the delphic expanse

ENT Twitterfic Basics

Whether you follow the RU or the MU or both, discuss the exciting happenings here.

ENT Twitterfic Basics

Postby EntAllat » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:48 pm

Thanks for creating a forum for this!

For those who may not know what this is all about, here's an excerpt from our Introductory Guide:

“So what is this thing?”

It’s part role-play, part fan-fiction at 140 characters at a time.

It started out as something far simpler – just a couple of characters using Twitter to comment on their day and occasionally send messages to each other, based on the example set by the Firefly characters on Twitter. We were even fairly vague as to “when” these characters existed (i.e. what season) and the nature of their relationships to each other.

It quickly took on a life of its own and since then it’s evolved into something else – a sort of continuous piece of fan-fiction that extends the Star Trek:Enterprise story beyond the 4th season of the show.

Most of the action is thoroughly planned behind-the-scenes well ahead of time between the character’s players, while some of it is completely spontaneous and made-up as we go along. The results vary from serious to action-packed and from angst-ridden to the somewhat ridiculous.

Some people refer to this as “RP” or “Twitter RPGs”. While the first may be accurate, since role-play is a significant part of what we do, we prefer to think of this as “fan fiction” rather than a computer-based role-playing game. Most of the peopel involved in our group are writers and we plan our stories out – from settings to complications to resolutions – and keep our audience in mind as we deliver them.

You can read more about it as well as find out how best to follow the stories here:
http://enterprisefic.wordpress.com/about/

Summaries of the stories we told in 2009 are here:
http://enterprisefic.wordpress.com/about/previously-on-enterprise/

And some of the summaries for 2010 are here:
http://enterprisefic.wordpress.com/abou ... ening-now/

I'm woefully behind in updating. I'll try to get that taken care of this week.

Here's the characters to follow on Twitter:
http://enterprisefic.wordpress.com/about/crew/
http://enterprisefic.wordpress.com/about/mirror-universe/

Our blog is here:
http://enterprisefic.wordpress.com/

At some point we'll start posting prose-versions of the past Twitter stories on our blog, and hopefully here as well.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:52 pm

I made your post a stickie! So, everyone will always see the basics first.

Feel free to post any updates of new stories - MU or RU.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby EntAllat » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:12 pm

Awesome, thanks! :D
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Misplaced » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:50 pm

Is there a schedule as to what days or times that these stories are taking place?

I happen upon them on accident sometimes, but not nearly enough for my liking. (Especially Colonel Reed. Don't ask me why, but he's my absolute favorite! LOL)
Misplaced

Postby EntAllat » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:52 am

Misplaced wrote:Is there a schedule as to what days or times that these stories are taking place?

I happen upon them on accident sometimes, but not nearly enough for my liking.

Yes and no. :D :D

Basically there are two kinds of RP you might stumble across: "planned stories" and "unplanned interactions":

For the latter, the schedule is completely random and is a result of whenever a player or players feels the muse or can be online to interact with each other or the audience. These are totally unplanned, although sometimes we'll come up with an idea at the last minute to further an upcoming story. However, just by accident, we do tend to bring out the RU (or Main U) characters during the day and the Mirror during the evening although there are exceptions. (Notably Trip and Malcolm interactions which often happen very late in the evening, after 10pm EDT - again, not planned, it's just happened that way because of our personal schedules.)

For our planned stories - the ones that we announce dates for, do a lot of foreshadowing for or do teasers for? Those we do schedule, often weeks in advance although life and freelance jobs will tend to force last minute adjustments on us. Planned stories usually occur on three or four consecutive weekday afternoons between 1pm and 6pm EDT. We almost never RP a planned story over the weekend and only rarely in the evening. If you realize you've missed a story, it's a safe bet you can just scroll through the combined RU/MU list for three days worth of tweets and get the whole thing.

Misplaced wrote:(Especially Colonel Reed. Don't ask me why, but he's my absolute favorite! LOL)

LOL! I consider that high praise from someone who loves and writes for the MU so much. :D :D

BTW, you're not alone in that. We've had two versions of the MU since 2008. Pre-IAMD and now post-IAMD (we started from scratch with new versions of the MU characters, a whole new MU universe and new stories). "Major" Malcolm Reed was also a favorite back then - I was his RPer - closely followed by Commander Tucker.

Mind if I pass this along to the current player? One of the down sides to this type of fiction is that we don't get a lot of feedback unless our audience is online and engaged with it at the time. The current player took over the character with the new version of the MU and would probably appreciate the compliment on their version of MU Malcolm. Their version is based somewhat on what I'd done with the "Major" but with some significant and specific differences.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Misplaced » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:17 am

Thanks for the information. I really enjoy the twitter fic.

And you are more than welcome to pass my praise along. I actually had an interaction with that character a few days back on Twitter and it was fantastic fun. It has actually inspired some of my recent stuff in the WIP stage.
Misplaced

Postby EntAllat » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:41 am

Passing along a message:

*beam* EntAllat, would you thank them for me? :-) If you want, you can let them know that the player is indeed male. :D

So now you know. :) He's unlikely to show up here, since he's pretty private in RL.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Misplaced » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:21 am

Aw! You tell him that he does a fantastic disdainful, sarcastic Reed. I've never flirted with a fictional character before. It's incredibly fun.

Thank all the players. They are all awesome! (MU Tucker is a riot!)
Misplaced

Return to Enterprise TwitterFic