the delphic expanse

Playlist Drabble Challenge

Here's where we'll post challenges, word prompts, round robins and other fun stuff.

Re: Playlist Drabble Challenge

Postby paulinem » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:56 pm

Just lovely, me lady! Just, lovely! :hearteyes :cheering

Enterprise S5 Website
The continuing adventures of a show that ended too soon...
paulinem
Captain

Postby Misplaced » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:22 pm

Resurrecting an old thread. Because I can. :nah

Here's a little MU Hoshi inspired by The Wolf by Fever Ray:

Hoshi knows what she is. Cunning. Self-serving. Scheming. Unfeeling. Cruel. She wears these descriptors like badges of honor—with pride in what she’s accomplished by underhanded dealings and, perhaps, a little murder.

Others believe her born this way. Let them. They needn’t know the truth:

Monsters are made. Forged in the backrooms in Kyoto, Japan—where a fatherless daughter of a geisha, fresh in her adolescence, fetches a pretty price. Tempered in the dorms in San Francisco during unspeakable acts brushed off as common hazing incidents.

Empress Hoshi knows what she is—and what she will never be again: powerless.
Misplaced

Postby bluetiger » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:00 am

Holy cow, that is intense. The line Monsters are made sent a chill up my spine, because it is so true.

An amazing insight into the cruelty that created Empress Sato.
bluetiger

Postby Frakme » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:14 am

Wow, you say so much in few words, positively spine chilling, Misplaced! No one wants to cross Empress Hoshi!

Oops edited, apologies to Misplaced for thinking Bluetiger wrote it!
Last edited by Frakme on Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What I wouldn't give to have an Episode of Enterprise where Trip somehow manages to loses his uniform and gets covered in Nutella.

Aeryn: And you say you want to go back to that place of pain and suffering!
John: Well you guys don't have chocolate!
Frakme
Commander

Postby Reanok » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:32 pm

Wow! Mispalced you certainly captured Empress Hoshi in your story. Very powerful character piece. :clap
Reanok
Captain

Postby Aquarius » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:08 pm

Misplaced wrote:Resurrecting an old thread. Because I can. :nah

Here's a little MU Hoshi inspired by The Wolf by Fever Ray:

Hoshi knows what she is. Cunning. Self-serving. Scheming. Unfeeling. Cruel. She wears these descriptors like badges of honor—with pride in what she’s accomplished by underhanded dealings and, perhaps, a little murder.

Others believe her born this way. Let them. They needn’t know the truth:

Monsters are made. Forged in the backrooms in Kyoto, Japan—where a fatherless daughter of a geisha, fresh in her adolescence, fetches a pretty price. Tempered in the dorms in San Francisco during unspeakable acts brushed off as common hazing incidents.

Empress Hoshi knows what she is—and what she will never be again: powerless.

:jawdrop :jawdrop :jawdrop :jawdrop :jawdrop :jawdrop :jawdrop :jawdrop :jawdrop :jawdrop

First -- AMAZING!!
Second -- we missed you!!! :hugs
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Misplaced » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:49 am

:oops: Thank you guys so much! It's nice to come back to my old stomping ground. :hearthead
Misplaced

Postby AGrugan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:19 pm

Glory1863 wrote:
panyasan wrote:I liked the idea of Trip trying a visit in with T'Pol (muse went overdrive :lol: ).

Go for it, Panyasan! Feel free to take up where I left off. :D I stopped writing for several months and am just now maybe starting to get the muse back. Drabbles are about all I can handle, and it's been (and continues to be) a real struggle. If I tried anything longer in the TnT vein it wouldn't work. As someone said elsewhere, you can't get others to buy something you don't believe in yourself.

I was checking the drabble prompts for my project at ff.net when I discovered that someone had used the song The Way We Were to answer the prompt "memory." I'd joked around at the time that I'd have to move on to the song from Cats and that Porthos wasn't going to be happy. :lol: I finally got around to it, although it's a double drabble. Memory from the musical Cats by T. S. Eliot, Andrew Lloyd-Webber and Trevor Nunn. There seems to be different sets of lyrics for this song. These are the ones I had in mind. Just a reminder, Stinky is the original creation of SitaZ. This fluffy kind of stuff with some AU MU "badness" thrown in every once in awhile is more my speed. Like Dirty Harry says, "You've got to know your limitations." :oops:

Stinky, a small, old, calico cat, sat on the window seat in the moonlight and remembered a time when he knew what adventure was as a member of the Enterprise pride. They’d had enough to fill nine lives; indeed, Brave Tiger, who’d rescued him from a bad place, had gone through all of his defending the pride and its territory. After that, he’d shared a den with Lady Many Purrs. His antics made her smile when she missed Brave Tiger, and she petted him when he felt the same. In time, she mated with Sleek Panther and now they had a pride of their own. He heard Malcolm-kun and Mariko-chan laughing in the other room. They were always very gentle with him, but he was too old and too arthritic to keep up with them or to be much fun when they played. He missed the old days and old friends, even Porthos.

“You’ve done well, lad. You’ve taken good care of her. She and Travis are happy. You’ve earned your reward.”

Stinky scampered across the bridge to the Heaviside layer where he’d begin a new life. He’d always been told he was special. He was a true Jellicle cat.

And so ends the story of Stinky the Enterprise cat. :cry:

Edited to fix a translation error. Domo arigato, Panyasan. (Hope I got that right!) :)

So I take it Hoshi and Travis end up married with two kids?
AGrugan
Ensign

Postby HopefulNebula » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:04 pm

*knocks gently* Anyone still around? Maybe hiding under the couch?

I watched Fun Home the other day. This combined with my decision to drabble more this year, and behold: 100 words based on Ring of Keys.

He hadn’t expected her to actually shake his hand; he’d just wanted to mess with her a little, and it had been a relief when she’d turned away from him.

He hadn’t expected a moment of something strange and unidentifiable in the moment they first made eye contact.

He hadn’t expected to get so physically close to her when they argued in decon, or to work so seamlessly with her in Engineering once they had realized a common goal.

Years later, when they finally settled things between them, he hadn’t expected her to have felt the same even back then.
HopefulNebula
Lt. Commander

Postby Dinah » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:35 pm

This is very nice, HopefulNebula! What a nice present for the New Year. Thank you!!! :mademyday
Dinah
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Challenges and Word Prompts