the delphic expanse

Fraternizaiton policy?

Discuss the ongoing stories and how you use them. Talk about episodes, story arcs, seasons and how the prequel fits into the larger Trek-verse. Tech issues, Starfleet issues and science discussions relating to the show are also housed here.

Re: Fraternizaiton policy?

Postby Glory1863 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:18 am

Misplaced wrote:Granted, we had O'Brien & Keiko in TNG/DS9. But as I recall, that didn't last. And Worf got married, but again, that didn't last (due to Jadzia Dax's death). And Tom/B'Elanna on VOY (which, IIRC, did last--but I don't remember if they were officially married).

Even Kirk got married, but that didn't last, either. She was killed. Maybe the married captains (or married anyone else) didn't work because you could find those kind of stories on the soap operas. Married angst wasn't the first thing you were looking for when you wanted to watch sci-fi.
MR_Beautiful avatar by M&M (Mareel and Misplaced)
Glory1863
Captain

Postby Honeybee » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:21 am

It would have been a tricky thing for the writers to deal with, for sure to do it without becoming soap opera-ric. Or, the danger of having Archer married to a woman would also be having her turn into a damsel in distress - because it would be an easy way to create drama to put her in danger. It would have taken a sophisticated touch.

And of course, it would not preclude Archer from being attracted to or pursued by babes of the week - he just wouldn't be able to act on it, unless circumstances were really extraordinary. But that could be a whole different kind of tension.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Hummingbird2 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:43 pm

we had O'Brien & Keiko in TNG/DS9. But as I recall, that didn't last.

Actually, it did. They were still married by the end of the series (once they stopped being the 'petty fighting O'Briens' that is).
Icon by TwilightProwler.
Hummingbird2
Commander

Postby Glory1863 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:57 pm

Hummingbird2 wrote:
we had O'Brien & Keiko in TNG/DS9. But as I recall, that didn't last.

Actually, it did. They were still married by the end of the series (once they stopped being the 'petty fighting O'Briens' that is).

I thought they were still together, but the "petty fighting O'Briens" was exactly what I meant by you can get this in a soap opera, you don't need to look for it in sci-fi. I'm also guessing that that all-important 18-24-year-old male viewer demographic couldn't care less about that sort of plot if they tried. OK, they'd look at the girl if she were stacked, but otherwise . . .
MR_Beautiful avatar by M&M (Mareel and Misplaced)
Glory1863
Captain

Postby Misplaced » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:10 pm

Honestly, I think it could have worked if the marriage and its issues had little screen time -- It's there, but not in your face (like the O'Brien's thing got to be for me). Sure people can struggle in their marriages, but not always. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it doesn't have to be a major adversity either. I don't know if I'm making sense.
Misplaced

Postby creek_chub » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:19 pm

Misplaced wrote:Honestly, I think it could have worked if the marriage and its issues had little screen time -- It's there, but not in your face (like the O'Brien's thing got to be for me). Sure people can struggle in their marriages, but not always. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it doesn't have to be a major adversity either. I don't know if I'm making sense.

I feel like the Paris/Torres relationship handled this balance well. We occasionally saw the good stuff as well as the bad stuff but on the whole the relationship itself wasn't a major focus. And in the instances where the relationship did come in to play it (to me, anyway) felt very organic and not forced, although given the circumstances of the show they probably had more leeway to bring up relationship arcs in a natural manner.
creek_chub
Lieutenant

Postby EntAllat » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:50 pm

creek_chub wrote:
Misplaced wrote:Honestly, I think it could have worked if the marriage and its issues had little screen time -- It's there, but not in your face (like the O'Brien's thing got to be for me). Sure people can struggle in their marriages, but not always. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it doesn't have to be a major adversity either. I don't know if I'm making sense.

I feel like the Paris/Torres relationship handled this balance well. We occasionally saw the good stuff as well as the bad stuff but on the whole the relationship itself wasn't a major focus. And in the instances where the relationship did come in to play it (to me, anyway) felt very organic and not forced, although given the circumstances of the show they probably had more leeway to bring up relationship arcs in a natural manner.

You make perfect sense Misplaced. I agree with both of these - I wish sometimes the writers were able to find the drama that's needed to weave a story around without it always being a struggling relationship. The thing is, stable relationships are sometimes hard to come by in the industry, so there's not a lot of great examples.

One of my favorite married-couples-on-screen lately was the husband and wife team of teacher/counselor and coach in Friday Night Lights. That was real and coach didn't have to be single and struggling with a dating relationship for the series to have plenty of drama.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:59 pm

Hey, I found the full length version of Sex In Space on YouTube! Check it out. It's only 44 minutes long, but it addresses a lot of the things that come up when we think/write about this subject, and some others that are more 21st century as well.
Aquarius
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Episodes, Arcs, and Seasons