the delphic expanse

Extensive medical intervention

Discuss the ongoing stories and how you use them. Talk about episodes, story arcs, seasons and how the prequel fits into the larger Trek-verse. Tech issues, Starfleet issues and science discussions relating to the show are also housed here.

Re: Extensive medical intervention

Postby Aquarius » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:14 pm

I found a link to the recording in question. I suppose since this is Gene's own voice and Marc Lenard is in character, one could probably take this as the firmest of soft canon?
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:20 pm

Okay, devil's advocate.

It's pretty clear that Spock is genetically mostly Vulcan. He's got green blood, pointed ears and his heart is where his liver should be. Perhaps the trouble was that Amanda's body tried to reject the Vulcan child, but a Vulcan woman carrying a half human child that was genetically most Vulcan due to dominate Vulcan genetics - wouldn't need the same level of medical intervention?

Although, far be it from me to contradict soft canon - I'm a big booster of the relaunch books.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby EntAllat » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:42 pm

Honeybee wrote:Okay, devil's advocate.

It's pretty clear that Spock is genetically mostly Vulcan. He's got green blood, pointed ears and his heart is where his liver should be. Perhaps the trouble was that Amanda's body tried to reject the Vulcan child, but a Vulcan woman carrying a half human child that was genetically most Vulcan due to dominate Vulcan genetics - wouldn't need the same level of medical intervention?

Although, far be it from me to contradict soft canon - I'm a big booster of the relaunch books.

My mother was a labor/delivery/neo-natal nurse, so I'd get a lot of second-hand info about things related to childbirth and infants while I was growing up. The one thing that stuck with me as far as this topic goes is the incompatibility of blood type, particularly when it comes to RH factor. Since (in Humans anyway :) the mother's blood supply is the baby's blood supply for the duration of the pregnancy, I could see that as being one of the big medical issues for Vulcan mother and hybrid baby.

On the other hand, we've developed ways around this so why wouldn't someone develop a way around "iron vs copper"? And I agree with Honeybee, it may have been more difficult for Amanda (as a Human) than for T'Pol (being Vulcan) carrying a hybrid child with genetics that tip towards dominant Vulcan genes. For example, blood type would be the same and the possibility of rejection (as with Rh factors in real life pregnancies) wouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, that's a long tangent since the original question was about canon sources for the fandom idea that extensive medical intervention is necessary. Much as I find the medical aspects fascinating, I'm taking the easy way out in my fics too and just letting the reader assume that 22nd century doctors have figured it out. :) They can choose to assume it was easy or hard, depending on their preferences and perspective on canon.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Episodes, Arcs, and Seasons