the delphic expanse

HOLIDAY FIC EXCHANGE 2012!!!! :)

Here's where we'll post challenges, word prompts, round robins and other fun stuff.

HOLIDAY FIC EXCHANGE 2012!!!! :)

Postby Aquarius » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:11 pm

I know we haven't even said "Trick or Treat" yet, but I've been so busy, I wanted to make sure this was up by November 1.

This tradition started at another board, then migrated over here with us when we opened the Expanse. Those of us who participated last year had a BLAST! :mrgreen: Here's how it's going to work:

The concept is pretty simple. Sign up in this thread if you want to participate. Your involvement will require you to write one fic, but you will be gifted one fic in return.

Since this community is devoted to various 'ships and and sexual orientations therein, this activity is going to require a degree of flexibility on the part of the authors. Remember, authors, while the activity is meant to challenge you by including several elements of someone else's choosing, it's ultimately about the friend you are making the gift for, not you. Like the last couple of years, you will be allowed to opt out of writing smut (you will declare "smut" or "no smut" when you sign up), but you will not be allowed out of writing het or slash, or a requested pairing.

Sign-ups will be taken until November 15, giving you a little over two weeks to decide whether or not you want to participate. I will lock the thread before I go to bed that night.

Note: If you've participated in this or any of the reviewer contests, please check to make sure you don't still owe someone a fic! If you do, I'll have to disqualify you until you make good on your prior commitments to any outstanding giftees.

On the 16th, names will then be written on pieces of paper, thrown into a hat, and drawn randomly. If a smut/no smut incompatibility between author and giftee occurs,the name will go back into the hat and a new one will be drawn. You will be informed via Private Message who your giftee is. We're working this sort of like "Secret Santa," so don't tell anyone until you archive! 8)

YOU MUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE YOUR FIC BETA READ!! It's a gift, please don't half-ass it or assume you're good enough to get away without one. In fact, since it's a gift, be *more* careful than usual!
:bolian

You may begin archiving your responses on Thanksgiving Day, but you have until January 1, 2013 to post your fic, as those dates bookend the "holidays" for most people.

Your fics do not have to be holiday-oriented, unless your giftee specifically requests it.

When you sign up, include the following information in your post:

THREE THINGS I WANT IN MY FIC:
THREE THINGS I *DON'T* WANT IN MY FIC:
PROMPT (optional)
I AM WILLING TO WRITE SMUT: yes/no
I AM OKAY WITH RECEIVING A SMUTTY FIC AS A GIFT: yes/no

NOTE: If your giftee says he or she is okay with receiving smut, it isn't mandatory that you write smut unless that was one of the three things they requested. Conversely, if you are *asking* for smut, specify if you want a particular 'ship smutted.

Questions? Post them here!

This kind of thing is more fun the more people we have doing it, so please don't be shy!
Aquarius
Site Admin

Re: HOLIDAY FIC EXCHANGE 2012!!!! :)

Postby Honeybee » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:19 pm

You know I'm in:

THREE THINGS I WANT IN MY FIC: Vulcans, TnT, a slash pairing
THREE THINGS I *DON'T* WANT IN MY FIC: War, Snotty Vulcans, bitterness
PROMPT: Luminosity
I AM WILLING TO WRITE SMUT: Yes
I AM OKAY WITH RECEIVING A SMUTTY FIC AS A GIFT: Yes
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Kylah618 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Ohh, I've been looking forward to this all year!

THREE THINGS I WANT IN MY FIC: 1) Some action/adventure. 2) Archer/Tucker
THREE THINGS I *DON'T* WANT IN MY FIC: 1) "Domestic" scenes 2) Drastic AU
PROMPT (optional): None.
I AM WILLING TO WRITE SMUT: Yep
I AM OKAY WITH RECEIVING A SMUTTY FIC AS A GIFT: By all means, yes.

(I tried to come up with three things I want and three things I don't want, but I really can't.)
Malcolm: The radio! Or is it just the galaxy, giggling at us again?
Trip: It can giggle all it wants. But the galaxy's not gettin' any of our burbon!
Kylah618
Lt. Commander

Postby Aquarius » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:49 pm

Wow, that was fast, you two! :mrgreen:

Kylah --this thread will be open until November 15, so if you think of anything between now and then, feel free to edit your post. 8-)

Natch, I'm playing, too!

THREE THINGS I WANT IN MY FIC: a difficult decision, humor, and either TnT or A/T'P (author's choice)
THREE THINGS I DON'T WANT IN MY FIC: Klingons, navel lint, rat poison
PROMPT: A funny thing happened on the way to delivering your Christmas gift...
WILLING TO WRITE SMUT: Yep.
OKAY WITH RECEIVING SMUT? Duh. (Yes)
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby EntAllat » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:13 pm

I can't take part in the Exchange this year - I still owe my giftee (and review recipient) from last year! But I've got two extra short stories to add to each that'll be my gift to same this year.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby tish » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:22 am

Yes! I want to be a part of this again!

THREE THINGS I WANT IN MY FIC: TnT, a bit of a mystery, something fun-author's choice to create!
THREE THINGS I *DON'T* WANT IN MY FIC: angst, AU, war
PROMPT : Solstice
I AM WILLING TO WRITE SMUT: yes/no. I will bite the bullet and say yes. :o
I AM OKAY WITH RECEIVING A SMUTTY FIC AS A GIFT: yes/no And yes again....this should be fun! ;)
TRIP: Hold on. You never said anything about feet.
T'POL: Is that a problem?
TRIP: Well, for one thing, I haven't had a shower since this morning, and I know how sensitive that Vulcan nose of your can be.And I'm a little ticklish.Maybe more than a little.
tish
Commander

Postby tish » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:23 am

EntAllat wrote:I can't take part in the Exchange this year - I still owe my giftee (and review recipient) from last year! But I've got two extra short stories to add to each that'll be my gift to same this year.

Gleefully rubbing my hands in anticipation!!! :cheering
TRIP: Hold on. You never said anything about feet.
T'POL: Is that a problem?
TRIP: Well, for one thing, I haven't had a shower since this morning, and I know how sensitive that Vulcan nose of your can be.And I'm a little ticklish.Maybe more than a little.
tish
Commander

Postby Mistress Euclid » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:48 pm

THREE THINGS I WANT IN MY FIC: light bondage, omnisexuality, christmas gifts
THREE THINGS I *DON'T* WANT IN MY FIC: heartbreak, death, a broken ship
PROMPT: illumination
I AM WILLING TO WRITE SMUT: yes
I AM OKAY WITH RECEIVING A SMUTTY FIC AS A GIFT: yes
I have an AT&T avatar and you don't.
(Thanks to Misplaced!)
Mistress Euclid

Postby Aquarius » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:30 pm

So far, so good! I'm really excited about this. *rubs hands together* :woohoo

There's still time to sign up! Who else is in???
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Kathy Rose » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:08 pm

I really want to do this, but more than that, I want to get my history challenge story done first. I should know in a few days. I did have fun doing it last year.
Old enough to know better, but that's never stopped me before.
Kathy Rose
Captain

Next

Return to Challenges and Word Prompts