the delphic expanse

For A Good Cause

Whether you follow the RU or the MU or both, discuss the exciting happenings here.

For A Good Cause

Postby EntAllat » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:17 pm

Last year, our TwitterFiction group did something different, just in time for the holiday season. TwitterFiction For a Good Cause.

All of the "stories" we tweet are original fiction, created by the players involved. But last December we held a contest. We solicited nominations for fanfiction and encouraged others to write something that would then be voted on via donations to the Make A Wish Foundation. We reenacted the fanfic that resulted in the most donations.

We'd love to do something like this again but, to be perfectly honest, the amount of effort we had to put into it something that resulted in a fairly small donation makes us hesitate to do it again. So we'd like to test the waters and find out what kind of interest we could generate in something similar this year.

Here's the details from last year.

This year our group does both RU and MU, so crossovers would be fine and PG-13 T/R slash would be fine in the Mirror U. What we'd like to do is get a volunteer who can help us with the logistics of generating buzz and support, manage the contest and donations while we work on creating a tweetable version of the winning fanfic.

Let us know here in this thread if there's any interest in this and I'll pass it along to the rest of the ENT Twitter gang.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby EntAllat » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:33 pm

I just realized that I should add:

It's not necessary to choose Make A Wish for this effort again this year. We chose it last year, out of a pool of almost fifteen charities, because it allowed folks to donate directly to them (we didn't have to handle any money - a HUGE consideration for us), they had an international effort (and we have followers outside of the U.S. as well as one player from Spain) and international donation capabilities (in the end we didn't get any donations from outside the U.S.) and because of the symbolism of the stars and Star Trek.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby EntAllat » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:36 am

It's been almost two weeks and it looks like there may not be interest or quite possibly the time for folks to get involved (it's a busy time of year) for an effort like this.

The last time we did this it took about a week to transform a written fic into twitter-text, and two weeks before that to promote the contest/charity and settle who won. So, given that ... I'm going to leave this thread open for one more week, then close it. We wouldn't have enough time to pull it off after that.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby EntAllat » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:00 pm

I can't actually lock this thread myself but it's been long enough and no responses. We won't be taking on this effort this year.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Return to Enterprise TwitterFic