

Previous

Return to Challenges and Word Prompts