the delphic expanse

General Trek Book Discussion

From the Relaunch series to the Glass Empire stories, talk about Enterprise profic here.

Re: General Trek Book Discussion

Postby The Middleman » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:23 pm

Reanok wrote:Enterprise the Romulan war is coming out October 25,2011 someone on another board told me they contacted Micheal Martin and he metioned this may be the last Enterprise book for a very long time.Which is really disappointing. I wanted to see more Enterprise books there's alot of untold stories left to tell.I hope they'll reconsider publishing just post Tng books at the expense of other the startrek bookfor the different tv series.Let the Tng books be set aside awhile so the other series books can be written and published.

I really hope this is not true, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was. 

If any of you know me then you know I'm not the kind of guy to rant, rave and loose his temper, :roll: I'm really an even tempered kind of guy. :lol: But if ever there was a time to loose ones temper over something, this is it. I don't know about you people but, as an Enterprise fan, I'm getting real tired of getting shit on by TPTB in this franchise. If this is true, this is like a final insult. They cut the series short, they gave us a piece of crap finale and so many loose ends left unresolved. And now, to add insult to injury, they can't see their way clear to give us just one or two books a year? Are there so few of us that they can just ignore us; there is no money to be made from us? I just can't believe it.

Around 1990 i walked away from this franchise for 17 years, until I found Enterprise in 2007. I'm just as capable of walking away from it again and take my spending power with me. I mean hey, it's not like "Abrams Trek" is all that great anyway.
Last edited by The Middleman on Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The connection that she and Trip had shared was no mere casual dalliance. It was identical to the link that united two of her oldest friends in the bonds of Syrrannite marriage. And that makes Charles Tucker my mate, she thought ... TRW:BTRW
The Middleman
Lieutenant JG

Postby The Middleman » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:24 pm

Aquarius wrote:I think it's time for us to get organized and lobby.

If you guys are serious, I'm in. You can make this site the HQ for the effort.
The connection that she and Trip had shared was no mere casual dalliance. It was identical to the link that united two of her oldest friends in the bonds of Syrrannite marriage. And that makes Charles Tucker my mate, she thought ... TRW:BTRW
The Middleman
Lieutenant JG

Postby Honeybee » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:35 pm

My understanding was that the relaunch books have been pretty successful. This is ridiculous. I will be ordering the new book as soon as possible, but I'd also be on board with any possible campaign.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby EntAllat » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:27 am

You know, this situation just baffles me. Star Trek: Enterprise is the only Trek book series where nearly every fan I know is fully aware of what's coming out, when, what's next and what the stories are. And is willing to buy it. And is waiting for new stuff. Even those that don't care for the books are still well aware of them.

Very few of the other Trek fans I know read any of the TOS, TNG, VOY or DS9 books. The handful I knew of that did read the books all stopped years ago - one of them citing that there were just too many multi-book series.

Enterprise fans crave new stuff. Our favorite series ended far too early and generally we seek more of it in any form we can get. I would think that the line would be reasonably profitable, especially via Kindle/eReader sales where the overhead is less.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Reanok » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:53 am

As I mentioned about Dicussing the Enterrpise novels with other fans on other boards we want more books to come out whats the big deal about having one or two Enterprise novels coming out every year. not everyone is interested in reading endless TNG era books either. I don't like the Tng era books that much anymore. I got bored with the books after reading the Typhon pact miniseries I didn't care for the books at all. I forced myself to finish reading the last book it was dull the TNG books are getting too repeative like a broken record they're stuck in a rut storywise.:evil: . .The fans I talked to want want Enterprise novels. Good grief they didn't even have a Enterprise story antholgy to celebrate the shows tenth anniversary next month when all the other series had books come out even for their twenty year anniversary for goodness sake. :stickpoke :crazy :madashell :bluemeanie Come on Pocket books give the Enterprise fans a straight answer when it comes to publishing your books for goodness sake,we deserve our Enterprise novels too we buy the books to support the Enterpise novels ao we can get more books publishe din the future.No one can seem to get a straight answer from the people running pocket books since there's been a big turn over in book editors the last 2 years who knows what's going on with Pockect or Gallery books nowdays. And what type of Startrek books will be published next year.
Reanok
Captain

Postby Reanok » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:27 am

Someone contacted me .and wanted me to post any book news if I found anything out about the Startrek books.Last month was shore the biggest gathering of Startrek authors and fans holding panels about Startrek books and writing novels. According to the Startrek authors no editors or sales people appeared at Shoreleave to sale Star Trekbooks or had any news releases for the new Startrek books coming out next year the authors were very disapppointed with this continuing trend.At Comic com Pockect books had a both promoting only the Startrek Reboot Kids books. Zane Gray was at comic and asked them about why there was no news about the Startrek Enterprise Romulan war books they wouldn't answer his questions about the books either. something odd is going on when it comes to the Startrek bookline I checked out twitter for their book pages and there almost hardly any mention of the books anymore last time they had any news it was clear back in April and may.Same thing with their Facebook pages hardly any Startrek book news at all. :roll:
Reanok
Captain

Postby Aquarius » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:04 pm

As I said, I think it's time to make ourselves heard. This is one of those things where, if we all sit around waiting for somebody to do something, nothing will get done.

So my question is, who's going to step up to the plate and lead the charge? As much as I'd love to do it, I have to be realistic and admit that I'm overcommitted right now as it is. I can write letters and send tweets and even make suggestions, but I just can't commit myself to getting everything organized and choosing a strategy and getting everyone rallied. It's a big commitment, one that requires leadership and organizational skills and follow-through. I have plenty of the first and second but I'm short on the third.

So, who here has the time, motivation, and Tekkie tenacity to get this done?
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby EntAllat » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:28 pm

I'm willing to step up to save the entire line of Star Trek books, and to rally for more ENT novels. But to be honest, before I do that I want to find out more about what the situation is in-house at the publisher and where these decisions are going and why:

Is it because licensing has changed? Is it the publisher's decision to make the changes to the entire line, or is it CBS or Paramount that's pushing a new direction for licensed products? Is Simon and Schuster having trouble staying afloat (this is a real problem for a lot of publishers). With Borders bookstores closing their doors, that's another distribution channel that's gone kaput. How are ebook sales when it comes to Trek? Would it be more effective if Enterprise fans reliably bought ebooks - i.e. would that be profitable enough to the publisher that they'd listen to us and expand the line?

They appear to have been successful with several multi short story books (like the Mirror Universe series) which also have more relaxed guidelines for authors than for the novels. I'd love to see a line of Enterprise anthologies.

Anyway, once I know a little more, I'd be comfortable - and very willing - to lead a charge.

Reanok? What authors have you spoken with at Shoreleave and elsewhere? Could you PM me those names?
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby The Middleman » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:09 pm

Best I could find for the cover
Last edited by The Middleman on Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Middleman
Lieutenant JG

Postby The Middleman » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:11 pm

EntAllat wrote:I'm willing to step up to save the entire line of Star Trek books, and to rally for more ENT novels. But to be honest, before I do that I want to find out more about what the situation is in-house at the publisher and where these decisions are going and why:

I was going to volunteer as well. Tell you what, let's co chair. PM me when you get a chance.
The Middleman
Lieutenant JG

PreviousNext

Return to Enterprise Books