the delphic expanse

Playlist Drabble Challenge

Here's where we'll post challenges, word prompts, round robins and other fun stuff.

Playlist Drabble Challenge

Postby Misplaced » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:18 pm

Because we just can't drabble enough, right? I got the greenlight from Honeybee so here goes.

This is a take-off from the random playlist thread in Social space. Here's what you do: Open your media player, set it to random/shuffle. Then write one or more drabbles inspired by the songs that come up. One 100-word drabble per song and no skipping! Be sure to list the song and artist when you post your drabble(s).

Consider this, in a way, a "musical drabble challenge--just because." :mrgreen: I'll start us off with three playlist-inspired drabbles that I wrote today:

1. Alone by Celine Dion

“Before the Kiss” (Trip/T'Pol)

His laughter still sends pebbles to her skin as they leave sickbay together. She has missed this, missed the way his mere presence anchors her. He has been back on the ship for only a few weeks, and he is leaving again—leaving her again.

Unacceptable.

And yet, the words do not come immediately. He walks away, and she feels the moment slipping through her fingers like mazhiv. Suddenly, the words are there, springing from her lips. Stay. Stay because I need you.

He smiles, but makes no commitment. What more can she do or say?

Then, she knows…

[A/N: mazhiv = sand]

2. Bring Me Down by Pillar

“Indomitable” (Mirror Universe, Archer and Forrest)

“The bridge is yours, Captain.”

Jon likes the purple that colors Forrest's face. The mutiny may have been unsuccessful, but Jon still has his victories. He will make Forrest listen. He will make Starfleet Command listen. He wants them all to know, to understand that he should have been captain—that Forrest is not daring enough to bring glory to the Empire.

“Throw him into the agony booth!” yells Forrest, the veins popping in his neck.

Jon laughs as the soldiers roughly usher him to the lift. Forrest can torture him, but Jon knows he has won.

3. My Life Would Suck Without You by Kelly Clarkson

“Dysfunctional” (Mirror Universe, Trip/T'Pol)

Tucker doesn't even have to look up when the doors to the mess hall open. He knows it's her, the Vulcan—his Vulcan. He looks anyway. She's wearing a short dress—a very short dress—and black boots that come up to her knees. He licks his lips as she crosses the room.

You're gonna regret what you did.

He should have told her she was going to pay for what she did, because he realizes that's exactly what she's going to have to do. She's going to have to make payment to him.

All night long.

Now it's your turn!
Misplaced

Re: Playlist Drabble Challenge

Postby Kathy Rose » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Those are fantastic, Misplaced! What strikes me is that, although the tone of each drabble is quite different, they're all very powerful.

Why am I still amazed at what 100 little words can do?
Old enough to know better, but that's never stopped me before.
Kathy Rose
Captain

Postby Mr Smith » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:53 pm

I decided to give it a go, but I'm a little rusty. My first drabble song was Crawl Through Knives by In Flames.

Crawl Through Knives

There was pain approaching, he felt it in his bones.

Malcolm's heart raced as he moved to protect his Captain, catching the blade in his chest. One gasp roared in his ears, then he fell. He didn't expect the arms that caught him.

Dazedly, he fumbled for the wound, but broad, adept hands were already pressing against his frightened heart, painted in his gushing blood. Bright eyes stared into his own and moving lips snagged his attention, but he couldn't hear the words.

Jonathan had seen his doubts, his fear. He didn't want to die embraced by duty before love.
"Is that really how you see me? The eternal pessimist? The grim reaper? I don't want to die, what makes you think I want to die?"
Mr Smith
Captain

Postby Misplaced » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:58 pm

That ought to come with a hanky warning! I'm all verklempt and stuff. Well done, Mr Smith. So incredibly evocative!
Misplaced

Postby Kathy Rose » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:46 am

Wow, Mr Smith!
Old enough to know better, but that's never stopped me before.
Kathy Rose
Captain

Postby mareel » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:06 am

Wow. That is intense. I love that Malcolm understands what Jonathan is conveying to him.
mareel
Lt. Commander

Postby Mr Smith » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:44 pm

Thank you all for the positive response, I'm glad it was enjoyable to read. I spent a few hours fretting and fiddling with it at one in the morning, not a good time to be writing drabbles methinks.
"Is that really how you see me? The eternal pessimist? The grim reaper? I don't want to die, what makes you think I want to die?"
Mr Smith
Captain

Postby paulinem » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:43 pm

First can I just say...

WoW! Each of these drabbles were just excellent!

Second, I won't be able to join in this drabble. Image Why? I hear you ask. Well, cos I don't have a playlist! Image So I'll just enjoy the reads! :)

Enterprise S5 Website
The continuing adventures of a show that ended too soon...
paulinem
Captain

Postby Misplaced » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:45 pm

paulinem wrote:First can I just say...

WoW! Each of these drabbles were just excellent!

Second, I won't be able to join in this drabble. Image Why? I hear you ask. Well, cos I don't have a playlist! Image So I'll just enjoy the reads! :)

You could do a random song that comes up on the radio. *wink* (Man, I miss the smilies! :lol:)
Misplaced

Postby mareel » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:39 am

Title: Finding Peace
Pairing: Archer/Reed
Rating: G
Summary: "...left shattered on the ground, you picked me up"
Notes: This is Season 4, Affliction/Divergence. Prompted by the lyrics of "Peace of Me" - Natasha Bedingfield. The quote in the summary is from those lyrics.

“Why, Malcolm? Why couldn’t you come to me with this?”

The question was on his lips, in his eyes… accompanied by a heartbreaking pain. I had no answers for him. Or for myself, even on the verge of losing everything that ever really mattered.

Jonathan never gave up, searching my face, my soul, for some trace of the man he loved in my broken shadow. He must have found what he sought, accepting all of my apologies, the promises spoken and silent. Trusting, ultimately, in the love between us… that it will lead us back, together.

Forgiveness… his priceless gift.
mareel
Lt. Commander

Next

Return to Challenges and Word Prompts