the delphic expanse

Archer/Reed fic recs

By popular demand, here's the place where Archer/Reed shippers can represent.

Re: Archer/Reed fic recs

Postby Glory1863 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:15 pm

So I was reading Mareel's Curves the other night and thought she had written a very touching sequel to it. Looked all over for it before finally coming to the conclusion that perhaps she wasn't the author. Did a little more looking and finally found it. Prometheus by Taryn Eve deathfic, rated R. Also from her Mythology series is Ithaca which is not a deathfic and is rated PG-13. If you like these, especially her take on Reed, then check out the rest of the series. True, there is a lot of deathfic, but mythology is like that. What are you going to do? :dontknow
MR_Beautiful avatar by M&M (Mareel and Misplaced)
Glory1863
Captain

Postby mareel » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:58 pm

Glory1863 wrote
Also from her Mythology series is Ithaca

"Ithaca" is the story that made me want/need to write. I love it and always love going back to read it again. I would also highly recommend Taryn Eve's Rook [R] (not deathfic). The extended chess metaphor is powerful and the story captures the beginnings of their relationship in a very believable way.

She was a very significant influence on my writing, both with her stories and with her community activities. She established the Reed's Armory Yahoo group and Archive which she later passed on to me, and also curated a small selective archive for Reed-centric stories by a diverse group of authors (which probably is no longer out there). And she was one of the founders of the EntWriteBrigade, whose LiveJournal community prompted me to first join LJ. The challenges and support I found there gave me the feedback and encouragement I needed to keep writing. I know this part isn't strictly a rec, but sometimes it's good to just acknowledge our early roots and mentors and inspiration.
mareel
Lt. Commander

Postby Glory1863 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:34 pm

mareel wrote: I would also highly recommend Taryn Eve's Rook [R] (not deathfic). The extended chess metaphor is powerful and the story captures the beginnings of their relationship in a very believable way.

I don't recall having read this before. A/R shippers should definitely check it out. It's wonderful! Thank you for mentioning it, Mareel.
MR_Beautiful avatar by M&M (Mareel and Misplaced)
Glory1863
Captain

Postby Section69 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:01 am

Glory1863 wrote:So I was reading Mareel's Curves the other night and thought she had written a very touching sequel to it. Looked all over for it before finally coming to the conclusion that perhaps she wasn't the author. Did a little more looking and finally found it. Prometheus by Taryn Eve deathfic, rated R. Also from her Mythology series is Ithaca which is not a deathfic and is rated PG-13. If you like these, especially her take on Reed, then check out the rest of the series. True, there is a lot of deathfic, but mythology is like that. What are you going to do? :dontknow

Thank you for pointing these out. I read Prometheus. I love the way she used Porthos to bring home the fact that Archer's gone.

Oddly, I like well done deathfic, albeit in very small doses since the angst can get me really wound up. That's a weird admission to make, given the fact that I hated the last episode of Enterprise, precisely because it is "deathfic". I think somehow fanfic authors make me feel the death is more ... right ... somehow. Sad, heartbreaking, tear-jerking, but often so in keeping with the characters.

That, and nobody really dies because there's always another fic around the corner where everybody's FINE. :D
Section69
Lieutenant JG

Previous

Return to Archer and Reed (Slash)