the delphic expanse

The Hunger Games

Discuss non Trek books and book series here.

Re: The Hunger Games

Postby creek_chub » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:46 pm

Honest to goodness, I'm not sure I consciously noticed that the books were written in present tense. I guess I'm pretty good at tuning it out, lol. I'm planning a reread soon, hopefully, so I'll have to make a note of it.
creek_chub
Lieutenant

Postby crystalswolf » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:55 pm

After watching the recent trailer, I thought I'd give the books a chance. I figured that it would make for excellent light 15 min reading right before going to sleep. The first person, present tense, small child reading level almost made me give up in the first chapter, but gradually the story hooked me and either her writing improved or I stopped noticing.

Finished all 3 books in a week, lost A LOT of sleep and drank a shameful amount of coffee just to function during the day. :(

The movie was co-written by the author and from what I've seen in the trailer, I think what she's written in the book may work better on film. I think I even saw an IMDB posting of 2 and 3 listed as "in production". Also, it seems she most likely had a hand in casting as well. Josh Hutcherson said she was there for the auditions, including the cave scene to test for chemistry.

As for comparing to Twilight, I think the only thing these two series have in common is that there is a love triangle with people using teams for their suitor of choice (Team Peeta!). 3rd book excluded, Katniss is a strong female character who actively protects those she loves while Bella doesn't protect as much as need protection from her loved ones.
crystalswolf

Postby creek_chub » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:42 pm

crystalswolf wrote:The movie was co-written by the author and from what I've seen in the trailer, I think what she's written in the book may work better on film.

This makes sense seeing as how the game itself is a televised event. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it all played out.

As for comparing to Twilight, I think the only thing these two series have in common is that there is a love triangle with people using teams for their suitor of choice (Team Peeta!).

Oddly enough, my husband actually picked up these books before I did. The whole time I was reading them, I kept bugging my poor husband with "She ends up with Peeta, right? Gale's such a jerk, you can just tell."

3rd book excluded, Katniss is a strong female character who actively protects those she loves while Bella doesn't protect as much as need protection from her loved ones.

I was a bit disappointed in the third book, although it wasn't so much with how Katniss is portrayed as it was that I thought the author really could have expounded more on the rebellion. It seemed to get tied up in a neat little bow much too quickly.
creek_chub
Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Book Talk