the delphic expanse

Thinking aloud -- ROUND ROBINS

Here's where we'll post challenges, word prompts, round robins and other fun stuff.

Re: Thinking aloud -- ROUND ROBINS

Postby tish » Wed May 02, 2012 1:01 am

*rubs hands together*

I have never done a round robin, so I will participate and follow along with the suggestions of those more experienced!
TRIP: Hold on. You never said anything about feet.
T'POL: Is that a problem?
TRIP: Well, for one thing, I haven't had a shower since this morning, and I know how sensitive that Vulcan nose of your can be.And I'm a little ticklish.Maybe more than a little.
tish
Commander

Postby Artisticmom2 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:56 am

This sounds like a creative way to get the creative juices flowing. Where do we sign up?
Captain Archer: Do you know how to tell him to shut up?
Ensign Hoshi Sato: SHUT UP!
Artisticmom2
Captain

Postby panyasan » Wed May 02, 2012 3:22 pm

I think it's an excellent idea to start with round robin threads - it's so much more inviting to jump in and write! I remember writing a drabble story and to post the drabble right away and listening to the remarks was always a great boost to continue.
panyasan
Commander

Postby Aquarius » Wed May 02, 2012 3:36 pm

I haven't created a sign-up yet because I'm still gauging interest and collecting input. Right now, it is, as the thread title suggests, "thinking aloud" -- or at least as close as you can come to that in text. :lol: I am SO grateful for the responses and suggestions so far, and for the details about how it's been handled elsewhere.

So far, this is how I see it taking shape based on the discussions we've had so far -- but please feel free to make comments and suggestions. I want this to be fun without it being a logistical nightmare for everybody.

* Each team will have two threads in their 'ship's section: one for posting segments of the story itself, and one for discussion/feedback. I am going to try to see if I can set it up so only team members have posting rights to the story thread, but anyone can read it.

* If a team requests an NC-17 thread, that will go into a separate section that only logged-in members can see. The teams will decide this amongst themselves.

* Each team needs a minimum of 3 participants to start, but people can join later, and if life demands, people can drop out.

* Teams decide on turn-taking/rotation/whatever themselves.

* Teams will determine if they want any advance story planning.

* Story segments posted to the forum thread do not have to be beta read, however a beta reading must be done prior to submitting to the archive.

* Sign-ups will take place in a separate thread. People can sign up for multiple round robins.

* Each team should probably elect a foreman to keep on top of things, like making sure people are following through with taking their turn and communicating any special needs to forum admin (ie, special NC-17 thread, etc.).

Does this sound OK to everyone so far?
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Kathy Rose » Wed May 02, 2012 7:55 pm

If these are the guidelines everyone agrees upon, I would go along, although personally it's a little too structured for me. No offense meant, just saying my preference.

A suggestion, if I might? We start with one pairing and see how it goes, rather than try 2 or more pairings right off the bat? No doubt some of our members would be interested in more than one of the pairings but might not want to commit to working on more than one at a time. That would cut down on the pool of available writers for any given pairing if stories are being written concurrently.
Old enough to know better, but that's never stopped me before.
Kathy Rose
Captain

Postby Aquarius » Wed May 02, 2012 8:48 pm

If we just start with one pairing, I'm afraid that's going to become an adminly nightmare. Most people here are cool, but somebody somewhere is likely to take it as a slight if it's not their preferred 'ship/genre that's picked. Behind the scenes, we've been accused of bias against certain 'ships and/or genres, when nothing could be further from the truth. And heaven help us if we put this to a vote and TnT is the 'ship that gets picked -- we've also received the accusation that TnT is the only "accepted" 'ship here in the past. So I'd rather go about this in a manner that will make as many people as happy as possible. That way, people don't feel like the only activity available to them is for a 'ship or genre they don't like -- some folks don't like slash, some folks don't like het. Not everyone here is comfortable stepping outside their box. People can suggest whatever ship they want, and if not enough people go along with it, they can't blame us. It'll just mean that if they know any other people who are into it, they need to bring them here so they can play along in this particular sandbox. ;) I understand where you're coming from on this one. I just don't want to give any appearance of prejudice.

As for structured/unstructured, there's advantages and disadvantages both ways. I think no matter how we do this, everyone is going to find it's a little different from what they've done before. I've seen the free-for-all become a hot chaotic mess, and I've seen the super-structured method leave people feeling frustrated and micro-managed. There are also probably examples of both ways that worked great. I'm just trying to find something middle-of-the road, again to try to satisfy as many people as possible while making this as easy from an admin standpoint as possible. I'm trying to leave as much open to the individual teams as possible -- for example, if your team wants to do dibs instead of a structured rotation, you can do that. It's just going to depend on your group dynamic. If there's only a few of you and your dynamic is pretty smooth, a foreman may not be necessary -- but I also don't want the same PM coming from five different people on your team if you need something from me, so you're still gonna need a spokesperson when you do. :lol:

Gosh... :oops: I'm not trying to say no to stuff, and I feel like that's what I'm doing. I'm basically trying to show that I've been putting quite a bit of thought into this and explain where I'm coming from on some of this stuff. And none of this means that we can't change things once we get going and see how it works. :bolian

No offense taken, I promise.
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby EntAllat » Thu May 03, 2012 7:53 pm

I like the list of logistics so far. I don't know if this is worth adding yet, but maybe we should have a special "tag" in the archive for completed Round Robin stories? You know, I'm trying to think of anything else I would add to that list, but nothing comes to mind right now. You already suggested the foreman. (In the physical round robin thing I was part of, there was one person responsible for keeping track of where the object was, who was in and out of the RR, etc. That helped a lot.)

Anybody else have any suggestions?

I'm excited about this! For a couple of years now I've been writing stories with a group - the Twitter group - but real life stuff has diminished the amount of time we can hang together or throw ideas back-and-forth. I didn't realize just how much of an inspiration that can be to my other writing. And by that I don't necessarily mean the ideas that we come up with. Instead it's the writing process itself that's so awesome - there's something very freeing about seeing a work take shape via a group effort like that. You don't worry so much about the blank page - it helped jump start my own stuff.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby ladyrainbow » Tue May 08, 2012 6:37 pm

I'd be interested in a RR. Just let me know what's up. :-D
ladyrainbow
Commander

Postby Aquarius » Tue May 08, 2012 10:36 pm

Stay tuned to this thread for details. I know I've been quiet about this for a few days. Been in a state of flux since just before the weekend. Summer semester started yesterday, and whether or not one of my university jobs would be open to me was up in the air. Got it settled now, so I can think about fun again!
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby tish » Thu May 17, 2012 8:49 am

Now that I can finally read without hurting (spring crud messing with head and eyes) I am interested in this as well. Thank you all for doing the heavy work input on the ideas and all.
TRIP: Hold on. You never said anything about feet.
T'POL: Is that a problem?
TRIP: Well, for one thing, I haven't had a shower since this morning, and I know how sensitive that Vulcan nose of your can be.And I'm a little ticklish.Maybe more than a little.
tish
Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Challenges and Word Prompts